Need Networking Help

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=35404

Daggoth

16-03-2006 20:38:44

I use Cox for my internet service and have a wireless network. Basically, it has become impossible for my wireless network to receive any reception in the basement. So, I need two cable modems. Is it possible to do that? I want one cable modem upstairs and one in the basement. What are the effects of having two?

compuguru

16-03-2006 20:42:28

First result on google, this may help
http//forums.cable-modem.net/index.php?action=vthread&forum=1&topic=13

theysayjump

16-03-2006 20:48:50

You'd be better just buying a wireless signal extender or whatever the fuck they're called.

Daggoth

16-03-2006 20:50:47

Compguru - It doesnt say nething specifically towards Cox

Theysayjump - They don't help much \

compuguru

16-03-2006 21:30:22

[quote23144f64ee="Daggoth"]Compguru - It doesnt say nething specifically towards Cox[/quote23144f64ee]
I thought it did,
[quote23144f64ee]A second ip can usually be purchased through your Cable or DSL ISP for usually just a few dollars. Cox Cable provides additional IP for 10.00 USD.

Secondly yes a wireless net adapter can be connected to a wirless ap with static ip and internet .theurl==http://=http:///url best way to do it is first configure the ip staticly in the tcp/ip properties of you adapter,Then access your web config of your particular router and generally you will find it under advanced routing and you will in some case be able to select your adapters physical address (MAC) out of a drop down list and configure th ip parameters in the router to be a static route.I have also found that if its not done in this way that linksys routers tend to have conflicting IP's.And i have also ran into routers where the wirless WLAN works great but the switching portion of the router is bad or vice versa. so the network bottleneck on the other posting could be a bad router.Or the PC could also be affected by spyware.but if its actual DNS errors you are getting i would configure your ISP's DNS setting on your friends adapter staticaly.and check ip config to see if it is the router that is assigned as DNS.Another thing to check is to try and flush and re-regiters his dns by opening a command prompt and typing ipconfig/flushdns then when that is complete try ipconfig/registerdns.The DNS error you are probably seeing is just a error page that says this page cannot be displayed etc.and if so it could be a bad modem or if the coax was not ran corectly could cause intermittent connectivity.The cable line should always be ran all the way back to your main line bypassing subscriber amplifers and tv's.and if this is done it could be a return problem on the cable system or the drop comming to your home.The return path and your downstream path operate on two differant bands.Your downstream could be ok your upstream path may be bad.Also what i find to cause both bad updtream paths and downstream paths are bad splitters such as radioshack spliters.Cable modems work on bands usually over 900mhz.So its very important to use only 1000 mhz splitters or better. [/quote23144f64ee]

Daggoth

16-03-2006 22:15:56

Thanks, but I dont need a second IP address, just wanted to use the same IP with another modem. and if someone can translate the second paragraph...

i blame history

16-03-2006 22:53:23

im not sure if this will help you exactly, but its pretty relevant...

when my boyfriend is at his parents house, he lives in the [finished] basement. they have earthlink cable internet through time warner cable. i gave him my old computer, and it was to go in the basement. we thought getting a cable modem and hooking it up would work. it didnt, and when we called earthlink, they said they would have to gett heir cable "split" and it would basically double their ENTIRE cable television bill, and they offered to up my boyfriends dads monthly internet bill in order to give him liwireless home networkingli.
so screw that. we did what i did when i was at home. we went and got a router, hooked it up upstairs and for some reason, the wireless signal is stronger in that basement of that large house than it is in my parents tiny one story house.
its just a regular belkin wireless G router.

JOSHBOX

16-03-2006 23:21:38

wireless bridge.

PsychoAU

16-03-2006 23:48:01

you cannot run one ip through two modems. Each modem requires its own ip. Through Charter (my provider) you have to pay for another full account to have a second modem. You should just get a signal extender or a wireless bridge. There really is no reason to have a second modem in your house. Doesn't really add anything and you can pay the same money you would on a modem and jus buy a bridge. If you buy a modem it will be about $30 or $40 on ebay, plus $10 a month for another ip. You will save alot more money just to buy a signal extender or a bridge. done... and done.

tramahound

17-03-2006 11:46:46

if you can run cat5 cable can't you just get a switch/hub/router down there?

jadem

17-03-2006 12:17:15

[quote2c62fb45af="tramahound"]if you can run cat5 cable can't you just get a switch/hub/router down there?[/quote2c62fb45af]

That's what I was thinking!!! Let me get back to you in a few minutes. My fiance is a network engineer for wirless infrastructures at Purdue (i.e., he maintains and controls over 1200 acess points throughout all of campus...alone!).

Edit You do NOT need to buy a second connection from the cable company but rather just install a switch/hub/router in the basement. If you HAVE to have wireless in the basement, you can buy another total unit (AP plus router box, such as the Linksys WRT54g) and it would be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper and easier. Good luck!

Daggoth

17-03-2006 13:37:50

umm okay this is what I gathered

I should run a CAT5 cable to my basement that. This will wook up two wireless routers?

Can someone tell me what I need to buy so I can wire my upstairs wireless router to my basement, which expands my network so the basement gets Wireless receptio?

HumanMan

17-03-2006 14:02:23

Ignore the cat5 thing unless you have a tiny house. Use this http//www.netgear.com/products/details/WGXB102.php

Daggoth

17-03-2006 15:31:35

[quoted37ab2b08b="HumanMan"]Ignore the cat5 thing unless you have a tiny house. Use this http//www.netgear.com/products/details/WGXB102.php[/quoted37ab2b08b]

is that compatible with a Linksys G router?

HumanMan

17-03-2006 16:31:44

yup