How do you make a website with a good amount of unique hits?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=27841

whatisntseen

04-12-2005 12:06:13

I'm just curious because I know that many of you have done this, how do you go about making a site in which you get a good amount of unique users a day or week? Where does your inspiration for the site come from. I dont plan on making one because I have no funds, but I'm curious.

Peinecone

04-12-2005 12:07:56

I don't think it's hard to make the site, but advertise it good to get the hits.

agroman

04-12-2005 12:13:26

[quote52b0dcf531="whatisntseen"]I'm just curious because I know that many of you have done this, how do you go about making a site in which you get a good amount of unique users a day or week? Where does your inspiration for the site come from. I dont plan on making one because I have no funds, but I'm curious.[/quote52b0dcf531]

In a nutshell.

First, your website needs an attraction.... Some special or interesting content, a service.... something.

Then, you attract visitors to the content or service on your website by advertising. Word of mouth, google adwords, link/banner exchanges (which could then increase your google pagerank).

whatisntseen

04-12-2005 12:20:41

so in other words you need something to hook them and then spread the word...

Blink182=Gone

04-12-2005 12:24:24

[quote384a2bd04a="whatisntseen"]so in other words you need something to hook them and then spread the word...[/quote384a2bd04a]

yea, but you really don't get many hits by spamming your site. You really need to join a few ad networks, especially Google's.

whatisntseen

04-12-2005 12:31:29

in general, for decent advertising, how much would it cost per month?

Veek

04-12-2005 12:38:55

I have my fashion photography website/portfolio which is linked by various other people. It gets a good amound of unique hits a day. However, it's unprofessional to have a banner blinking "GET A FREE IPOD HERE!"

Blink182=Gone

04-12-2005 12:40:37

[quotee9eb16b11c="Veek"]...it's unprofessional to have a banner blinking "GET A FREE IPOD HERE!"[/quotee9eb16b11c]

yea, that's true

agroman

04-12-2005 12:42:13

[quote677d7bf4fb="whatisntseen"]in general, for decent advertising, how much would it cost per month?[/quote677d7bf4fb]

Adwords is a great affordable way to advertise. You get charged per-click (not by impressions) and you can set your own cost-per-click.

However, they have a suggessted or average CPC rate for certain adwords (which are basically just keywords you associate with your ad; for example a site like Amazon would use keywords like "book" "cd" "music" etc). If the price you set is higher than the average, you ad gets more impressions. If the price you set is lower than the average, your ad gets less impressions.

Check it out http//adwords.google.com

Admin

04-12-2005 14:01:51

It depends on the content and stuff. Generally speaking, find a niche and do what you're doing better than anyone else. FiPG still gets 6000+ uniques/day and I've spent $0 on advertising for it. FusionCash gets much fewer, and I'm spending insane amounts of money on advertising ($480 yesterday alone).

Conner5

04-12-2005 14:26:22

[quoteeaa0a68674="Admin"]It depends on the content and stuff. Generally speaking, find a niche and do what you're doing better than anyone else. FiPG still gets 6000+ uniques/day and I've spent $0 on advertising for it. FusionCash gets much fewer, and I'm spending insane amounts of money on advertising ($480 yesterday alone).[/quoteeaa0a68674]

I dont mean to premote more advertising, unless it benifits me, but I know if I was you, I would just advertise FC on here. Especially if the hits are so much more like that.

Admin

04-12-2005 19:13:06

a) i did for a long time to little effect
b) without sounding like too much of a dick, forum users are the WORST in terms of problems, fraud, etc with freesites. your average internet user is much much much better.

Sweeney2066

04-12-2005 20:04:23

[quote298cdaa44c="Admin"]a) i did for a long time to little effect
b) without sounding like too much of a dick, forum users are the WORST in terms of problems, fraud, etc with freesites. your average internet user is much much much better.[/quote298cdaa44c] Makes sense. Because we actually complete the sites?
Edit Jk since you have FushionCash. But I get what your saying.

johnjimjones

04-12-2005 20:17:55

[quoteae7aff1603="Admin"]a) i did for a long time to little effect
b) without sounding like too much of a dick, forum users are the WORST in terms of problems, fraud, etc with freesites. your average internet user is much much much better.[/quoteae7aff1603]

I think (to some effect) that it doesn't work here as much because we're more knowledgable about freesites and figure its more beneficial to freepay sites that do it yourself.

srichter

05-12-2005 07:36:15

[quote5ff3b3aac7="Sweeney2066"][quote5ff3b3aac7="Admin"]a) i did for a long time to little effect
b) without sounding like too much of a dick, forum users are the WORST in terms of problems, fraud, etc with freesites. your average internet user is much much much better.[/quote5ff3b3aac7] Makes sense. Because we actually complete the sites?
Edit Jk since you have FushionCash. But I get what your saying.[/quote5ff3b3aac7]

When a user "completes" FusionCash (cashes out), it actually benefits us. We don't like users who are "knowledgeable" because they

a) Fraud offers (do them multiple times, do them to cancel)
b) Whine like a girl when their $0.25 offer didn't credit
c) Spam their referral link around getting our site in trouble

There are exceptions to the rule, some of our best users have come from sites like FIPG, but the majority are users we'd rather not have to deal with.