Hmmm....fractals in chemistry?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=35825

Strike

22-03-2006 22:01:03

I have to write a 4000 word extended essay in my grade 12 year and I'm advised by my teachers to get started now.

I've decided to do my essay in chemistry and was wondering if fractals can play a role in identifying unknown and known substances. (Similar to the ability of the mass spectrometer)
I'm sure many of you are taking advanced chemistry courses and can offer an insight into my topic.

cartrenroy

22-03-2006 22:08:47

I don't think so, fractals are like patterns, like the same thing repeats over and over again - right?

I don't think you can identify a UNKNOWN substance (with fractals)

Strike

22-03-2006 22:14:52

Or possibly known substances. Fractals can be created through some electrodeposition process in which you apply a current, some acid onto an element over filter paper, which will produce a fractal image of that element. But I'm not sure if it will produce an unique image because of the atomic structure of that element.

JennyWren

22-03-2006 22:46:30

you might be able to explore crystal formation from solutions, because crystals always tend to form the same angles for a give compound, therefore you would expect to see the same shapes at different levels (compare large and small quartz crystals as a simple example)