sopranos premiere season 6 - spoilers inside****

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=35215

jy3

13-03-2006 19:56:54

so a new thread. what does everyone think?

theysayjump

13-03-2006 20:02:11

Yeah this thread's not bad, there's not much going on in here though. shrug

dmorris68

13-03-2006 21:13:54

Finally got a chance to watch it tonight off the PVR. In HD, no less. )

Excellent start to the series. Unfortunately we didn't get to see enough of Meadow. ;)

Ya think Tony will buckle now and put Uncle June in an old folks home? I think so...

Wolfeman

13-03-2006 23:08:44

Meadow dancing at the begining was pretty tight. I wonder what will happen with Tony and Uncle June...

Stroid

14-03-2006 00:13:43

yeah that episode was great to bad i dont really know the story line from the old seasons i guess ill be doing alot of dl from mininova uncle june is fucking crazy

xigxag

14-03-2006 08:14:21

I was totally weirded out by one of the first scenes where it showed Aderianne talking with carmella. Can you believe Jun shot Tony! I jumped out of my chair when it happened. Right before it happened, did you hear how Tony jokingly say that he was that Johnny guy that jun was paranoid about. Jun says something like stay right where you are, then he comes down and shoots him HAH!

2 rats dead in one episode, and neither were actually wacked, or even known about. I bet there will be a new rat now since there aren't anymore we know about in tony's crew. Might be someone big, like christopher.

MightyMouse

14-03-2006 08:44:24

[quote2cc3ab9ef5="xigxag"]I bet there will be a new rat now since there aren't anymore we know about in tony's crew. Might be someone big, like christopher.[/quote2cc3ab9ef5]

Did you catch any of the last episodes from the 5th season? He's no rat...

Watch for big moves from Paulie...He's going to be instrumental in this season. (And not in a good way for Tony ;))

hrdfarkr

14-03-2006 08:51:18

[quote8870c65fb7="xigxag"]Right before it happened, did you hear how Tony jokingly say that he was that Johnny guy that jun was paranoid about. Jun says something like stay right where you are, then he comes down and shoots him HAH![/quote8870c65fb7]

Actually he says he's Artie Shaw, June is convinced that Pussy Malanga (not sure on the spelling) is coming back to get him...he killed him 6 yrs ago. (He was supposed to kill him at Artie Bucco's restaurant Vesuvio, but Tony had it burned down so he couldn't...you know...to save Artie's restaurant from being the location of a hit) When he comes downstairs he says, "Amazare Malanga" (I think...and again...spelling) which loosely translates to "Die Malanga".

justinag06

14-03-2006 11:05:25

yeah artie shaw was a big band leader, pussy malanga goes all the way back to the very first episodes

I bet they keep tony MIA for a while. Should set up an intresting sub-plot with whoever takes over as acting boss, especcially having to deal with phil.

anyone notice how Johnny told him not to argue over splits, and phil said "i'll hold the line" yet instead he upped the spilt?

I'm guessing phil is gonna try and take full advantage of tony being dead/in the hospital, and whichever capo takes over in the soprano crew

xigxag

14-03-2006 15:18:18

[quotef3c7cb9c5b="MightyMouse"][quotef3c7cb9c5b="xigxag"]I bet there will be a new rat now since there aren't anymore we know about in tony's crew. Might be someone big, like christopher.[/quotef3c7cb9c5b]

Did you catch any of the last episodes from the 5th season? He's no rat...

Watch for big moves from Paulie...He's going to be instrumental in this season. (And not in a good way for Tony ;))[/quotef3c7cb9c5b]

I know he isn't a rat now, and probally wouldn't ever after showing his dedication with the Ade thing. You never know tho, if he (or someone else) gets pinched hard.

jy3

14-03-2006 15:50:11

some interesting things from the premier

anyone else think it was HILARIOUS when vito looked over the food and then mouthed the hot dog. quite amusing

interesting how uncle junior shoot tony shortly after tony talks to his shrink and they come to the conclusion that tony is doing exactly what he did to his mother to uncle junior. allowing himself to be guilted and blaming himself for their problems, including planning to kill him. then he gets shot!

great parralelism with johnny and tony; johnny needs to sell his car, carmella gets a new one; johnny is in jail while his case gets firmed up before the trial and tony gets two rats killed, one by suicide and the other by a timely heart attack or stroke.

interesting that carmella is the person with the dreams now. tony has ALWAYS had dreams before crucial decisions and actions needed to be made. they always told him what his subconscious knew. NOW carm is the one with the dream about aide.

i think tony will be back. short stay in the hospital and then back on his feet, with his anger hard to control.

vito is planning on wacking tony. he asked his henchman, the guy who killed himself. should be interesting...

jy3

14-03-2006 15:53:00

something else I just thought of. tony and his shrink have a conversation about the circle of life. tony is taking care of junior like his mother took care of him, junior is senile and without his teeth almost reverts to a baby (in diapers soon, etc). Most heroes in mythology need to go thru a death-like experience before rising to more power. Is this that act for tony? a rebirth of sorts

justinag06

14-03-2006 16:22:00

yeah I totally missed the vito thing with the hot dog. I do think he is up to something, and his constant yacking about his new found health already seems to be getting to the other guys. The fact that every scence with Phil ends with vito walking off with him, suggests he might be involved in some sort of power play behind tony's back. Did I hear correctly vito and phil are cousins?

also carm re-uniting with angie bompensaro days after she dreamt of aide. I think she is soon to confront tony about all these people who are MIA. She knows deep down that something is up, and I think she will put two and two together and remember the night aide ran away crying when she almost cracked in front of the other girls.

last time we saw paulie he felt uneasy about his status in the group and was killing old ladys for mattress money, who know what he is up to now. I hope to see more of him next week.

also some more tony insight, when he was called to come back to take care of uncle june he was on his ship. The capitan commandering his ships course, being called back to take care of his family. He constantly feels humbled by his family, and ironically it was his family that is always the cause of his death. First his mother, now his uncle(although im sure he will blame janice over this)

got ahold of the lyrics from the opening sequence

[Shot of Vito, then Janice nursing the baby, then Bobby's model train.]
"Top soul, and the first to leave at the moment of death, is Ren, the Secret Name. This corresponds to my Director. He directs the film of your life from conception to death. The Secret Name is the title of your film. When you die, that's where Ren came in. "

[Shot of Bobby, then to Gene and his wife reading about Gene's inheritance]
"Second soul, and second one off the sinking ship, is Sekem Energy, Power, Light. The Director gives the orders, Sekem presses the right buttons. "

[Meadow, dancing for Finn]
"Number three is Khu, the Guardian Angel. He, she, or it is third man out ... depicted as flying away across a full moon, a bird with luminous wings and head of light. Sort of thing you might see on a screen in an Indian restaurant in Panama. The Khu is responsible for the subject and can be injured in his defense-but not permanently, since the first three souls are eternal. They go back to Heaven for another vessel. The four remaining souls must take their chances with the subject in the Land of the Dead. "

hmmm this reference is to finn proposing to medow. in doing so he avoided having vito wack him for knowing the secret of his homosexuality. (Vito can't wack the boss's daughters fiance, ergo she is finns guardian angel)

[Scene on Ray Curto's tv set, then of Ray on his exercise bike]
"Number four is Ba, the Heart, often treacherous. This is a hawk's body with your face on it, shrunk down to the size of a fist. Many a hero has been brought down, like Samson, by a perfidious Ba. "

nitriv

19-03-2006 19:10:45

What did everyone think of tonight's episode? What did the light that was coming froma distance signify in Tony's dream at the hotel room?

jy3

19-03-2006 20:42:59

well the light was the light of heaven or the light people who have near death experiences report seeing when they are almost dead. tony is always aware of its presence, especially when in his room before he sleeps, just as death is a permanent slumber. I was telling my wife all week that I thought that AJ would enter the mob. this is the perfect time for him to do it. he goes to christopher to ask for help and bang he shoots his uncle and he is part of the family.
I find it very interesting that tony is living an alternative life, a life free from crime, a life in which he is a legitamate businessman. then he does something illegal after losing his wallet and briefcase by impersonating the other guy, falls down stairs and then gets diagnosed with early onset alzheimers, when it was the alzheimers that caused his uncle to shoot him. usually people report seeing their lives played back to them as they relive it while in a coma or during a near death experience.
it was a great episode

Wolfeman

20-03-2006 00:54:33

AJ is a tool )

justinag06

20-03-2006 10:22:24

At first I thought this would be 2-3 episodes, then tony would come back. Now however I think they may run with the coma for a while. Only showing tony in his ongoing dream sequence.

I love what they're doing with AJ though, he is going to seep right into the family without even having his dad know about, before he can undo it.

the beacon of light thing is tricky I read where someone said they thought the beacon of light represnted heaven, and the dream was purgatory for tony. He is boring, bored, and lost. He can't even hook up with girls in his dreams now?

Anyways good theory I like it

the obvious answer is at the end tony is sitting on the bed looks at the beacon of light, then the phone call. The beacon represnts the afterlife, and the phone waking up from the coma, coming back.

What if when tony wakes up he isn't Tony S. anymore but Kevin Flanerty? Maybe he will have alzhiemers too.

What did the monks repsent to ya'll?

snd also that didn't sound like carm on the phone, but I couldn't decide who

jy3

20-03-2006 10:22:31

also, the forestfire obviously represent hell. so he is in purgatory or dreaming of it

justinag06

20-03-2006 10:50:59

good point there are lots of relegious references

the light, the fire, costa mesa= purgatory("what goes on around here" " nothing this place is dead.")

also the tv said sin, salvation, redemption, does this stuff matter?

the monks, I guess they represent the purest form of selflessness. Or the exact opposite of tony, yet in the dream he gets attacked by them.

also the sign, please "bear" with us. I posted an article in the other thread explaining how the bear was tony. It was coming around tortuing Carm, and AJ. Bears in general seem very passive/agressive. Then in the finale of 5, we see tony lumbering through the woods back home, the same path as the bear.

I love the dream sequences cause you keep coming back to them.

Now the guest stars are starting to make sense. Ben kingsley, Julliana Margolies. I'm willing to bet both but at least one will show up in the dream.

I read that Mr. Kinglesly appears in an episode in california, and I think Julliana was a real estate salesmen from NJ.(his wife maybe?)

Wolfeman

20-03-2006 11:17:04

Remember the bear in their backyard too. Tony has more compassion for animals than people. The ducks, Ralph's horse, etc.

justinag06

20-03-2006 11:38:41

yeah thats the bear I was talking about. I think the reference in this episode is that we don't have tony soprano, but this alternate personality(kevin f.)

add adrianas dog to that list too.

Wolfeman

20-03-2006 11:40:12

Yeah. I think this season has been really good so far. I hope Tony isn't in the coma too long cause it'll get old ?

justinag06

20-03-2006 11:50:22

I disagree, it sets up the ending for so many possibilities.

With both bosses away, anything can happen between new york and new jersey.

You have AJ out of college with no guidence, and he is upset and looking to commit murder.

You have tony going through a soul searching awakening kinda thing. He could easily wake up and leave the life he lives as boss

Now imagine all the intresting power plays that may take place over the season, we have vito and phil both setting up for some sort of move.

With tony in the picture all of these events would either never happen or be quickly squashed. Instead we could see AJ kill junior, wind up in jail or in the family in a war with NY, or some sort of trouble and tony walking up to find out he is dead.

I don't think they'll kill off tony in the coma, because him being away then walking up sets up so many possibilities.

also I love sopranos episodes like these, the plot choices, dream sequences and characterizations are what set sopranos apart from any other show, and make it so much different than watching goodfellas or the godfather.

PoPoJiJo

20-03-2006 13:31:29

The big question is do you guys think that someone will take tony out so that they can become the boss my money is on someone trying to take over the family

Wolfeman

20-03-2006 13:33:11

If Tony dies, the show is over. I think someone will make a power play but Chris will own him. He is the next boss...

PoPoJiJo

20-03-2006 13:44:10

[quotec343f02fea="Wolfeman"]If Tony dies, the show is over. I think someone will make a power play but Chris will own him. He is the next boss...[/quotec343f02fea]
I dunno if chris is going to be the next boss, I can see AJ taking his place he is no longer in school because he got expelled and he said he was going to take Junior out this basically sets him up to take part in the "family" Also I think Vitto(the gay guy) is going to make a run at being the boss but I think Pauli will take him out and at the time try and position himself in a place to take over the family with AJ's support yeah I know some of thats far fetched but hey it could happen

Wolfeman

20-03-2006 13:51:05

Vitto is for sure going to be the one that tries to take over. I think the new NY boss is going to make a play at it too. AJ? Are you fucking kidding me? He is waaaaaaaay to much of a fuckup to run the family. He'd be taken out in 2 seconds. I think he'll join the family but I can't even see him being able to be a Capo. He can't run shit...

justinag06

20-03-2006 14:10:12

ironicly enough the only soprano other than tony fit to run the family is medow. She could probably do a fine job of it too, judging from how well she handled herself in this episode.

we will see sil take over things I imagine. Him, chris, and paulie will keep vito from doing any real damage, they already forsee him making this move.

another theory maybe this whole dream is tony exploring the possibility of a life outside the mob, with witness relocation.

Wolfeman

20-03-2006 14:11:31

[quoted489e7fba9="justinag06"]another theory maybe this whole dream is tony exploring the possibility of a life outside the mob, with witness relocation.[/quoted489e7fba9]
I never even thought of that wink

justinag06

20-03-2006 14:16:49

yeah not really a theory it was quite obvious, just felt it needed to be mentioned.

we have to remember the character of tony is that of a tragic hero, and he has consistently dodged any kind of tragedy. He survived an assaination attempt, cancer and a car wreck

He has to pay up this season and I think it will be his children, the obvious choice is AJ, however medow would be much more tragic.

AJ isn't going to run anything, he will just self destruct

nitriv

20-03-2006 15:46:37

AJ isn't going to run anything, he will just self destruct
Hopefully. I hate AJ. He's so selfish, and if I were Carmella I would have someone slap some sense into him.

Wolfeman

20-03-2006 15:47:08

He got a 1.4, HAHA!

nitriv

28-03-2006 13:51:32

I want to hear Justin's thoughts on the new episode.

dmorris68

28-03-2006 13:55:25

It was good to see Tony coming around. I'm all for the drama of Tony being at death's door, but my interest in the series revolves around how Tony conducts his personal and "professional" business, and I've missed that.

It was interesting to see his loyal consiglieri Sil entertaining thoughts about becoming skipper... with a bit of a nudge from his wife. ) Just goes to show that when you're surrounded by criminals, you can't really trust anybody.

Wolfeman

28-03-2006 13:55:54

I love how Tony goes to Irvine to die ?

justinag06

28-03-2006 15:02:13

[quote284329b9cc="dmorris68"]It was good to see Tony coming around. I'm all for the drama of Tony being at death's door, but my interest in the series revolves around how Tony conducts his personal and "professional" business, and I've missed that.

It was interesting to see his loyal consiglieri Sil entertaining thoughts about becoming skipper... with a bit of a nudge from his wife. ) Just goes to show that when you're surrounded by criminals, you can't really trust anybody.[/quote284329b9cc]

I disagree with the part about sil, I think his wife was pushing him, but he remains loyal. The main focus was he was buckling under the pressure, he wasn't decisive, he kept getting the ashma attacks.

He isn't cut out to be a boss, like he said he prefers working behind the scenes.

This episode was the first one so far with real comedic value, the whole Godfather meets saw thing was great.

I love how chris models the hero after himself, "including his cunt of a girlfriend, she was banging the boss behind his back"

dmorris68

28-03-2006 16:01:32

[quotefd0bc4dd30="justinag06"]I disagree with the part about sil, I think his wife was pushing him, but he remains loyal. The main focus was he was buckling under the pressure, he wasn't decisive, he kept getting the ashma attacks.

He isn't cut out to be a boss, like he said he prefers working behind the scenes.

This episode was the first one so far with real comedic value, the whole Godfather meets saw thing was great.

I love how chris models the hero after himself, "including his cunt of a girlfriend, she was banging the boss behind his back"[/quotefd0bc4dd30]
Yeah, his wife was pushing, but he didn't seem to be resisting much. ) I agree that I don't think he's cut out for the job, the stress was getting to him.

Adri never banged Tony though, did she? I've seen every episode and I don't remember that.

Wolfeman

28-03-2006 16:03:03

She didn't but when they were going to buy coke they got into a car accident and Chris thought they did...

dmorris68

28-03-2006 16:06:30

[quote3bd9344d5c="Wolfeman"]She didn't but when they were going to buy coke they got into a car accident and Chris thought they did...[/quote3bd9344d5c]
Oh yeah, I remember that now.

justinag06

28-03-2006 16:07:27

yeah but apparently chris didn't forget about it

Wolfeman

28-03-2006 16:13:29

Yeah he didn't. His movie sounds awesome, I'd totally see it...

nitriv

28-03-2006 18:21:42

I thought it was really funny when Vito hit on Meadow's boyfriend (Fitch?). I wonder if he will tell everyone that Vito is gay.

justinag06

28-03-2006 18:34:18

I don't think he was hitting on him so much as, trying to reiterate the fact that he should keep his mouth shut, or else he's a dead man

Lets think about it, the wiseguys find out vito's gay, and he's a dead man. They wouldnt tolerate that sort of thing, so he will stop at nothing to keep it a secret.

That is partially why Fin proposed to meddow. He knew that vito couldn't whack the fiance of his bosses daughter.

but with tony in the hospital, possibly about to die, if he were to go nothing would be stopping him from killing vito

Wolfeman

28-03-2006 18:35:34

Vito is dead by the end of the season IMO...

PoPoJiJo

28-03-2006 18:48:48

I to think vito is dead by the end of the season and I think it was just as much a warning as well as hitting on him because at the time he didnt think tony was going to make it and thought that he might be the next boss

I still dont think tony will make it the whole season since this is the final season it might be the last episode but I think Tonys gonna get it

Wolfeman

28-03-2006 18:49:59

This might not be the end. Its always up in the air. Until Tony dies there is always a chance of another season...

justinag06

28-03-2006 18:51:17

yeah who knows.

vito is a pivot point for the season though. definatly

PoPoJiJo

28-03-2006 18:51:37

[quotee867299f23="Wolfeman"]This might not be the end. Its always up in the air. Until Tony dies there is always a chance of another season...[/quotee867299f23]
no this is the final season
it took me a minute to find it but this is quoted from the hbo site
"he critically acclaimed, Emmy® - and Peabody-winning HBO series THE SOPRANOS returns for the first part of its sixth season with 12 new episodes, starting SUNDAY, MARCH 12 (900-1000 p.m. ET), followed by other episodes on subsequent Sundays at the same time. [be867299f23]The additional eight episodes of the final season will debut in early 2007[/be867299f23]. "

justinag06

04-04-2006 02:16:06

well another quality episode, not much for action but a good placesetter and lots to think about

food for thought(no spoilers, these guys are merely guessing when they suggest the future)

http//www.guidelive.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/television/stories/DN-sopranos_0403gl.State.Edition1.ac3ef77.html

nitriv

04-04-2006 15:34:07

They have interesting takes on the show, and I definitely agree with the general consensus that this season is the deepest one. I wonder if Tony will be able to overcome his history and family obligations, and join the good side. Should be an interesting few upcoming episodes.

Wolfeman

04-04-2006 22:30:09

If it is the final season is Tony going to get wacked or go to jail? Who is going to take over?

xigxag

06-04-2006 12:37:20

it looks like paulie may really lose it now. I've always wondered about his stability, he always seemed a little off. Now to find out you aunt was your mom has got to fuck with a person.

What direction do you think Tony will take. He seems to be softer now, like when he let the wallet biopsy guy keep his money. And obviously thankful to be alive. However, he was still strong when jonny sac made the first offer, but later gave in to the compromise. And all the religious and philiosphy has been keeping his interest. I thing we will be seeing a different Tony after the coma.

nitriv

20-04-2006 21:26:41

What does everyone make of the whole Vito thing? I think this really pits the old Tony (strong, tough and unrelenting) vs. the new Tony (sympathetic and understanding). I think at the end that Tony just isn't strong enough to force change in the mafia, and that he will authorize the killing of Vito.

Wolfeman

20-04-2006 22:53:04

I thought all the subtle gay jokes were pretty funny...

Kidd

05-04-2007 20:33:51

episode 13 of season 6 is out on torrents

fucking great

Wolfeman

06-04-2007 07:55:35

Yeah I saw a preair version floating around. I'd rather wait for it to air...

nytrate

06-04-2007 07:57:04

this show really took a nose dive

The last season was the worst I've ever seen. It sucks because I invested so much time in the whole series which has been excellent.

I guess I'll see it through to the end for the sake of completeness. More psyched about entourage thou