Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=28978

theysayjump

23-12-2005 00:45:03

Gee, who woulda thunk it? roll

http//news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4554404.stm

tonydanza92

23-12-2005 01:09:41

o no im sure they're going out of business now

or the walton's can just stop whiping their asses with $100's and using gold bricks as paperweights

JUNIOR6886

23-12-2005 04:48:44

Walmart makes 10 billion a year so i doubt this hurts them one bit. ?
I decided a long time ago when i first heard of how walmart treats their workers never to shop there again. The only thing Ive ever done there is trade in my free GBA SP for a 1gb flash drive )

crazyates

23-12-2005 06:53:23

there'll be a bunch of execs whining to each other about the $172mil or whatever, but it won't hurt thier company that much. as much as i shop there, i'm dissapointed that they would do something like this. it had to be intentional cuz i'm sure someone along the way would have noticed a law about breakes. bummer. for such a big company, they should get thier act together.

edit my uncle works in walmart and so far he's never had any complaints on how they treat thier workers...but i think something this big is just TOO big to be overlooked

Gigante

23-12-2005 08:32:53

I think it was in California. Either way, they choose to work there. If they don't like it, then don't work there.

Peinecone

23-12-2005 08:38:15

[quotea8c3458673="Gigante"]Either way, they choose to work there. If they don't like it, then don't work there.[/quotea8c3458673]

That is the stupidest thing I have ever read. Are you for sweat shops too just because the kids work there?

This is actually not a bad as other things I have read about Walmart. They have actually closed stores before, just to break up unions.

EatChex89

23-12-2005 10:20:48

i hate wal-mart.. i woulda known.

Wolfeman

23-12-2005 12:54:38

Walmart is ruining this country. They come into small towns and destroy the stores that have been there for years. They promise more jobs but they end up bankrupting a town with there low low prices. FUCK WALMART. If you go to Walmart you hate America. Check out this documentary if you use bittorrent. Its seriously important to watch...

Walmart-The.High.Cost.of.Low.Price[=http//ts.searching.com/download.asp?id=468884]Walmart-The.High.Cost.of.Low.Price

tylerc

23-12-2005 12:56:50

Ok, I will check that out.

People that shop at Wal-Mart are creepy.

Wolfeman

23-12-2005 13:04:40

Seriously everyone should see this docu. Its not told by some rich white people trying to pretend like they care, its told by the lower-middle class people that are losing everything because Walmart rolls into town. And how Walmart spends millions every year to kill any union talks and if you try to start a union they spy on you and start a campaign against you. How they force you to stay part-time even though you work full-time so you don't get overtime or full-time benefits. And how they claim their healthcare is so great but no one can afford it. They are evil, pure and simple. The Waltons are the richest family in the country while they rape the people that make them rich...

theysayjump

23-12-2005 13:29:36

Wow, I thought Junior and I were the only people on here who hated Wal-Mart.

I've never shopped there and never will. My wifes family think that it's sad that I feel this way and that it's pathetic. The sad thing is that people who refuse to support companies like this, for very good reasons, are seen as being sad or pathetic because they would go out of their way to not shop there, or get something from there just because it's cheaper, but the people who support this company and others are seen as "patriotic" or that they support America and everything that is good about it.

I really don't understand how when faced with all these stories about companies like this, that people still insist on supporting them.

I don't use torrents but I'll check for that documentary on Usenet.

Veek

23-12-2005 13:31:13

Theres a Wal-Mart a couple of blocks away from my place. Never been in it and I'd like to keep it that way.

mrwzk

23-12-2005 13:35:53

[quotef3ff7bb7e2="Gigante"]I think it was in California. Either way, they choose to work there. If they don't like it, then don't work there.[/quotef3ff7bb7e2]

thats exactly what i say, noone is forcing them to work there. they can get other jobs if they dont think they are getting paid enough.

Wolfeman

23-12-2005 13:39:11

[quotee386de504e="mrwzk"][quotee386de504e="Gigante"]I think it was in California. Either way, they choose to work there. If they don't like it, then don't work there.[/quotee386de504e]

thats exactly what i say, noone is forcing them to work there. they can get other jobs if they dont think they are getting paid enough.[/quotee386de504e]

Watch the documentary. When you live in a town of 5000 and Walmart comes in, everything else ends up having to close because they undercut everyone's pricing. There are no other jobs so people have to work there and since Walmart fights against unions like crazy, the workers can't get better wages/benefits...

tylerc

23-12-2005 13:39:38

Then move.

slease

23-12-2005 13:43:07

[quote44d607f792="tylerc"]Then move.[/quote44d607f792] roll

Wolfeman

23-12-2005 13:43:08

[quoteba348c1a43="tylerc"]Then move.[/quoteba348c1a43]

Also, just make more money. Sounds pretty easy. Walmarts are everywhere and some people can't just pick up and move. If I lived somewhere my whole life and had a shop that was in my family for generations, I wouldn't just say fuck it, and leave cause Walmart comes in and buttfucks the town. Watch the movie and then talk...

tylerc

23-12-2005 13:44:43

I'll download it tonight; are there a lot of seeders?

theysayjump

23-12-2005 13:44:55

I can't find it on Usenet. cry

Wolfeman

23-12-2005 13:45:36

[quote637ce801cb="tylerc"]I'll download it tonight; are there a lot of seeders?[/quote637ce801cb]

Like 154 I think.

Wolfeman

23-12-2005 13:48:23

[quotede54d755a2="theysayjump"]I can't find it on Usenet. cry[/quotede54d755a2]

Do you use NZBs? PM me if you do...

theysayjump

23-12-2005 13:52:20

PM'ed.

sennh

23-12-2005 17:14:18

I hate going into Wal-Mart simply because I hate dealing with hordes of white trash and rednecks (especially in my home state of Tennessee), but that's just me.

exclusiv

23-12-2005 17:25:04

There are many reasons to dislike Walmart, but this isn't one of them.

they are paying $172 million for not giving their employees an UNPAID 30 minute break?

everyone who has worked for anyone knows that law. if you let your walmart manager hose you out of that, you deserve NOTHING.

[ba326fc225f]chances are, most people probably didn't want the break because if you don't take it, you don't go off the clock and you get an extra 30 minutes of clocked paid time[/ba326fc225f]

I used to not take breaks because you make MORE money if you don't. Most of the time it is the managers that get in trouble for not having their subordinates take breaks.

This $172 million dollars is likely a result of lawyers capitalizing on the fact that walmart employees VOLUNTARILY refused to take breaks.

Wolfeman

23-12-2005 17:28:36

Its not easy to tell your boss to fuck off, I'm taking a lunch break when you need that job to support your family and keep food on your plates. Its easy to sit on your high horse and say the people are dumb but obviously, $172M judgment means Walmart was wrong...

exclusiv

23-12-2005 17:33:34

[quote8920274bdb="Wolfeman"]Its not easy to tell your boss to fuck off, I'm taking a lunch break when you need that job to support your family and keep food on your plates. Its easy to sit on your high horse and say the people are dumb but obviously, $172M judgment means Walmart was wrong...[/quote8920274bdb]

but employees were likely not taking the break on purpose so they could log an extra 30 minutes per shift, and make more money

Wolfeman

23-12-2005 17:36:35

[quoteefdbbd7da2="exclusiv"][quoteefdbbd7da2="Wolfeman"]Its not easy to tell your boss to fuck off, I'm taking a lunch break when you need that job to support your family and keep food on your plates. Its easy to sit on your high horse and say the people are dumb but obviously, $172M judgment means Walmart was wrong...[/quoteefdbbd7da2]

but employees were likely not taking the break on purpose so they could log an extra 30 minutes per shift, and make more money[/quoteefdbbd7da2]

Because the company screws them and keeps them part-time and won't let them unionize. Walmart is evil...

HumanMan

23-12-2005 17:39:40

Ok I know people deserve lunch breaks, so that is not what I am arguing about at all so don't mention that when you respond. Walmart is a minimum wage job, there are a lot of them in this country. Walmart is also not the hardest job so the people that work there deserve minimum wage. Take this into consideration. The airline companys use contractors to do the hard labor work (load and clean planes) and these contractors pay minimum wage (or not much more than minimum wage). Not only that but these contractors give abosutly no benifs (nope no free flights, no mdeical, no dental, no sick days). So why don't people ever attack Delta, US Airways, American Airlines, or Northwest (these are listede because I know for a fact that all these airlines use contractors that give no benifits and pay very low). This is a much harder job than walmart will ever be, so fuck it people at walmart get paid enough. They need to quit bitching.

Oh and by the way there is no contracted out airline employ union!

exclusiv

23-12-2005 17:41:41

[quote1471995713="Wolfeman"][quote1471995713="exclusiv"][quote1471995713="Wolfeman"]Its not easy to tell your boss to fuck off, I'm taking a lunch break when you need that job to support your family and keep food on your plates. Its easy to sit on your high horse and say the people are dumb but obviously, $172M judgment means Walmart was wrong...[/quote1471995713]

but employees were likely not taking the break on purpose so they could log an extra 30 minutes per shift, and make more money[/quote1471995713]

Because the company screws them and keeps them part-time and won't let them unionize. Walmart is evil...[/quote1471995713]

why should they be able to unionize, so they can get paid $20/hr to stock the shelf or greet people? the job requires NO SKILL or trade.

unions used to have a place in this society, but it's all bullshit anymore. union subway station agents in New York City make like 52k a year and they are on strike?

unions are part of the reason why companies have to outsource anymore to be competitive and profitable. fact is, there is always someone that can do the same job you do (or better) for less money. unions are for people that lack business sense. if they had anything to actually offer a company (such as creativity, ingenuity, other intangibles), they wouldn't need a union

Wolfeman

23-12-2005 17:51:09

[quote209b28cd15="HumanMan"]Ok I know people deserve lunch breaks, so that is not what I am arguing about at all so don't mention that when you respond. Walmart is a minimum wage job, there are a lot of them in this country. Walmart is also not the hardest job so the people that work there deserve minimum wage. Take this into consideration. The airline companys use contractors to do the hard labor work (load and clean planes) and these contractors pay minimum wage (or not much more than minimum wage). Not only that but these contractors give abosutly no benifs (nope no free flights, no mdeical, no dental, no sick days). So why don't people ever attack Delta, US Airways, American Airlines, or Northwest (these are listede because I know for a fact that all these airlines use contractors that give no benifits and pay very low). This is a much harder job than walmart will ever be, so fuck it people at walmart get paid enough. They need to quit bitching.

Oh and by the way there is no contracted out airline employ union![/quote209b28cd15]

Last time I checked the airlines weren't posting record profits. Also, when the Delta hub moved in next door, I didn't have to close my families store thats been open for 50 years and the town didn't go under.

I agree other jobs suck. I think you are wrong about airline people not having unions because I got stuck in Chicago because of an airline strike. The people that work at Walmart part-time like kids in high school, thats a different story. I'm talking about the people that work full-time hours but get paid part-time wages because Walmart fixes it so they can do that. In other countries where Walmart operates like Germany, they have unions and people make a decent living working there. You should watch this movie and then make your decisions on Walmart and what they do.

If you even mention unions, the manager is told to call the corporate office, they fly in a special team on a private jet, and they start a campaign against you. They spy on you and they also freeze all raises under the explanation that "giving raises would seem like we are bribing people". Even though the real reason is to make every employee hate you for trying to unionize.

I'm not against big business, I'm against big business at the expense of our country. There are other large discount stores that don't rape their employees and ruin towns. Costco is a great example, they treat their employees right.

How do we expect to grow as a country if we force people into poverty and welfare and eventually a life of crime?

Wolfeman

23-12-2005 17:54:57

[quotee229c66527="exclusiv"][quotee229c66527="Wolfeman"][quotee229c66527="exclusiv"][quotee229c66527="Wolfeman"]Its not easy to tell your boss to fuck off, I'm taking a lunch break when you need that job to support your family and keep food on your plates. Its easy to sit on your high horse and say the people are dumb but obviously, $172M judgment means Walmart was wrong...[/quotee229c66527]

but employees were likely not taking the break on purpose so they could log an extra 30 minutes per shift, and make more money[/quotee229c66527]

Because the company screws them and keeps them part-time and won't let them unionize. Walmart is evil...[/quotee229c66527]

why should they be able to unionize, so they can get paid $20/hr to stock the shelf or greet people? the job requires NO SKILL or trade.

unions used to have a place in this society, but it's all bullshit anymore. union subway station agents in New York City make like 52k a year and they are on strike?

unions are part of the reason why companies have to outsource anymore to be competitive and profitable. fact is, there is always someone that can do the same job you do (or better) for less money. unions are for people that lack business sense. if they had anything to actually offer a company (such as creativity, ingenuity, other intangibles), they wouldn't need a union[/quotee229c66527]

Unions protect the people against the large corporations. Unions are America. We out source so CEOs can keep getting raises while they lay people off. Walmart isn't a tough job, I agree, but that really doesn't have anything to do with how Walmart runs its company. The fact that they conspire to keep people that should be full-time, part-time just shows the lengths they'll go to to make sure they keep getting their 6 figure salaries...

exclusiv

23-12-2005 18:13:55

[quotebc9b1b1271="Wolfeman"][quotebc9b1b1271="exclusiv"][quotebc9b1b1271="Wolfeman"][quotebc9b1b1271="exclusiv"][quotebc9b1b1271="Wolfeman"]Its not easy to tell your boss to fuck off, I'm taking a lunch break when you need that job to support your family and keep food on your plates. Its easy to sit on your high horse and say the people are dumb but obviously, $172M judgment means Walmart was wrong...[/quotebc9b1b1271]

but employees were likely not taking the break on purpose so they could log an extra 30 minutes per shift, and make more money[/quotebc9b1b1271]

Because the company screws them and keeps them part-time and won't let them unionize. Walmart is evil...[/quotebc9b1b1271]

unions are part of the reason why companies have to outsource anymore to be competitive and profitable. fact is, there is always someone that can do the same job you do (or better) for less money. unions are for people that lack business sense. if they had anything to actually offer a company (such as creativity, ingenuity, other intangibles), they wouldn't need a union[/quotebc9b1b1271]

Unions protect the people against the large corporations. Unions are America. We out source so CEOs can keep getting raises while they lay people off. Walmart isn't a tough job, I agree, but that really doesn't have anything to do with how Walmart runs its company. The fact that they conspire to keep people that should be full-time, part-time just shows the lengths they'll go to to make sure they keep getting their 6 figure salaries...[/quotebc9b1b1271]

the boards determine the pay for the execs. execs deserve their pay because they run the company. obviously you don't have any idea what it takes to run a company if you see everything as "large corporations", execs and their salaries, and feel a need for unions.

union people are just grunts, anyone can do their job. they are overpaid in so many ways. GM pays around $1500 per car for healthcare for its union workers. Hard to stay atop the competition when you have to do so.

and companies outsource to remain competitive, to be profitable and stay in business, which in turn allows for creating new jobs and allowing people to keep their current jobs

HumanMan

23-12-2005 18:14:06

[quote08208d5a29="Wolfeman"][quote08208d5a29="HumanMan"]Ok I know people deserve lunch breaks, so that is not what I am arguing about at all so don't mention that when you respond. Walmart is a minimum wage job, there are a lot of them in this country. Walmart is also not the hardest job so the people that work there deserve minimum wage. Take this into consideration. The airline companys use contractors to do the hard labor work (load and clean planes) and these contractors pay minimum wage (or not much more than minimum wage). Not only that but these contractors give abosutly no benifs (nope no free flights, no mdeical, no dental, no sick days). So why don't people ever attack Delta, US Airways, American Airlines, or Northwest (these are listede because I know for a fact that all these airlines use contractors that give no benifits and pay very low). This is a much harder job than walmart will ever be, so fuck it people at walmart get paid enough. They need to quit bitching.

Oh and by the way there is no contracted out airline employ union![/quote08208d5a29]

Last time I checked the airlines weren't posting record profits. Also, when the Delta hub moved in next door, I didn't have to close my families store thats been open for 50 years and the town didn't go under.

I agree other jobs suck. I think you are wrong about airline people not having unions because I got stuck in Chicago because of an airline strike. The people that work at Walmart part-time like kids in high school, thats a different story. I'm talking about the people that work full-time hours but get paid part-time wages because Walmart fixes it so they can do that. In other countries where Walmart operates like Germany, they have unions and people make a decent living working there. You should watch this movie and then make your decisions on Walmart and what they do.

If you even mention unions, the manager is told to call the corporate office, they fly in a special team on a private jet, and they start a campaign against you. They spy on you and they also freeze all raises under the explanation that "giving raises would seem like we are bribing people". Even though the real reason is to make every employee hate you for trying to unionize.

I'm not against big business, I'm against big business at the expense of our country. There are other large discount stores that don't rape their employees and ruin towns. Costco is a great example, they treat their employees right.

How do we expect to grow as a country if we force people into poverty and welfare and eventually a life of crime?[/quote08208d5a29]

Ok let me explain how this works. There are some aiports where the ramp agents (the people who laod the planes and do all the real work at an airport) are employed directly by an airline. These people do have a union. Once these jobs are given to contractors, there are no nions.

Ok. You want to compare walmarts here to walmarts in germany. Compare the airline employsa that work for an airline and ones that work for a contractor. The ones that work for a contractor get paid significantly less and lose all the benifits that an airline company gives like dental,medical, free flights, sicks days, etc.

No town has ever "gone under" do to a walmart. Also, the reason people lose their family own store is because they can't compete. If you can't compete then you deserve to lose your store. Welcome to economics 101. Oh and incase you forgot, walmart started as a small store; they just became better and now they continue to win that war.

I know people who work at walmart and they get treated way better than contracted airline employs. I know a person who worked both jobs and quit the contracted airline because they treat people like shit. The reason you don't hear about it is because mostly men work at the airlines and mostly women work at walmart. Women bitch, it is only natural to them. Men just want a job to support their family. Call me sexist if you will, but this is the way of the world.

So work sucks, get over it. Save up, retire, and never think about it again.

Wolfeman

23-12-2005 18:23:57

You both need to watch the documentary. It will open your eyes.

HumanMan, I have BA in Econ. from a top school so please. Its not that simple and if you knew anything about economics you'd know that. If a company like Walmart comes into town and runs a lot of small business out by undercutting all the prices what it does is ruins a local economy. That company goes out of business and people have to get lower paying jobs. So by trying to save a couple bucks, you end up costing yourself a lot more. You end up with a lower wage, hence the name of the movie "The high cost of low prices". Also, if airline people get treated bad, they need help too but this is about Walmart.

theysayjump

23-12-2005 21:17:45

Wow.

I despise those fuckers even more now, which I didn't think was possible.

Everyone needs to see that documentary, very much worth it, opens your eyes and may even make you think twice about supporting a peice of shit company like that again.