Need thoughts on problem with 4G 20gb iPod...

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=34892

dcrainmaker

09-03-2006 07:53:16

Hey guys...I have a question that I thought some of you might be able to help me with.

I've had a 4G 20gb iPod for about 15 months now. Recently, I started having some power issues with it--basically, it functioned perfectly except for the fact that it wouldn't "hold" a charge (that is, after sitting idly for roughly 8 hours after a full charge, all power would be gone). After replacing the battery didn't fix the problem, I determined it was the logic board. Well, the logic board has been replaced and it's now functioning flawlessly again. That's great and all, but now I want to make sure I don't cause the same thing to happen again. In this vein, I've narrowed it down to two possible causes, and I'd like to hear you guys' thoughts on which is more likely in your opinion to have caused the logic board to go bad.

Do you think it's more likely that it was caused by charging it on a third-party car dock (which plugs into cigarette lighter outlet), or by my girlfriend using it at the tanning bed? To clarify, she said only once was the iPod inside the bed (for about 15-20 minutes) and that, although it was inside the bed, it was on the part where there were no bulbs (at the very top). I will say that I first noticed the problem shortly after she took it to the tanning bed (although I'm not positive that this is when it started).

I guess the main reason I'm asking is I want to know if I should avoid using the car charger in the future. Any thoughts/opinions would be tremendously appreciated.

megotcash

09-03-2006 08:23:54

i don't think the car charger really did it, but i can't say what did. i understand when a batter goes dead, but the logic board thing doesn't make since. i guess somethings just break and you have to live with it. i have used many car chargers with many ipods, and haven't ever had a problem.

dcrainmaker

09-03-2006 09:05:13

[quotef13b558f13="megotcash"]i don't think the car charger really did it, but i can't say what did. i understand when a batter goes dead, but the logic board thing doesn't make since. i guess somethings just break and you have to live with it. i have used many car chargers with many ipods, and haven't ever had a problem.[/quotef13b558f13]

thanks for the response. I tend to agree--I had used the car charger for quite some time before the problem occurred and, like I said above, I noticed the problem within a couple of days of her going to the tanning bed with it. I really think it was related to that.

Anyone else like to chime in?