Protest over danish cartoons.....

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=32536

JUNIOR6886

08-02-2006 18:06:16

I cant believe the response the cartoons have been getting.
I was watching people buring shit and thrashing buildings on Fox and
since fox didnt show the cartoons ( x ) I had to do a little digging on google to find them. What cartoon could be offensive enough to incite riots in which 12 people have died? I thought the cartoons would be of the prophet mohammed with a dick for a face. (which would be hella funny albiet highly offensive to muslims) when i actually saw the cartoons
http//www.brusselsjournal.com/node/698 (scroll down) I was suprised that the vast majority of them werent even that bad roll
Those muslims sure are doing a great job showing they're a peaceful non opressive religion roll roll roll roll roll
http//images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2006/02/03/cartoonoutrage-i1246.jpg[" alt=""/img2bbe1c42af]

[img="2bbe1c42af]http//newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41300000/jpg/_41300342_gaza2ap416.jpg[" alt=""/img2bbe1c42af]

syriandoode

08-02-2006 18:11:33

Dude those are just the radicals and those cartoons would be offensive even if they didnt depict Mohamed as a terrorist (though that helps a bit).

KeithA

08-02-2006 18:15:52

From this week's Weekly Dig, an independent newspaper in Boston. I read this on the bus ride home tonight. It's what I would say about the cartoon/rioting if someone else hadn't already said it.

[quote181892a3bf]’ll kill you if you don’t stop offending my peace-loving God!
ROLLINS O'REILLY

This is a response to the “artist” who in last week’s Dig insulted my God by running a comic strip depicting Him clad in an explosive vest, carrying a gun, with a knife between his teeth. I cannot begin to express how deeply offensive this is to my people. My God stands for love, tolerance and peace. Depicting him as a terrorist is not merely a deliberate attack on my often-misunderstood faith, but is the worst kind of blasphemy to my people. When you do things like this, it causes the world to get the wrong idea about us, inflates bias and perpetuates the cycle of victimization in which we have suffered for so long.

In short, it simply doesn’t help. It doesn’t help reconcile our two cultures, and it doesn’t help achieve what should be our ultimate goal of a peaceful coexistence.

In other words, it should be punished by death. Or, if death is unavailable, grave harm and wanton property damage.

I call upon all believers in our great and beneficent God to find the cartoonist and boil the marrow in his bones, wear his innards like neckties and lop off his loins. If the cartoonist can’t be found, however, I urge believers to find another cartoonist, or perhaps the offices of a publication that runs cartoons, or even an Outback Steakhouse or toy store, and burn it to the ground. Only then, as we dance in the smoldering ashes surrounded by carcasses of those who probably enjoyed said cartoon, or at least knew someone who did, will the world realize that it was wrong to link our religion to a culture of random violence and savagery.

We live in a society presumably governed by the virtues of tolerance and mutual respect. When certain cartoonists, however, go out of their way to depict my God as a savage, it makes some of my people feel so bad about themselves that they stop being responsible for their actions. Is it any surprise, then, that they begin acting like savages? Only when you stop suggesting that they are savages will they stop burning down buildings, waving guns in people’s faces and calling for widespread violent death.

So please, just lay the fuck off L. Ron Hubbard.[/quote181892a3bf]

shamash

08-02-2006 18:15:52

The thing is, killing people and rioting because you got offended by a CARTOON is not okay.

If it was, Bush would have killed a good chunk of the world by now. Well I mean, he has killed a good chunk, but he would have killed a bigger one.

Daggoth

08-02-2006 18:17:17

Theres radicals in every religion, not just Islam.

justinag06

08-02-2006 19:15:37

yeah but when radicals logic stops making sense on any level thats when people turn from radicals to fanatics, and thats when panic sets in, then there is no reconciling

cartrenroy

08-02-2006 19:27:57

[quoteaa23bdaa97="shamash"]The thing is, killing people and rioting because you got offended by a CARTOON is not okay.

If it was, Bush would have killed a good chunk of the world by now. Well I mean, he has killed a good chunk, but he would have killed a bigger one.[/quoteaa23bdaa97]

Here is the problem.
They are not doing all this becuase they just got offended by the cartoons (is not like - they just got offended and thats it) - It means everything to them, you know, [baa23bdaa97]EVERYTHING [/baa23bdaa97] (Like offending your mother, or something like that)

MightyMouse

08-02-2006 19:46:00

[quoteec4ed616c8] My God stands for love, tolerance and peace.
-snip-
Find the cartoonist who did this so we can boil his marrow and wear his innards as necklaces[/quoteec4ed616c8]

Does anyone else see the irony here?

J4320

08-02-2006 19:46:16

http//www.fwhl-toronto.com/wespersonal/sigs/allah.gif[" alt=""/img5293b590c4]

justinag06

08-02-2006 19:48:47

[quoteb9cd9962c1="MightyMouse"][quoteb9cd9962c1] My God stands for love, tolerance and peace.
-snip-
Find the cartoonist who did this so we can boil his marrow and wear his innards as necklaces[/quoteb9cd9962c1]

Does anyone else see the irony here?[/quoteb9cd9962c1]

yes in fact I think you missed the overall irony of the whole story

Daggoth

08-02-2006 19:49:44

[quoteea5b19eb73="justinag06"]yeah but when radicals logic stops making sense on any level thats when people turn from radicals to fanatics, and thats when panic sets in, then there is no reconciling[/quoteea5b19eb73]

uhh I think you misintrepeted me.

There are "crazy people" in all religions, not just Islam.

Meaning, there are crazy Catholics, Jews, and Mormons who have committed such crimes before.

MightyMouse

08-02-2006 19:53:23

[quote33929fbd16="justinag06"][quote33929fbd16="MightyMouse"][quote33929fbd16] My God stands for love, tolerance and peace.
-snip-
Find the cartoonist who did this so we can boil his marrow and wear his innards as necklaces[/quote33929fbd16]

Does anyone else see the irony here?[/quote33929fbd16]

yes in fact I think you missed the overall irony of the whole story[/quote33929fbd16]

That's what I get for skimming through the article. smacks head
Thanks for pointing it out to me.

I guess this makes me an infidel ;)

justinag06

08-02-2006 19:59:10

[quotef276cb1dfb="Daggoth"]

uhh I think you misintrepeted me.

There are "crazy people" in all religions, not just Islam.

Meaning, there are crazy Catholics, Jews, and Mormons who have committed such crimes before.[/quotef276cb1dfb]

nah I was just trying to add to your comment not contest it

Armstrong

08-02-2006 20:25:36

Bomb-em All...

Gooogler

08-02-2006 20:42:35

The one with the bomb-head could be pretty offensive.... I think it's funny.

tracemhunter

08-02-2006 20:55:18

muslim radicals are to terrorists as crazy christians are to blowing up abortion clinics.

the reason it is such a big deal is because muhammad is not to be portraid(sp?) in a picture in any way.

syriandoode

08-02-2006 21:05:57

yeah thats right. its meant to be that way so we dont idolize him

hehehhehe

08-02-2006 21:32:36

[quote874bb04dde="tracemhunter"]muslim radicals are to terrorists as crazy christians are to blowing up abortion clinics.

the reason it is such a big deal is because muhammad is not to be portraid(sp?) in a picture in any way.[/quote874bb04dde]
Makes sense.

h3x

08-02-2006 21:42:31

[quotea979e37ebf="J4320"]http//www.fwhl-toronto.com/wespersonal/sigs/allah.gif[" alt=""/imga979e37ebf][/quotea979e37ebf]

lol

Wolfeman

09-02-2006 00:02:40

I'm kinda torn on the issue because its hard to say someone is dumb for being pissed about something involving their religion but the rioting is just going overboard. Kayne West portrayed Jesus on the cover Rolling Stone and I think that's kinda disrespectful but I'm not going to burn his house down...
http/" alt=""/img141.imageshack.us/img="141/2927/641ea258d4c5e8073dy.jpg[" alt=""/img38b0584dd4]

Tholek

09-02-2006 00:51:12

If you do some digging, you'll see that the riots aren't spontaneous. They're organized and supported by radical groups and elements of goverments in part to take attention off other things going on in the middle east at the moment.

The cartoons were published back in September, without much protest. They were even reprinted in an egyptian islamic newspaper without their offices burned, or embassy broken into.

Funny, that...

justinag06

09-02-2006 00:51:14

first off excuse any mispellings as I am too tired to check anything in this quick reply

I didnt know it was such a big deal to the muslims to show drawings of muhammad. I had no idea of that at all. However knowing how important their religion is to them, I would think major news publications would understand and respect this.

However the riots seem like the complete opposite of how they should be handling this, I dunno they obviously take major offense to this and deserve an appology, but when reactions are like this. The point of the comic is just driven across moreso.

upsetting

KeithA

09-02-2006 05:36:53

[quotec43e0a08b9="MightyMouse"][quotec43e0a08b9] My God stands for love, tolerance and peace.
-snip-
Find the cartoonist who did this so we can boil his marrow and wear his innards as necklaces[/quotec43e0a08b9]

Does anyone else see the irony here?[/quotec43e0a08b9]

That's why I posted it. It's satire.

tracemhunter

09-02-2006 06:25:12

about the kanye west picture, rolling stone decided to put it on the cover. the day he did the photo shoot he also dressed up like other world leaders, civil rights people, blah blah etc etc.

crazyates

09-02-2006 09:01:05

[quote4d8a8149cb="tracemhunter"]about the kanye west picture, rolling stone decided to put it on the cover. the day he did the photo shoot he also dressed up like other world leaders, civil rights people, blah blah etc etc.[/quote4d8a8149cb]

they may of took his picture of other people, but the one of kanye as Jesus is the one they choose to print. to me that's offensive, and it degrades the entire superiority of Jesus.

So you're saying that we can be tolerant to other religions when they protest cuz they're doing it in response to something setting them off, but if a christian gets upset when a famous person is portaid as Jesus on a popular magazine, we have nothing to complain about?

and some people say kanye is a christian so it dosn't matter. well i don't know if he's a christian or not, but some of his songs certainly don't portray that image (song #11 on his newest album, "addiction"). on the other hand, "Jesus walks" (and the remixes) give off that image, but i don't know. either way i don't think he sould of allowed them to take his picture like that cuz yes, it is offensive.

and i'm sure that those other pictures about mohammed are offensive too, but to muslims, not me. theres a difference between ingnorant and being a dick, and depending which one the guy who drew those cartoons was has a big input on whether or not they should of gotten mad in the first place