Can you put a Mac Mini hard drive into an iBook?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=33222

Dr. Doom

17-02-2006 08:03:11

As you can see, I'm at my wit's end; I've tried multiple times at the Apple Store, and even Best Buy, Circuit City and CompUSA, but I can't seem to return or exchange these two damn Mac Mini's I have.

Since I'm sort of lazy about putting them up on eBay, I'm wondering can I grab the 80gb HD out of one of my Mac Mini's and put it into my IRC iBook (which currently has a 40gb HD)?

I've search on Google, and though I've found a plethora of sites explaining how to disassemble a Mac Mini, I can't seem to find any info on the measurements of its HD, and whether or not it would fit inside an iBook.

I get the feeling everyone is just going to tell me to put them up on eBay and be done with the whole thing...

ghondi

17-02-2006 08:10:55

I am not sure about apple products, but usually laptop hard drives are thinner that normal hard drives.

I might suggest....although I'm not sure about Apple products as I said, but you can do it with PC. Find an external hard drive case,they come empty, and slap the hard drive in that.

Thats what I did because I filled up my 40GB on my laptop....I grabbed an empty case for $25 off newegg.com, and put in a 160GB HD in there.

Dr. Doom

17-02-2006 08:16:49

The Mac Mini hard drive IS a laptop hard drive.

Still, they do come in slightly different sizes and I don't want to open up the Mac Mini to find it won't fit in the iBook.

ghondi

17-02-2006 08:40:41

As I said, I am not familiar with Apple products.....but I would assume it should fit.....

I'll look around and see if I can find anything helpful.

ghondi

17-02-2006 08:52:18

I found something.

"The Mac mini's drive is similar to what you find in an iBook or PowerBook -- 4200rpm with sluggish average seek time and latency. This can make the Mac mini feel more sluggish than the clock speed would imply -- especially if you are running with less than 1GB of memory."

And a link[=http//caslis.com/mac/ibook/ibdrive.html]link for step by step instructions on how to change the hard drive in your iBook.

darkscout

17-02-2006 09:35:40

[quote1c6b462ef6="ghondi"]And a link[=http//caslis.com/mac/ibook/ibdrive.html]link for step by step instructions on how to change the hard drive in your iBook.[/quote1c6b462ef6]

I doubt that he has the older model iBooks.. that being said. That model was a bitch to work on.

mcal44

17-02-2006 10:03:05

i may be willing to buy one of those off you.

Tholek

17-02-2006 14:39:30

2.5" drives in both, right? That shouldn't be a problem.

FreeOffersNow

17-02-2006 16:12:51

In case you didn't know...the mac mini is ridiculously simple to disassemble. Just make sure you have a putty knife on hand, and be VERY careful as the mac mini is very easily "dinged up."

JUNIOR6886

17-02-2006 16:14:54

You're too lazy to put the shite macs on ebay but you're willing to go through the rouble of a drive transfer? ?

Dr. Doom

17-02-2006 20:59:05

I fix computers for a living, so it's no sweat off my back (even though I've never opened a Mac before, I'm sure it's the same).

eBay is just a huge fucking hassle putting up an attractive auction, picking the right time to put it up, answering emails, packing the item, lugging it off to the post office where you have to deal with long lines and cranky postal employees, bidders complaining about the item--I could go on and on like this.

Besides, 40gb on a laptop sucks. If I can put in an 80gb myself, and not have to pay for the upgrade, why not?