Finally settled in AK... New problems arise.

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=36056

h3x

25-03-2006 17:50:45

After getting everything settled in my new place, I decide to hook up my computer. But the computer won't show anything at all.. The monitor says "Check signal" and I can hear the computer is on (however there is no pleasant POST beep that I usually hear from my computer). So I figure its the PSU.. So I go out to buy a brand new PSU (100 watts more than my original 250watt), I hook everything up and fire it up... Still nothing. The computer runs, but I still get no display on my computer at all and still no POST beep.. Can someone help me please? I would greatly appreciate it. (In the meantime, I'm stuck using the public library which limits your usage to 1 hour a day and the speed is that of dial-up, which can be frustrating at times)

Cash4Cookies

25-03-2006 18:06:07

this has happened to me about 3 times, and it always happeneds when I move my computer around. Everytime its been a loose chip on the motherboard, which is a pain in the ass. If you are getting the fans running, and everything looking like it should work, its gonna be the motherboard. What brand mobo is it?

Edit Might be a video card too, try picking up a cheap pci one from a local computer shop. if not the video card, definatly something bad on the mobo.

freedesktoppc

25-03-2006 20:17:50

[quoteadda888fb4="h3x"]After getting everything settled in my new place, I decide to hook up my computer. But the computer won't show anything at all.. The monitor says "Check signal" and I can hear the computer is on (however there is no pleasant POST beep that I usually hear from my computer). So I figure its the PSU.. So I go out to buy a brand new PSU (100 watts more than my original 250watt), I hook everything up and fire it up... Still nothing. The computer runs, but I still get no display on my computer at all and still no POST beep.. Can someone help me please? I would greatly appreciate it. (In the meantime, I'm stuck using the public library which limits your usage to 1 hour a day and the speed is that of dial-up, which can be frustrating at times)[/quoteadda888fb4]

This happened to me the first time I built a computer, like you I bought a new PSU, didnt work, bought a new video card, still didn't work, and then I realized the cmos jumper was set to reset. If your computer worked before, it might not be that, but maybe one of the covers of a jumper fell off.

UniPrize Media

25-03-2006 20:24:49

Open up your computer and make sure everything is connected. It seems like a video card problem. Make sure the stick didnt come loose.

cwncool

25-03-2006 21:22:21

just wondering, but why'd you move to alaska?

andreliveson

25-03-2006 23:13:24

Alaska is serious tons of mountains and wildlife, snow ) No people and crime. Governement pays you some for living there. Ahhh wish i was there..

Happened to me before also check your ram sticks, unplug them from the little connector clips and redo the clips after you put the ram in.

Hope it works.

xigxag

25-03-2006 23:26:24

yes like others have said check for chip creep. Unplug all drives and cards from the motherboard, and power on with only ram and video card. You need a known working video card to pinpoint the problem. I would reseat the cpu and heatsink, and the ram, and check all jumpers with the help of your mobo manual (print it off from the library if you don't have it anymore) This will also ensure your system speaker is connected properly. If you get the same result with just ram and video card, take the known working video card out and try to power on, if still no beep indicators, take the ram out aswell. At this point it should be beeping like crazy, (print out the beep code trasnlation of your board (or your BIOS maker i should say) also while at the library) if not, time for a new mobo.

btw, good to see you back. I had been wondering about you and alaska

edit also, while you are trying the things I mentioned above, or even before that remove your cmos battery from the motherboard and leave it out for 30 minutes. put it back and try again.

PsychoAU

26-03-2006 00:35:13

Make sure the mobo isn't in contact with the metal on the case. That was the problem I had once with those symptoms. If it was just the video card, you would probably still get the post beep or a different beep warning about the card. But check that anyway. I think it is definitely the mobo. Maybe got an ESD while you were moving.

syriandoode

26-03-2006 01:29:19

alaskans can get weed too. remember that one thread where all we did was talk about differnt kinds n stuff?

h3x

27-03-2006 01:46:28

[quote2c49c6823d]alaskans can get weed too. remember that one thread where all we did was talk about differnt kinds n stuff?[/quote2c49c6823d]

Ahhh... good times ) [I was the one who made that thread btw..]

I decided to set the PC aside and get a new mobo/cpu for it later.. I had to buy a new PC from wal-mart today.. Finally, I'm all set. Thanks again for all the help

Godrockdj

27-03-2006 06:15:56

So how is Alaska so far?

h3x

27-03-2006 10:52:10

[quoteb8627f6f0b]So how is Alaska so far?[/quoteb8627f6f0b]

It's God's country. And there's nothing better than that lol

JordanE

27-03-2006 10:56:53

[quoteb5a94a1ed4="h3x"][quoteb5a94a1ed4]So how is Alaska so far?[/quoteb5a94a1ed4]

It's God's country. And there's nothing better than that lol[/quoteb5a94a1ed4]

Enjoy paying almost international rates for shipping lol