Dave Chappelle's BLOCK PARTY!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=34479

FreeOffersNow

04-03-2006 10:47:01

Anybody see this last night? I went with my girlfriend, and brought my nephew along. I didn't expect the "documentary like" format, but overall I enjoyed it. If you like Mos Def, Common, Talib Kweli, Kanye West, John Legend, The Fugees, Dead Prez, The Roots, Jill Scott, Erika Badu, etc....they all had great performances in it.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever seen more black people in a theater...ever, and some guy played "I'm Rick James BITCH" on his cell phone right as the credits started to come down, so it was a pretty hilarious ending to the movie...not to mention that some guys in the row in front of us were smokin a blunt...just randomly in the middle of the theater...until the cops came in...after that they straightened up pretty quick idea

drummer_kew_03

04-03-2006 10:50:10

I might go see it if I knew I wouldn't be the only white person in the theater. It would probably remind me of the time that me and my friends went to see RunTelDat.

Wolfeman

04-03-2006 10:50:26

I love Mos Def and Talib Kweli. I'll check it out soon...

ilanbg

04-03-2006 10:51:30

lol

I need to see that movie.

Stroid

04-03-2006 10:58:15

yeah i saw it last night i thought it was pretty damn funny and the music was good also

Wolfeman

04-03-2006 10:59:26

I wish Chappelle would stop being such a bitch and go back to Comedy Central and at least finish out the 2 years of his contract...

turpentinedreams

04-03-2006 11:04:53

if you like shit, you might like
"Dave Chappelle's BLOCK PARTY!"

drummer_kew_03

04-03-2006 11:11:51

Anyone see Dave on Inside the Actors Studio? He talked a lot about the whole africa thing and why how he's having a hard time being this famous. It was also pretty funny.

Wolfeman

04-03-2006 11:15:09

I've seen a lot of him since he's gotten back into the world. I kinda understand where he is coming from since he is a really private person and he didn't like the way Comedy Central was taking his show but man up and do it. He got paid millions to do the show and he didn't have to sign it or if he wanted more control, that should've been in the contract. Its hard because I think he is so damn funny but I can't stand his attitude about it all...

good2speed

04-03-2006 11:16:33

Think I'm gonna wait till I get a glock before I see this movie.

I heard TSJ has a good deal on glocks and tecs. lol

Figured if I go see this movie and its funny then I'm gonna have to buck a few shots at the screen.

noojerz

04-03-2006 11:38:02

Seems kind of random, but still good.

x323smostwantedx

04-03-2006 12:35:12

Imma see it for sure.

PsychoAU

04-03-2006 12:58:04

I think Chappelle is only good when he has a team of writers writing his material. He did a performance at my college a couple of years ago and was so fucking retarded. He kept talking about some baby selling crack on a corner. I walked out half way through and I normally like Chappelle. The TV show was great, but when he writes his own stuff, he blows ass.

Wolfeman

04-03-2006 13:05:25

All comedians are like that. They have an act and they do it for a long time. Dane Cook had a ton of jokes I had heard before when I saw him at the Improv. He was still really funny. David Cross, same thing...

MyungChunHa

04-03-2006 14:12:44

[quote3527715ed7="Wolfeman"]I love Mos Def and Talib Kweli. I'll check it out soon...[/quote3527715ed7]
Glad to see somebody with good taste, Blackstar is the shit....

Wolfeman

04-03-2006 14:14:23

Blackalicious!

MyungChunHa

04-03-2006 14:21:52

Joe Budden
/\/\/\
Get on that....He's the most underrated rapper I've ever seen....It's ridiculous not to give him respect if you've heard his mixtapes...

mrwzk

04-03-2006 14:24:59

chamillionare is my favorite and he is just becoming big ive listened to him for a while on my cpu

MyungChunHa

04-03-2006 14:27:15

People have their own opinions but.....CHAMILLIONARE ? ....I could name 20 rappers off of the top of my head better than him.....and when 50 cent comes to mind....thats not a good thing.....

Wolfeman

04-03-2006 14:35:02

I was into the Bay Area scene for a while (Hiero, Del, Casual) but I've kinda gotten old (

mr_black

04-03-2006 14:42:11

[quote18cfcb1956="Wolfeman"]I was into the Bay Area scene for a while (Hiero, Del, Casual) but I've kinda gotten old ([/quote18cfcb1956]

shock HIEROGLYPHICS!

good2speed

04-03-2006 15:00:34

[quote381d5416d6="AbSoLuT_xXxEr0"]Joe Budden
/\/\/\
Get on that....He's the most underrated rapper I've ever seen....It's ridiculous not to give him respect if you've heard his mixtapes...[/quote381d5416d6]

Buddens sucks and I'm from the NY metro area

Didn't his first album flop. He had that corny ass "pump it up" song. I remember seeing a VH1 special where he was talking about how much he sucked as a rapper. He's been around for a while but I never thought he was great. I heard DJ clue freestyles of him from 97/98. He's garbage.

The best rapper to appear off Clue mixtapes is Fabolous. Buddens isn't even a close second.

Buddens sucks ass

What has he been underground for 8 years? At some point in time he's got to make some money.

Th3Great1

04-03-2006 15:12:42

most rappers are horrible nowadays anyway...

good2speed

04-03-2006 15:22:20

[quote5a20e9ef13="Th3Great1"]most rappers are horrible nowadays anyway...[/quote5a20e9ef13]

I can listen to rap that has a message behind it or just has plain old good lyrics that flow to a nice beat.

I can't listen to rap that is way too jingly. All that dipset bs,laffy taffy,wtf. Talking about being gangster and there you are whistlin. What gangsters whistle.

I dont mind watching the girls shake their asses to party hiphop but I will not allow that shit to be heard unless I'm really drunk and sedated by chics shaking their ass.

MyungChunHa

04-03-2006 15:24:59

Good2Speed, you obvioulsy don't know shit if you think pump it up was supposed to be his best song or something, that's what his record label put out because that's what dumbass people want to hear in the clubs and what the media produces for 12 year olds to dance to, his record label screwed him over and released that corny ass album and never let the world listen to what he has to say

The man is real as it gets, and if you say anything different, you obviously haven't heard anything real by him, listen to his underground mixtapes first, and then talk....don't listen to crappy-ass Clue tapes man, listen to Dj On Point for Joe Budden....

Actually listen to Budden's 3 sides to a story, then talk shit....In fact, if you want I'll up an album that I know will change your mind....

good2speed

04-03-2006 15:33:18

[quoted324429a54="AbSoLuT_xXxEr0"]Good2Speed, you obvioulsy don't know shit if you think pump it up was supposed to be his best song or something, that's what his record label put out because that's what dumbass people want to hear in the clubs and what the media produces for 12 year olds to dance to, his record label screwed him over and released that corny ass album and never let the world listen to what he has to say

The man is real as it gets, and if you say anything different, you obviously haven't heard anything real by him, listen to his underground mixtapes first, and then talk....don't listen to crappy-ass Clue tapes man, listen to Dj On Point for Joe Budden....

Actually listen to Budden's 3 sides to a story, then talk shit....In fact, if yo u want I'll up an album that I know will change your mind....[/quoted324429a54]

what happened with Clue. I thought Clue put him out. Clue did a good job with Fab what happened with Buddens. Oh so it was the label's fault as to why he didn't sell records. Guess those labels hate high record sales, almost like kryptonite for them. He's been on Clue tapes, which were the shit in 97/98, since forever and no one liked him.

In 97/98 before the internet boom. NY hiphop was a Clue tape. There was no competetion. HE had [bd324429a54]super exlusives[/bd324429a54] from everyone in the industry. Nas, JayZ, Wu-tang, Lox, BIg, DMX, Fab, CNN, .......

As these tapes had such high profile why did Buddens still suck.

Granted Clue tapes now really suck and I no longer listening to any Clue garbage today but if Buddens was good he wouldve gotten his exposure. It obviously wasn't his labels fault when he was suckin on the peak moment of Clue's mixtapes.

MyungChunHa

04-03-2006 15:40:09

I'll agree with you on the 97/98 shit, he was pretty damn lame....I remember when I hated Budden's and my brother turned me on to his new stuff, which is better than almost anybody in the game....Back then he was still a up-and-comer and Clue did put him out originally...after he parted ways, he changed a whole f'ing lot....

I assumed that you had been listening to him ever since....but if you want I give you a couple of albums that I think you need to hear.....He's not with Clue anymore, he's with On Point so you probably want to give it a chance at least.....

On the last note....most of the time exposure is only as good as the people you know, Have you heard Mad Skillz from VA, Saigon from NY (I'm sure you have)....Come on, those two right there are better than half of the rappers in the picture right now and they got like 25% exposure to the world....Exposure does not equal talent, remember that one...

good2speed

04-03-2006 15:52:15

[quote2a9e962c95="AbSoLuT_xXxEr0"]I'll agree with you on the 97/98 shit, he was pretty damn lame....I remember when I hated Budden's and my brother turned me on to his new stuff, which is better than almost anybody in the game....Back then he was still a up-and-comer and Clue did put him out originally...after he parted ways, he changed a whole f'ing lot....

I assumed that you had been listening to him ever since....but if you want I give you a couple of albums that I think you need to hear.....He's not with Clue anymore, he's with On Point so you probably want to give it a chance at least.....

On the last note....most of the time exposure is only as good as the people you know, Have you heard Mad Skillz from VA, Saigon from NY (I'm sure you have)....Come on, those two right there are better than half of the rappers in the picture right now and they got like 25% exposure to the world....Exposure does not equal talent, remember that one...[/quote2a9e962c95]

both of those rappers lack consistency.

I'll hear a hot Saigon song and then the next will be some jarble.

For a rapper to make it from underground to profitable ( how much is up to you) he needs consistent hits. It might wear a rapper out to put his entire heart out onto an underground mixtape (or 2) to get street buzz and recognition. Once that buzz grows you must go out and try to persue a record deal while the same time renewing your lyrics and keeping them fresh. No one wants to pay for a record of old hits. Well maybe a best of but thats different. Oh and you should also make sure the record deal is not screwing you.

50 cent was at least succesful in completing these two tasks. taking the underground and keeping that buzz once he went mainstream. Although it seems as though he's now worn himself out.

One of Chappelle's problems is that he was able to do botth tasks without the money. Once the money came he didn't know how to act as the people around him change. My thinking is that he just wanted to be regular old Dave Chappelle from DC. He didn't want to be Dave Chappelle the 50 million dollar man.

MyungChunHa

04-03-2006 16:07:34

[quoteea22de6c6c="good2speed"]both of those rappers lack consistency.

I'll hear a hot Saigon song and then the next will be some jarble.

For a rapper to make it from underground to profitable ( how much is up to you) he needs consistent hits. It might wear a rapper out to put his entire heart out onto an underground mixtape (or 2) to get street buzz and recognition. Once that buzz grows you must go out and try to persue a record deal while the same time renewing your lyrics and keeping them fresh. No one wants to pay for a record of old hits. Well maybe a best of but thats different. Oh and you should also make sure the record deal is not screwing you.

50 cent was at least succesful in completing these two tasks. taking the underground and keeping that buzz once he went mainstream. Although it seems as though he's now worn himself out.

One of Chappelle's problems is that he was able to do botth tasks without the money. Once the money came he didn't know how to act as the people around him change. My thinking is that he just wanted to be regular old Dave Chappelle from DC. He didn't want to be Dave Chappelle the 50 million dollar man.[/quoteea22de6c6c]
Ok, lets put this into a consistancy issue now, your might be right about Saigon, but lets take an earlier example, Mos Def and Talib Kweli, they both have consistant hits and unbelievable lyrics, but as much hype as they have, they deserve way more then they are getting right now...

IMO, the best way for a rapper to grow into "profitable", is for them to make a whole bunch of club hits that people are going to be blasting for entertainment, which, don't ge tme wrong, there's nothing wrong with, but it doesn't judge talent the least bit....

In shorter terms, "Profitable" does not equal talent...it's that simple....consistancy might, but that doesn't go beyond a bad day or the ear of the beholder.....

Btw, I like that Dave reference, that IS true...

good2speed

04-03-2006 16:20:53

[quotee8bbc7f24f="AbSoLuT_xXxEr0"]
Ok, lets put this into a consistancy issue now, your might be right about Saigon, but lets take an earlier example, Mos Def and Talib Kweli, they both have consistant hits and unbelievable lyrics, but as much hype as they have, they deserve way more then they are getting right now...

IMO, the best way for a rapper to grow into "profitable", is for them to make a whole bunch of club hits that people are going to be blasting for entertainment, which, don't ge tme wrong, there's nothing wrong with, but it doesn't judge talent the least bit....

In shorter terms, "Profitable" does not equal talent...it's that simple....consistancy might, but that doesn't go beyond a bad day or the ear of the beholder.....

Btw, I like that Dave reference, that IS true...[/quotee8bbc7f24f]

Mos Def is involved in like 50 things at the moment and is getting well known. Rap is just one thing he does.

He's been in a lot of movies

Italian Job
Monster's Ball
16 Blocks

and more here

http//www.imdb.com/name/nm0080049/

While Talib hasn't gone double uranium yet he still gets love as a rapper.

Just to get By got pretty large.

Think Jayz was on the remix right?

I liked Beautiful struggle.

While I'm not saying record sales determine the credibility of a rapper.

The rapper should at least get a large portion of respect from his fans.

Notice even though Ja Rule got payed he still sucked.

Cats like Talib, Jadakiss, Cassidy.. there albums might not do well commercially for whatever reason but at least they get a lot of respect from the hiphop community.

MyungChunHa

04-03-2006 16:26:45

[quote79ca5a6e16="good2speed"]Notice even though Ja Rule got payed he still sucked.

Cats like Talib, Jadakiss, Cassidy.. there albums might not do well commercially for whatever reason but at least they get a lot of respect from the hiphop community.[/quote79ca5a6e16]
YEA, thats my entire point exactly.....Joe Budden't didn't get huge through his albums, but you damn well bet he's got his repect from plenty of people

As for Mos Def, of course he's involved in 50 other things....a whole lot of rappers are....but he's still not getting the respect he deserves from people that are listening to 50 cent over him, Chamillionare over HIM???are you nuts...I don't get why they get most of the attention while talented artists are only getting the respect from people who are really deep into hip-hop, if anything, it should be the other way around....

ibtheib

04-03-2006 16:29:28

WOW. people here have good tastes in music!! except that joe budden guy. joe sucks so bad honestly... im from the nyc area, i live in jersey city where joe budden grew up. but hes is NOT a good rapper. talib kweli is one of my FAVORITE rappers. i loved the beautiful struggle. i think hes the only rapper that still talks about relevant things anymore.