Dvd to ipod

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=30061

brendenipod

08-01-2006 17:43:02

Does anyone know any good free software to rip dvd's onto ipod?

johnjimjones

08-01-2006 17:46:44

I don't know, but if you use the search feature at top, you'll find many threads showing you how.

crazyates

08-01-2006 17:48:30

i wonder how long till admin shows up and locks this thread.....
with a friendly reminder to use the search feature, of course

johnjimjones

08-01-2006 17:54:01

here's one that I just found
http//www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/guides.html

but yes, search feature is helpful

Berky34

08-01-2006 19:45:52

[quote8c7f901ebb="johnjimjones"]here's one that I just found
http//www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/guides.html

but yes, search feature is helpful[/quote8c7f901ebb]
i use it- works pretty well for dvd's read the instructions step by step and dont ski[ anything, it took me a while to get it going then i realized i didnt have audio and had to start over... fun

Fugger

08-01-2006 20:45:16

Videora is nice. They also make a TiVo converter that will format just about any video file for upload to a TiVo. Good stuff.

tylerc

08-01-2006 20:50:08

Wait, how do you upload to a TiVo?

crazyates

09-01-2006 10:28:48

u can upload it to your tivo...but can u do the opposite? upload shows from your tivo to your ipod? i know thry've been talking about such things for a while now, but so far what i've head involves extra fees with tivo. can videora do that?

Fugger

09-01-2006 11:54:28

When TiVo comes out with TiVo Desktop ver 2.3 you will be able to and the TiVo software will do the conversion for you. Lets see... Steps from TiVo to iPod.

1.) Download program using TiVo Desktop
2.) Remove TiVo encryption using EtiVo (http//prish.com/etivo/)
3.) Convert for iPod format using any utility (Videora one is nice and simple)
4.) Upload to iPod and enjoy the most efficient way to drain an iPod battery

Fugger

09-01-2006 11:58:27

[quote5372229b97="tylerc"]Wait, how do you upload to a TiVo?[/quote5372229b97]

Uploading to the tivo is essentially the opposite.

1.) Get your content (torrent, home made, etc)
2.) Use the videora converter
3.) Put it in your "My Tivo Recordings" directory
4.) Fire up "TiVo Desktop"

after that you should be able to find your computer as a browsable object at the bottom of your 'Now Playing' list and select what you want to download.

crazyates

09-01-2006 12:33:50

i have a dvr instead of a tivo system... is it the same thing? does it work the same way? can i still upload the video to my computer so that i can reformat them? thanks for the help.

I'm not planning on using the video that much (for the reason u said earlier...battery) but if i could put new 24 episodes on my ipod as they come without paying $2 per episode, that'd be much better lol

Fugger

09-01-2006 13:10:44

[quote3b5db5a220="crazyates"]i have a dvr instead of a tivo system... is it the same thing? does it work the same way? can i still upload the video to my computer so that i can reformat them? thanks for the help.

I'm not planning on using the video that much (for the reason u said earlier...battery) but if i could put new 24 episodes on my iPod as they come without paying $2 per episode, that'd be much better lol[/quote3b5db5a220]

Some DVR's allow you to go firewire direcly into a PC and import that way, while a 11 transfer rate, it is still sometimes possible. If you wanted to be realllly ugly about it, you could hook up your DVR to a video capture card and capture that way. Also 11. However, I don't really go from TiVo to any other device as all the shows I watch are freely avaliable for download.

Sussex_Chris

09-01-2006 13:37:59

Cheers Fuger, I've been trying to work out hwo to do that for a while now )

crazyates

09-01-2006 19:10:20

i've been downloading shows too (limewire...free...much better) but i was wondering if since i'm already recording new episodes (of 24...starts this week!) to the dvr anyways if i could transfer them that way. I also have a dvd-r that i use to record shows and movies directly to dvd...but again that's at a 11 transfer rate same as what you were talking about.

worst case senario i record my shows to dvd...rip the dvd to my computer and then convert/transfer and all that to put it on my ipod. then i delete from my computer's hard drive the episodes and/or movies i just put on my ipod. That wau they arn't taking up any space on my hard drive (or my dv-r)...but i still have the origionals on dvd. If for some reason my ipod has a problem and everything get's deleted...i still have the orional dvds to rip and put back on. that may be a time consuming process, but it's better than taking up a TON of hard drive space on my very humble (i.e. limited) computer.

do you think this will work?

p.s. +karma to fugger for all your help! wink