Laptop Problems

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=35942

bballp6699

24-03-2006 09:19:38

I bought a laptop from Dell the other week. Hoping to sell the one I got from pcs.freepay. I didn't feel like waiting anymore. It was working like a champ until last night.

I booted up last night and it took forever, I thought nothing of it. Today I started using it and while I'm moving my mouse around on websites, it will randomly just stop and sit there. Then it will be fine in a couple seconds or so.

I've had it on A LOT, but figured that wouldn't be a problem because a lot of people use them as their "Desktops".

Any other ideas on what might be causing this? Might just be temporary, but I'm still pissed...

Dell Inspiron 600m 1.4 Ghz
1 Gig Ram
32 Mg Video Ram...

manOFice

24-03-2006 09:24:04

maybe the hdd is going...i hate dells...where i work alls we work with is dell...i'll never buy one...ever

CollidgeGraduit

24-03-2006 09:24:53

[quote3e91405a60="manofice"]maybe the hdd is going...i hate dells...where i work alls we work with is dell...i'll never buy one...ever[/quote3e91405a60]

Yeah, we have over 500 Dells here.. they run like tanks though, they rarely have any non-user-inflicted problems.

i blame history

24-03-2006 09:37:47

thats really strange. i have nad my inspiron 5100 since january of 2004 (its a fossil) and i have only encountered one problem, and its one that iguess most laptops in general encounter sooner or later, usually later. the "prongs" or whatever they are called, the metal that is attached to the motherboard that connects to the AC adapter when the computer is plugged in, came loose. for a couple days i couldnt understand why my computer was shut down and out of power when i woke up, and it took me forever to get the comuetr to realize it was plugged in to AC power. i did a bit of research, and realized i had a $500 porblem, or so i read. thinking my warranty had been up for exactly a year, i just about cried. but then i realized that my dad had been very persistant it getting the extended warranty, which i realized covers my computer until a nice 2008. within a week, there was someone at my house fixing it for free.
since you JUST got the computer. surely there is some kind of warranty, even if you didnt purchase anything extra. i remember there being a one year warranty included in the initial cost.

in other news, i realized that i can put more memory in my computer without voiding the warranty. in fact, dell has a nice illustrated 'how to' guide on their website. of course, customners can (supposedly) only get to one of the slots, while in order to get to the second one, you have to take it to some authorized place. but still. i have 512 in 2 dimms... im thinking of doing away with the one 256 and splurging on a 512 card for a total of 768. worth it?

johnjimjones

24-03-2006 09:40:24

I try not to have my Dell on too much. Maybe it needs a good refresh defrag or whatnot.

bballp6699

24-03-2006 10:31:22

Yeah, I'm going to start turning it off more at night.

I got the one year warrenty, so if it's something big, I'll go that route.

kevxross

24-03-2006 10:44:50

How long you leave it on shouldn't matter at all. Unless you're running Windows 95 on it or something, which you're not. If it keeps up I'd call Dell.