Need help on a sudoku assembly program / can give green

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=36496

theman2005

31-03-2006 17:28:50

I was wondering if anyone can help me on this. I simply, at the moment, want to draw the grid of a sudoku table using assembly language (MASM) and to have the user type in a number in each box. I would greatly appreciate if anyone is able to. I can give you +Karma or help you get a green if you can help me out.

Thanks in advance

dmorris68

31-03-2006 18:13:15

Since you said MASM I have to assume DOS? Because I hope for your sake you aren't trying to do it in Windows with assembler.

It's been awhile since I coded in x86 assembler, but drawing the grid would be a piece of cake in DOS. Doing the screen/cursor management to get user input in each box would be a little more work. Back in the mid-80's I coded assembler every day for a living, so I could have knocked this out in 15 minutes probably. ) The extent of my assembler work today is limited mostly to reverse engineering.

tonydanza92

31-03-2006 18:59:20

I have an excel spreadsheet that has the sudoku grid in it and tells you anything you wanna know about it.. just imput the given numbers

theman2005

31-03-2006 19:01:24

i just use notepad to type my assembly language. Think you can help?

Thanks

dmorris68

31-03-2006 19:15:22

[quote603a27f318="theman2005"]i just use notepad to type my assembly language. Think you can help?

Thanks[/quote603a27f318]
???

I was asking what your target OS is. Are you trying to make a Windows GUI app? If so, don't bother. While it can be done, unless your name is Steve Gibson, don't even try to write an assembler Windows GUI app that does much beyond pop a MessageBox.

I was assuming you were going for DOS. Pretty easy to do there.

This sounds like a school project. Is it? I can't imagine why else you would be wanting to do it in assembler. And if it is a school project, then I would hope it's an advanced class and you would be far enough along to know what you were doing.

theman2005

31-03-2006 19:23:02

its ran in the command prompt (DOS) . And we just started assembly language recently in the class. We were learning circuitry and logic previously..... so i'm completely new to assembly.

Thanks though.

dmorris68

31-03-2006 19:41:29

[quoted207c42ab7="theman2005"]its ran in the command prompt (DOS) . And we just started assembly language recently in the class. We were learning circuitry and logic previously..... so i'm completely new to assembly.

Thanks though.[/quoted207c42ab7]

Okay, DOS is what I figured.

What kind of help are you looking for? Have you ever done any coding at all? Starting off the bat with assembler is going to be daunting if you've never coded.

I'm not going to do it for you, as it's a school project. I'm a parent myself, you have to understand. ) But if you have specific questions then ask away.

The first tip I'll give you is to get a real programmer's editor and ditch notepad. There are many free ones available, including Crimson, jEdit, Notepad++, and Programmer's Notepad, among others.

Some helpful assembler links

Art of Assembly Language Programming[=http//webster.cs.ucr.edu/]Art of Assembly Language Programming (a classic asm work)
assemblylanguage.net[=http//www.cheapersunglasses.com/asm.html]assemblylanguage.net

theman2005

31-03-2006 20:24:26

Oh, not a whole project, i got the basics ready. But when i do a line like this

String1 BYTE DAh C0h B3h

it gives an error. they are all hex codes that i want to put together. I just need to know how i can put them together so i can build a table using the ASCII symbol.