The New Ma Bell: Exchange Scanning and a few acronyms...

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=30310

h3x

12-01-2006 10:41:50

Well, its apparent that my last attempt to share my knowledge of the telephone system has failed.. Heres my second attempt..

[be2e5149045][ie2e5149045][ue2e5149045]Exchange Scanning[/ue2e5149045][/ie2e5149045][/be2e5149045]

Well, this is the bottom rung on the ladder to phreaking... Here goes nothing..

All telephone numbers in the country are organised in this fashion

[ex. (XXX) XXX-XXXX]

I hope you knew that part already, or you are truly lost.

In the Bell System, they view it like this

(NPA) NXX-CLLI

NPA is the Numbering Plan Area code (the area code... namely an identifier for a major region in a state/province)

NXX is the prefix exchange (this narrows down the location of the phone number to the nearest region.. Example.. (212) [New York] 420 [New York] points to a telephone trunk on 2nd Ave, where as (212) [New York] 769 [New York] points to a telephone trunk on West 73rd ST..

CLLI is the Common Language Location Identifier (or the last 4 digits of the telephone number.. This is what you are assigned when you get a new phone number..)

This organization of phone numbers is referred to as the NANP (North American Numbering Plan)..

Hopefully, you learned a bit about how phone numbers work.. Now, the next step would be to start some exchange scanning..

The Bell System (RBOCs) place test numbers, loops, proctor test sets, ringbacks, etc. usually on the 0000-0099/9900-9999 CLLI.

Try exchange scanning your own NXX and see (hear) what you may find!

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or post here. I'll be more than happy to help.

EatChex89

12-01-2006 10:52:15

if i scan my own NXX.. will anyone pick up the phone?

h3x

12-01-2006 10:59:19

What you are trying to scan is either 0000-0099 or 9900-9999

Someone may or may not pick up the phone, but RBOCs (Regional Bell Operating Companies) usually assign their 'special' numbers to these CLLIs..

EatChex89

12-01-2006 11:03:23

[quote581281c714="h3x"]What you are trying to scan is either 0000-0099 or 9900-9999

Someone may or may not pick up the phone, but RBOCs (Regional Bell Operating Companies) usually assign their 'special' numbers to these CLLIs..[/quote581281c714]

what do I say if someone picks up? lol. "Phreaking" (if that's what it is.. you said it was on the lowest rung of the ladder..) seems a little freaky. no pun intended. P

h3x

12-01-2006 11:04:48

"I'm sorry, I dialed the wrong number" or just hang up.. I try to have a little courtesy and tell them I dialed the wrong number and move on to the next number.

ENGRDawg

12-01-2006 11:42:19

alright, so what the hell does this accomplish?

h3x

12-01-2006 12:39:28

Phreaking (in general) is a matter of curiousity and the desire for understanding of the telephone system.. A need to learn how the telephone system works. We take so many things in life for granted, the telephone is one of the millions of things everyone takes for granted.. We just expect to pick up the phone, push some buttons and talk to our friends.. We just expect that cell phones are magical. But it doesn't work like that. The need to understand how one of life's necessities works can give the person a different view; a different perspective on life itself.

I, for one don't perceive the advance of technology; as magic.

The way a computer works is not magic.. There so much more to the computer, the telephone, the microwave, the refridgerator, the TV, the list can go on and on.. But to understand how it works exactly, can give a person something to appreciate and not take for granted.

A (true) hacker is no different. He/She wants to learn how a computer network works and what its exploits are. They want to learn. They thrive to learn.

The mainstream media perceives hackers as criminals that steal credit card information and take down websites.. Hollywood has taken advantage of this and still continues to further demean the true values of a hacker. To sum it up, a hacker is one that wants to learn about computer networks and security.. Not to destroy it.

Back to your question, 'what the hell does this accomplish?'.. What does it not accomplish? When a person wants to learn about the telephone system.. He/She has already accomplished something. The need to understand one of life's necessities.

aguy

12-01-2006 12:47:38

i believe in magic so fuck ur understandings

h3x

12-01-2006 12:48:45

lol

Airkat

12-01-2006 13:58:17

lol magic it is!

avarda kadavra!!!

ENGRDawg

12-01-2006 17:13:07

[quoteb823347b53="h3x"]Phreaking (in general) is a matter of curiousity and the desire for understanding of the telephone system.. A need to learn how the telephone system works. We take so many things in life for granted, the telephone is one of the millions of things everyone takes for granted.. We just expect to pick up the phone, push some buttons and talk to our friends.. We just expect that cell phones are magical. But it doesn't work like that. The need to understand how one of life's necessities works can give the person a different view; a different perspective on life itself.

I, for one don't perceive the advance of technology; as magic.

The way a computer works is not magic.. There so much more to the computer, the telephone, the microwave, the refridgerator, the TV, the list can go on and on.. But to understand how it works exactly, can give a person something to appreciate and not take for granted.

A (true) hacker is no different. He/She wants to learn how a computer network works and what its exploits are. They want to learn. They thrive to learn.

The mainstream media perceives hackers as criminals that steal credit card information and take down websites.. Hollywood has taken advantage of this and still continues to further demean the true values of a hacker. To sum it up, a hacker is one that wants to learn about computer networks and security.. Not to destroy it.

Back to your question, 'what the hell does this accomplish?'.. What does it not accomplish? When a person wants to learn about the telephone system.. He/She has already accomplished something. The need to understand one of life's necessities.[/quoteb823347b53]

Wow, so many words to say so little. Anyway, to restate my question what can you possibly learn from doing this? You call different exchanges with your same last 4 digits and tell a bunch of people you have the wrong number? Anyone?

slease

12-01-2006 17:19:18

Seems useless to me as well, unless one of these numbers gets you free phone service or has some cool feature.

h3x

12-01-2006 17:19:30

Who ever said to call different exchanges with the same last 4 digits?

As I said before, exchange scanning is the very bottom rung of the ladder when it comes to phreaking (the beginning of a phreak's life usually starts with the curiousity of dialing random numbers, another phreak teaching a trick to a newbie, a conversation with your telco guy when he comes out to check your TNI box.. When it comes to exchange scanning, you don't know what you'll find.. you might find something useful..

Such as an Expanded Announcement System

http//www.oldskoolphreak.com/audio/expanded_announcement.mp3[]http//www.oldskoolphreak.com/audio/expanded_announcement.mp3

or you'll find nothing, such as a busy signal, a reorder, some old guy answering the phone..

h3x

12-01-2006 17:23:28

[quote1a8b651a75="slease"]Seems useless to me as well, unless one of these numbers gets you free phone service or has some cool feature.[/quote1a8b651a75]

Listen to the MP3 file. Its self-explainitory.

You want free phone calls? PM me and I'll hook you up with 'a little something-something' )

turpentinedreams

12-01-2006 17:39:56

is their cell phone preaking? i'd assume so.
are you at all familiar with setting up a wap server or something?

h3x

12-01-2006 17:44:58

There is some cell phone phreaking.. I've never really dived deep into cell phones.. But from what I know, some of it consists of firmware hacking and other things. I'm sure I could look into it and point you in the right direction.. Give me a PM.

Tholek

12-01-2006 17:47:18

[quote0e96c4291d="turpentinedreams"]is their cell phone preaking? i'd assume so.
are you at all familiar with setting up a wap server or something?[/quote0e96c4291d]

Cellphone phreaking is really the only type that approaches hacking in popularity. Google it to learn more about it. (Try cellphonehacks.com too)

As for this landline stuff, it's really trainspotterish. Just a lot of knowledge with little practical use.

h3x

12-01-2006 17:52:21

Perhaps.. But I'll enjoy my free phone calls and complete anonymity, thank you )

It doesn't stop at landlines.. Did you even take VoIP into consideration? wink

Tholek

12-01-2006 18:03:16

[quote55dc10df19="h3x"]Perhaps.. But I'll enjoy my free phone calls and complete anonymity, thank you )[/quote55dc10df19]

Now THAT should've been the topic of the thread! Show us all how make free calls, and forget the rest. ;)

[quote55dc10df19="h3x"]It doesn't stop at landlines.. Did you even take VoIP into consideration? wink[/quote55dc10df19]

No, because it's not in every home yet.

h3x

12-01-2006 18:08:19

It doesn't matter if its in every home... Not for what you can do with it. )

[quote856625e808]Now THAT should've been the topic of the thread! Show us all how make free calls, and forget the rest.[/quote856625e808]

Now thats one cat I'm not ready to let out the bag ;)

But I'll be more than happy to give you 24 hours worth of calling cards (48 hours if you trick the calling card system).. PM me )

agroman

13-01-2006 08:07:03

this will begin to mean nothing as more and more people use LNP and move the #'s with them or to their cell phones.