What's the deal with VoIP? Is it free calling?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=32969

lakersin2025

14-02-2006 07:59:58

I know you use your computer but I thought it was free. I see Verizon charges for it so I guess not. Anyone use it as their main phone?

FreeOffersNow

14-02-2006 08:15:42

I just set up Vonage at a buddy's house...seems to work fine and is a very feature-rich, easy to use service. Some problems are that A) Many people think you can still run it on your existing phone line structure - obviously you can't, and B) Because of A, you can really only have 1 phone connected to Vonage (unless you do some networking...which I've not done, but I assume it is possible). Another short-coming is to use Vonage for fax, you have to sign up for a dedicated fax line (as opposed to just tying up your primary number when you need to send/receive faxes). I think Vonage pretty much always has a free trial period...you might want to give it a shot.

ajasax

14-02-2006 09:20:51

Okay, just to clear things up for ya

VoIP is absolutely free, you use it over your DSL/Cable connection, so you only pay the ISP fees (it's kinda like Teamspeak or Skype if you've ever used those). [i737f3083b9]But[/i737f3083b9], since you can't connect to people on regular POTS (plain-old telephone service -- who don't have the internet), companies like Vonage decide to offer a service to connect you to anyone that has a phone line, thru your internet connection.

Not sure how this works, because I've never used Vonage or any similar services, but this is the jist of it. Let me know if anything needs further clearing up wink

chewy

14-02-2006 10:07:32

[quoteb744f21663="FreeOffersNow"]A) Many people think you can still run it on your existing phone line structure - obviously you can't, and B) Because of A, you can really only have 1 phone connected to Vonage (unless you do some networking...which I've not done, but I assume it is possible). [/quoteb744f21663]

not correct(unless i am misunderstanding what you are saying), i have multiple phones setup using one vonage router.

you have to disconnect the line coming into your house from your internal phone system. you then connect a standard phone wire into any jack in the house and it make the old phone wiring "live" again but this time with internet phone.

good2speed

14-02-2006 10:10:54

I used Linbo service for a few months and it works great. Like said previously Skype service is free but doesn't allow you to call people with a standard telephone line, only those who have skype installed on their pcs. Well it does but you have to pay for it.

With Lingo I paid $20 a month for unlimited calls. Considering a normal monthly phone bill is around $40 even if you dont make a single call, Id say its a hell of a deal. VOIP offers services for free that the phone companies charge us up the ass for. Like call waiting, call forwarding, .... It really is a great package and if your interested in saving a few dollars every month on a phone bill its welll worth it.

Cons

Only works when you have power. Cant use during power outages
Must have internet connection. Didnt pay your internet bill you cant talk
As popularity grows. Govt will want in on the revenue generated. Many voip service providers dodge the FCC charges that telephone companies pay and are thus able to provide cheap prices.

Pros
Much cheaper
Email notification if anyone leavces a message. Great if your at work and want to check periodically if someone is trying to reach you.
Many features
Soon VOIP will expand and there will be dual compatible phones that work over GSRm and WLAn.

With this option you can use your cell phone to make calls but once you transfer over to a WLAn it will automatically reconnect and you will no longer be using up your cell phone minutes.

good2speed

14-02-2006 10:12:52

[quotea9a462208b="chewy"][quotea9a462208b="FreeOffersNow"]A) Many people think you can still run it on your existing phone line structure - obviously you can't, and B) Because of A, you can really only have 1 phone connected to Vonage (unless you do some networking...which I've not done, but I assume it is possible). [/quotea9a462208b]

not correct(unless i am misunderstanding what you are saying), i have multiple phones setup using one vonage router.

you have to disconnect the line coming into your house from your internal phone system. you then connect a standard phone wire into any jack in the house and it make the old phone wiring "live" again but this time with internet phone.[/quotea9a462208b]

I was also under the impression that you could just use a splitter to divide the line into 2. Just one telephone wire coming out of VOIP adapter. I assumed you can connect that to a splitter and walla you have two lines

chewy

14-02-2006 10:16:29

[quotec9087a0d7e="good2speed"][quotec9087a0d7e="chewy"][quotec9087a0d7e="FreeOffersNow"]A) Many people think you can still run it on your existing phone line structure - obviously you can't, and B) Because of A, you can really only have 1 phone connected to Vonage (unless you do some networking...which I've not done, but I assume it is possible). [/quotec9087a0d7e]

you have to disconnect the line coming into your house from your internal phone system. you then connect a standard phone wire into any jack in the house and it make the old phone wiring "live" again but this time with internet phone.[/quotec9087a0d7e]

I was also under the impression that you could just use a splitter to divide the line into 2. Just one telephone wire coming out of VOIP adapter. I assumed you can connect that to a splitter and walla you have two lines[/quotec9087a0d7e]

no splitter needed. just plug a wire out of the router into any phone jack and you have basically your old POTS system back. but you are correct in saying you can use a splitter if you want

lakersin2025

14-02-2006 10:17:42

Cool. Great info guys! Thanks! I want to see if I can get rid of SBC. I have DSL and phone throught them but I can just get Cox cable and use that for internet and phone. I will be making all phone calls to regular phone lines so it looks like I'll need to pony up for the extra feature. Thanks again!

chewy

14-02-2006 10:20:27

check this out for LOTS of info

http//www.vonage-forum.com/