Lost ~ Theories and Thoughts

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=35489

theysayjump

18-03-2006 14:10:36

Now that this show has me officially intrigued and somewhat addicted and I'm now up to date, I'd like to hear some of your thoughts about it as to what's actually going on on the island?

I've been trawling various Lost forums and there are a shitload of different theories and opinions, as well as a lot of research and some very detailed threads showing things you may have missed, discrepencies etc. I'm not entirely sure what's going on on the island, but there are a few things that have me puzzled. Depending on how far through you are, this may contain spoilers. I'm up to Series 2, episode 15 (Maternity Leave).

Thus far, you haven't actually seen ANYONE hit the island/water during the crash. You see parts of the plane, with people in the water, but never actually see anyone in the plane and then the plane hit the water or island.

Also, if the tailies all ended up in another part of the island, and the losties ended up in the part we know of with the wreckage on the beach, why did Jack wake up in the middle of the Jungle?

I think in episode 2 or 3 of the first series, Kate calls Sawyer "Sawyer" but you never see him tell anyone his name, as well as Locke saying "Walt, can I tell you a secret?" but how did he know Walts name?

I think Walt has psychic powers/abilities. He's reading the comic with the Polar Bears and then Sawyer shoots a Polar Bear, Michael tells Walt he'll find his dog as soon as the rain stops, then the Rain stops, he touches Lockes arm and tells him to not open the Hatch even though it's only Locke and Boone who know about it, he was pissed that his mum and Brian weren't listening to him so he made the bird he was studying fly into the window and he's communicating with Michael through the computer.

Also, if you add the numbers up (4+8+15+16+23+42) you get 108 and the Egyptian Hieroglyphics that Locke saw mean (Cause To Die).

One popular theory is that the crash never happened and people were placed on the island by the Dharma Initiative for whatever reason which as of yet can only be speculated. They were placed on the island, the crash simulated, memories altered to make them think they were in a crash and then woken up where we saw them. There are some really fucked up theroies that go in to an immense amount of detail.

I'm not sure where I stand about it yet, but it's definitely not as it appears to be.

ragefu

18-03-2006 14:23:56

Yeah Walt is definitely psychic, I think that's why they took him away. And I've heard the one about them being placed there, I also heard they're in a mental hospital and just imagining the whole thing. And your right it makes no sense how so many survived the crash and why everyone wasn't in the water. My real thoughts though are why do they keep showing reruns on Wednesday?

theysayjump

18-03-2006 14:37:21

I only just found that put this Wednesday, but apparently according to one of the writers, they have no control over that, it's ABC's doing. (

Another thing, Henry Gale (the guy whom Danielle (French bird) caught in the net) is also the name of Dorothy's Uncle in The Wizard Of OZ. If he was infact ballooning and crashed on the island and his wife became sick and died, then why hasn't he became sick and why is he (somewhat) clean-shaven? 4 months on a tropical island you would grow more facial hair than he has.

Also, the name of the Cowardly Lion in The Wizard Of OZ was "Zeke" which is the name of the Others' main guy (who is the same guy in Maternity Leave talking to Ethan outside the room that Claire was kept in.

PsychoAU

18-03-2006 14:43:15

well the lost folks have been out there for almost two months and many of them only have light stubble. They probably got razors from people's luggage on the plane. But the baloon guy probably had a razor that he packed for his balooning trip. Or he could have just sharpened a piece of metal or something... I know it is more TV convenience more than anything, but it is possible to stay shaven when on the island. I just don't see why that would be a priority for a person trying to survive though...

ragefu

18-03-2006 15:41:04

Interesting I didn't know the cowardly lion even had a name. And yeah it seems like they would all have beards but then they wouldnt look good for tv, so I guess they did have razors.

Another thing that threw me off was the food. No way all that food wouldn't have gone stale after so long. And I think they've figured out "The Others" is just an act since Zeke even used glue for his beard or whatever

Godrockdj

18-03-2006 15:47:17

AHHH. I [b167c3e0339]do not[/b167c3e0339] have enough time to type all of my thoughts on this "mystery", because that's what it really is. And you're right there is a crapload of theories to pick and choose from. Some are fairly plausible, some are wacko. So in lieu of typing out all of my ideas here are some interesting links

http//4815162342.com/
http//www.thehansofoundation.org/activeproject.html
http//www.unthunk.com/lost/
And of course, the mighty http//lost-forum.com

good2speed

18-03-2006 17:16:31

MY ADVICE IS TO NOT VISIT ANY LOST FORUM.

The show is confusing enough as it is. Just watch the show and eventually we'lll find out all the details. No point in visiting forums where everyone has 1,000,000 different scenarios and you get lost(no pun intended) in thought.

Everyone has their own theory. Just have fun watching it and try not to pay attention to every single detail. Like oh the sky is blue and claire and charlie have blue eyes which must obviously mean they landed in the blue water. Made that up but thats how a lot of the Lost theories are developed.

theysayjump

18-03-2006 17:30:32

Well I know the writers have said the show is self-contained, but it's still interesting to read what other people think about certain things.

I watched it all up until the most recent episode and then began reading the forums. I couldn't believe how much I've actually missed or didn't pick up on, so in that sense I'm glad I did/do look through them.

I'm watching them all again now to try and pick the stuff I missed before.

PsychoAU

18-03-2006 17:31:09

As far as food, I just figured once the peanuts on the plane ran out, they lived on fish. It seems that Jin was very good at catching fish every day. That, plus fruit from the woods. And the occasional boar that they may or may not be able to catch.

The truth of this show is that it is not really showing a survival situation. They stay awfully clean with no soap or shampoo. And I don't exactly see alot of toothpaste floating around.

The series finale will be them finding a crate of altoids and some listerine... )

hehehe

Godrockdj

18-03-2006 17:44:30

[quotefe2110320f="PsychoAU"]As far as food, I just figured once the peanuts on the plane ran out, they lived on fish. It seems that Jin was very good at catching fish every day. That, plus fruit from the woods. And the occasional boar that they may or may not be able to catch.

The truth of this show is that it is not really showing a survival situation. They stay awfully clean with no soap or shampoo. And I don't exactly see alot of toothpaste floating around.

The series finale will be them finding a crate of altoids and some listerine... )

hehehe[/quotefe2110320f]

At this point they have soap, shampoo, etc from the hatch. We saw Kate washing her hair (and the awkward following scene with Jack).

slease

19-03-2006 10:48:20

Love the theories but I don't necessarily subscribe to any of them. I have to say though it may fit in to the wizard of oz plot, Zeke is not actually the mans name, it's just a nickname Sawyer gave him (because sawyer loves giving out nicknames) because of his long beard (which we now know is fake)

theysayjump

19-03-2006 10:51:00

Yeah I love the nicknames Sawyers comes out with.

As for The Wizard Of OZ, alot of those theories (if what they state is true) are pretty coincidental. Especially the part about Return To OZ and The Numbers.

hairyferry

19-03-2006 10:55:46

lol, TSJ, I remember when you first started watching that show and you said you didn't know what the big hype was about the show.. Now you're hooked!! I was in the same boat. The first few episodes didn't really grab me!

theysayjump

19-03-2006 10:57:38

Yeah they were pretty shite but then, like you guys said in that thread, towards the end of the first series it got interesting when shit start happening.

Now watching it all over again, I'm noticing things I hadn't picked up first time around.