Finding Laws..

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=30691

EatChex89

17-01-2006 15:02:35

Okay, for my political science class, we're supposed to come up with 6 laws that we think are either just/unjust and why.

My trouble is, I can't come up with any laws.

The laws we aren't allowed to use

-Noise level in house
-Curfew
-Seatbelt law
-Drinking age

I've googled like crazy and can't find any laws. They need to be preferrably California laws.. although generic laws will also work.

tylerc

17-01-2006 15:11:29

Poly sci?

You're 16, does your high school offer that?

doylnea

17-01-2006 15:18:15

how about

medical marijuana
Roe v Wade
Grokster
Gonzales V Oregon (US SC issued today)

[i1b057729e1]edit because I humiliated myself by misspelling Roe. I suck[/i1b057729e1]

EatChex89

17-01-2006 15:21:28

[quote3d9d409274="doylnea"]how about

medical marijuana
Rowe v Wade
Grokster
Gonzales V Oregon (US SC issued today)[/quote3d9d409274]

Those are great! Thanks doylnea!

I'll be sure to research those. Anyone have any others?

mnx12

17-01-2006 15:32:28

weed?

slease

17-01-2006 16:05:21

is this really that hard?

Gay Marriage
Creationism in public schools
Prayer in public schools
Immigration laws
Anti Discrimination laws

It's the US... there is certainly no shortage on laws.

Daggoth

17-01-2006 16:18:17

United States vs. Korematesu

Right now the US is allowed to put any group of people in internment camps based on their religion.

EatChex89

17-01-2006 16:47:33

Okay, I finished. Thanks all for your input.

Here's what I used

-Grokster (copyright issue)
-Creationism in Public Schools
-Marijuana Illegal
-Illegal to carry weapons in public
-Anti-Discrimination
-Drunk Driving Illegal

Jake

18-01-2006 08:38:30

How about the PATRIOT Act?

That is one of the most unjust laws on the books in this country.

mrwzk

18-01-2006 08:46:17

u missed all the good ones

Alabama

li It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.
li Dominoes may not be played on Sunday.
li It is illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church.

California

li Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses.
li Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.
li Bathhouses are against the law. [Get the full text of this law.]
li It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.
li Women may not drive in a house coat.

Florida

li Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon owner.
li A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.
li If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.
li It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.
li Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.
li Having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.
li It is illegal to skateboard without a license.
li When having sex, only the missionary position is legal.

Kansas

li Prohibits shooting rabbits from a motorboat.

Louisiana

li It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water pistol.

Indiana

li It is illegal for a liquor store to sell cold soft drinks.
li Liquor stores may not sell milk.

Michigan

li You may not swear in front of women and children in the state of Michigan.

Nebraska

li It is illegal for bar owners to sell beer unless they are simultaneously brewing a kettle of soup.

New York

li A fine of $25 can be levied for flirting. This old law specifically prohibits men from turning around on any city street and looking "at a woman in that way." A second conviction for a crime of this magnitude calls for the violating male to be forced to wear a "pair of horse-blinders" wherever and whenever he goes outside for a stroll.
li It is against the law to throw a ball at someone's head for fun.
li A license must be purchased before hanging clothes on a clothesline.
li The penalty for jumping off a building is death.

North Dakota

li Beer and pretzels can't be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant.
li It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep with your shoes on.

Ohio

li It is illegal to fish for whales on Sunday.
li It is illegal to get a fish drunk.

Pennsylvania

li A person is not eligible to become Governor if he/she has participated in a duel.

Texas

li It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.
li It is illegal to drive without windshield wipers. You don't need a windshield, but you must have the wipers.
li It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.
li It is illegal to milk another person's cow.
li A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.
li The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.

Wisconsin

li You must manually flush all urinals in a building.
li Butter substitutes are not allowed to be served in state prisons.
Australia

li Children may not purchase cigarettes, but can smoke them.
li You may never leave your car keys in an unattended vehicle.
li It is illegal to roam the streets wearing black clothes, felt shoes and black shoe polish on your face as these items are the tools of a cat burglar.
li It is illegal to read someone's tarot, or give them a psychic reading as these are forms of witchcraft.
li Under Australian Communications Authority (ACA) regulations, your modem can't pick up on the first ring. If it does the ACA permit for your modem is invalid and there's a $12000 fine. - Telecommunications Act 1991.

England

li Those wishing to use a television must apply for a license.
li It is illegal to leave baggage unattended.
li Picking up abandoned baggage is as act of terrorism.

France

li Between the hours of 8AM and 8PM, 70% of the music in the radio must be by French composers.

Thailand

li It is illegal to leave your house if you are not wearing underwear.
li You must wear a shirt while driving a car.
li You must pay a fine of $600 in Thailand if you're caught throwing away chewed bubblegum on the sidewalk. If you do not pay the fine, you are jailed.
li No one may step on any of the nation's currency.

this is what a freind sent me the other day not sure how many are actually true a lot are just ridiculous

EatChex89

18-01-2006 10:13:31

dang it. my class was today (this morning), so i unfortunately missed it, otherwise I would have armed myself with a couple of those stupid laws.

mnx12

18-01-2006 10:59:18

you put drunk driving? are you fucking crazy? if it was up to me i would ban alchohol completely and make weed legal, the world would be much much better...

Kidd

18-01-2006 11:00:36

no alcohol thats horrible!

tylerc

18-01-2006 12:00:41

[quote049a679762="mnx12"]you put drunk driving? are you fucking crazy? if it was up to me i would ban alchohol completely and make weed legal, the world would be much much better...[/quote049a679762]

You've never had alcohol, have you? If so, don't knock it.

Also, remember prohibition? Yeah, that worked real well.

mrwzk

18-01-2006 12:26:43

all banning alcohol and making weed legal would do is lower the price of weed and increase the price of alcohol. reverse of what happens now.

tracemhunter

18-01-2006 12:31:09

you are right mrwzk, but i would want to ban alcohol and make weed legal. weed is a much safer alternative.

MyungChunHa

18-01-2006 12:33:14

i do have to agree with mnx though in that it probably would make the world a hell of a lot better.....it would definitely make the world a lot more calm lol .....but i wouldnt ban alcohol because i do like my occasional drink every now and then....if anything they should ban cigarettes....too bad thats almost impossible now....

[quoteb5a1ac5fb7="tracemhunter"]weed is a much safer alternative.[/quoteb5a1ac5fb7]
what ive been trying to tell people for years ) .....

justinag06

18-01-2006 12:43:48

[quotea6f54ac4ef="tracemhunter"]you are right mrwzk, but i would want to ban alcohol and make weed legal. weed is a much safer alternative.[/quotea6f54ac4ef]

yeah and make it 1000 times harder to get laid or have fun

leave alcohol alone

mnx12

18-01-2006 12:49:12

[quote8ce4d24eec="tylerc"][quote8ce4d24eec="mnx12"]you put drunk driving? are you fucking crazy? if it was up to me i would ban alchohol completely and make weed legal, the world would be much much better...[/quote8ce4d24eec]

You've never had alcohol, have you? If so, don't knock it.

Also, remember prohibition? Yeah, that worked real well.[/quote8ce4d24eec]I havent done alchohol or weed, but making the switch from alchohol to weed would make everyone happy, and I know that from first hand experience with being around friends doing both, that I would much rather be stoned than drunk...