I just got into college

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=27779

srichter

03-12-2005 12:33:50

I just got accepted to the Bennet S. Lebow College of Business at Drexel University )

Veek

03-12-2005 12:34:37

cheer toast

srichter

03-12-2005 12:35:52

The funny part is, I thought it was a long shot even with a completed application, but I never even got time to send my essay in!

Cash4Cookies

03-12-2005 12:43:28

say hi to wood for us. or I can just say it now

Hi wood!

bballp6699

03-12-2005 12:44:23

Wood goes to Drexel. Not sure if the one you got accepted to is actually at Drexel or a branch, but yeah...

tsanghan

03-12-2005 12:44:36

congrats !

double_d

03-12-2005 14:04:46

Any chance you could get my $30 back from wood?

tracemhunter

03-12-2005 14:39:34

any chance you could get my ref from him as well? lol

cyberpunk243

03-12-2005 14:55:48

good job

tracemhunter

03-12-2005 15:03:17

i think i will apply to drexel as well. the school looks good and from what i understand a bunch of things arent required to send in (hs transcript, essay, application fee, sat scores) for transfer students. might as well apply.

ffactoryxx

03-12-2005 16:39:45

Good luck guys. Im in my last year of DREXEL UV.

Beware of the shaft.

Also when chosing teachers, check out

dureview.com[]dureview.com

and

drexelreview.com[]drexelreview.com

they both have student reviews and ratings of teachers

CollidgeGraduit

03-12-2005 18:31:51

[quoteb5cac8dc28="srichter"]I just got accepted to the Bennet S. Lebow College of Business at Drexel University )[/quoteb5cac8dc28]

good. maybe you won't be such a dumbass anymore D D 8) lol

wolverine13

03-12-2005 19:23:33

congrats bro

johnjimjones

03-12-2005 21:12:17

Great job, always good feeling when you get that big envelope.

Daggoth

03-12-2005 21:13:06

4 years of hell. Good luck!

nextlevel

04-12-2005 07:24:55

[quote4337b71aad="srichter"]I just got accepted to the Bennet S. Lebow College of Business at Drexel University )[/quote4337b71aad]

Congrats!!

I personally think college is a waste, but, hope it works out fror ya.

Cash4Cookies

04-12-2005 07:47:39

[quotead124b68f6="nextlevel"][quotead124b68f6="srichter"]I just got accepted to the Bennet S. Lebow College of Business at Drexel University )[/quotead124b68f6]

Congrats!!

I personally think college is a waste, but, hope it works out fror ya.[/quotead124b68f6]

I agree! People who graduate college are going nowhere, oh wait...

Powerbook

04-12-2005 07:54:16

[quotec8bf2be3a9="Cash4Cookies"][quotec8bf2be3a9="nextlevel"][quotec8bf2be3a9="srichter"]I just got accepted to the Bennet S. Lebow College of Business at Drexel University )[/quotec8bf2be3a9]

Congrats!!

I personally think college is a waste, but, hope it works out fror ya.[/quotec8bf2be3a9]

I agree! People who graduate college are going nowhere, oh wait...[/quotec8bf2be3a9]

Well the money you pay for college is not worth it, but the experience and opportunities you get will be worth it. If you get good grades in high school and participate in extracuricullar activites, college will be very affordable. Getting that masters in finance (not sure what you will be going for) can earn you 100K+ right after school. D Imagine after 5-10 years the moola you will be bringing in. D Then you can tell everyone to bow

nextlevel

04-12-2005 07:55:59

[quote74ea0eee8c="Cash4Cookies"]

I agree! People who graduate college are going nowhere, oh wait...[/quote74ea0eee8c]

How many actually graduate??

How many can't afford the bills, because after they graduate can't find a job or because they couldn't finish because of stress or personal issues, destroy whatever credit they have, get discouraged and ruin their lives more then if they never decided to go?...

Argue with that..

Powerbook

04-12-2005 08:07:29

[quote066927664a="nextlevel"][quote066927664a="Cash4Cookies"]

I agree! People who graduate college are going nowhere, oh wait...[/quote066927664a]

How many can't afford the bills, because after they graduate can't find a job or because they couldn't finish because of stress or personal issues, destroy whatever credit they have, get discouraged and ruin their lives more then if they never decided to go?...

Argue with that..[/quote066927664a]

Well that's true, there are people that undergoe that situation. Getting good grades in high school, participating in after school activities can ease the financial standpoint of college. All my friends' families were not wealthy at all and they are doing fine in college. Many of them won merits and scholarships. If you work hard, you can play hard. D

tylerc

04-12-2005 11:38:51

Congrats!

I plan on going to Indiana University in Bloomington, majoring in Accounting and possibly going to grad school at the University of Michigan and becoming a tax lawyer, I haven't decided. Either IU, or the University of Chicago.

Cash4Cookies

04-12-2005 12:03:39

[quote8f78f495fd="nextlevel"][quote8f78f495fd="Cash4Cookies"]

I agree! People who graduate college are going nowhere, oh wait...[/quote8f78f495fd]

Argue with that..[/quote8f78f495fd]

Your right! Oh, not really... wait, what the fuck are we "arguing" about? I mean, if your point is, you have a better chance of being succesful not going to college, I think your a dumb sonofabitch. How old are you?

I will excuse your stupidity because you are from Philly and don't know any better.

bballp6699

04-12-2005 12:07:37

Let's leave Philly out of this.

Cash4Cookies

04-12-2005 12:08:18

ok, just for you. D

nextlevel

04-12-2005 12:16:56

Do the math, how many people who goto college actually make it through?

How many people who finished college do you know that are still having a hardtime finding a job in whatever they went to college for..

How many start and cant finish...

bballp6699

04-12-2005 12:19:05

How many people don't go to college and live with their parents until they're 30? Then they move out and live in a crap apt/house until they realize that the hard labor they've been doing for the past 20 years isn't feeling too good on their backs anymore...

Then they move back with their parents.

hehehhehe

04-12-2005 12:20:15

[quotef253537317="nextlevel"]

Argue with that..[/quotef253537317]
Most graduate (more than half, though I admit the dropout rate is still surprisingly high) and don't face that doomed scenario you bring up. The dropout rate is high since kids don't smartly register to cheaper community or in-state schools when they might not have enough funds, study hard enough and party too much, or don't like university study (they shouldn't go in that case obviously).

Destroy whatever credit they have? People don't thave much of a credit record at college age, there's not much to destroy. Just getting a bachelor's gets you about 50% more in annual salary than someone with no degree (google and you'll see many surveys giving that figure). Who do you think is going to have more trouble paying the bills and having a shittier life?

ditto_mark

04-12-2005 12:23:41

http//www.philly1.com/LOVE060204.jpeg[" alt=""/imgde4d59b477]

agroman

04-12-2005 12:38:02

The success of the economy and the industries that people work in have a bigger impact on their success than their education or lack of education.

For example, I began doing computer work in high school. Never went to college. Continued to work in that industry after graduating high school. I'm making a nice salary for one of the top US cellular carriers. The experience I gained in the industry helped me get my current job. However, a lot of my friends and acquaintances weren't so lucky after the tech boom of the late 90's. Some of them have began working in other industries, while others have gone back to college.

I don't think I'm in some minority group either. There are tons of young adults like me who have used their work history and experience to build a career.

Blanket statements like "college degrees are worthless" or "people without college degrees won't succeed" are just wrong. It's how you use what you've got; be it real-life work experience or a college degree.

nextlevel

04-12-2005 12:47:03

[quotebbb32eab5b="hehehhehe"][quotebbb32eab5b="nextlevel"]

Argue with that..[/quotebbb32eab5b]
Most graduate (more than half, though I admit the dropout rate is still surprisingly high) and don't face that doomed scenario you bring up. The dropout rate is high since kids don't smartly register to cheaper community or in-state schools when they might not have enough funds, study hard enough and party too much, or don't like university study (they shouldn't go in that case obviously).

[bbbb32eab5b]Destroy whatever credit they have? People don't thave much of a credit record at college age, there's not much to destroy.[/bbbb32eab5b] Just getting a bachelor's gets you about 50% more in annual salary than someone with no degree (google and you'll see many surveys giving that figure). Who do you think is going to have more trouble paying the bills and having a shittier life?[/quotebbb32eab5b]

My point is not directly looking at when they go into college, its for when they finish, or drop out.....

If they finish, and are lucky enough to find a job in whatever they were taking up, things have a better chance of working out..

If they drop out, they were better of not ever starting, since now they are heavily in debt, with nothing to show for it..

[bbbb32eab5b]To the comment attacking my person, and my city...
Keep your opinion about me and my city out of your mouth..[/bbbb32eab5b]

Cash4Cookies

04-12-2005 12:48:23

[quote722252ef3f="agroman"]Blanket statements like "college degrees are worthless" or "people without college degrees won't succeed" are just wrong. It's how you use what you've got; be it experience or a college degree.[/quote722252ef3f]

I agree, more than anything it boils down to what you are good at. I just thought what he was saying was, college is bad. Which is just stupid to say, but anyways, this guy isnt the brightest philladelphian out there (maybe he is, cuz its not saying much). And to my bashing of philly, I hate philly's sports teams, being in Tampa we have something of a little rivalry. Ive met like 4 people from philly, and I hate them all, so I just figure everything about philly sucks. If you are cool and live in philly, I would like to meet you, just so I know its not that terrible.

agroman

04-12-2005 12:53:02

[quote20913a3985="nextlevel"]
[b20913a3985]Keep your opinion about me and my city out of your mouth..[/b20913a3985][/quote20913a3985]

He did keep it out of his mouth. It went straight from brain to keyboard... roll

agroman

04-12-2005 12:54:08

[quoted09463800f="Cash4Cookies"]And to my bashing of philly, I hate philly's sports teams, being in Tampa we have something of a little rivalry. Ive met like 4 people from philly, and I hate them all, so I just figure everything about philly sucks. If you are cool and live in philly, I would like to meet you, just so I know its not that terrible.[/quoted09463800f]

Ok. Now [bd09463800f]THAT[/bd09463800f] is just ridiculous.

nextlevel

04-12-2005 12:54:54

[quotee6c299ae50="agroman"][quotee6c299ae50="nextlevel"]
[be6c299ae50]Keep your opinion about me and my city out of your mouth..[/be6c299ae50][/quotee6c299ae50]

He did keep it out of his mouth. It went straight from brain to keyboard... roll[/quotee6c299ae50]

D

Cash4Cookies

04-12-2005 12:58:45

I really dont want to fuel this fire anymore, but this has to be said. Apparently nextlevel tells me that if you enroll in college, you have a 1/20 chance of being succesful, ok, thats fine. But get this, 4 are going to be dead or in jail, with 15 being "highly in debt". So everyone out there, it looks better just not to even try, the odds are against you. srichter, I wish you good luck, just you heard it here first from nextlevel, your doomed.

agroman

04-12-2005 13:10:07

Shit, everyone I know is "highly in debt". It's what this country is all about! Most people live waaay above their means; buying things they don't need or can't afford in the first place.

Yes, a college education will add a pretty big chunk of $$$ to your debt. It will begin to look small once you decide to buy a house. Even in the cheapest areas of the US a nice 3 bedroom/2 bath house will run ~$100-120k.

Each of these things are investments. A college education is an investment in your future. A house is an investment. Investments can work for you or against you too. You may decide to buy a house that decreases in value. And in comparison, you may have chosen to get your master's degree in Geography and have a hard time finding a job as a cartographer.

nextlevel

04-12-2005 13:10:43

[quote61ddd56464="Cash4Cookies"]I really dont want to fuel this fire anymore, but this has to be said. Apparently nextlevel tells me that if you enroll in college, you have a 1/20 chance of being succesful, ok, thats fine. But get this, 4 are going to be dead or in jail, with 15 being "highly in debt". So everyone out there, it looks better just not to even try, the odds are against you. srichter, I wish you good luck, just you heard it here first from nextlevel, your doomed.[/quote61ddd56464]

lol, this has some truth to it I must admit.. spun alot nonetheless though

I think cookie will be 1 out of the 4, that die... he will prolly commit suicide when he realizes life is harder then highschool.

Cash4Cookies

04-12-2005 13:17:44

I spun it so bad...

nextlevel ill tell u my math to what i asked u
nextlevel about 1 out of 20
nextlevel actually made it through college n doing what they took in college
nextlevel 1 out of 20
nextlevel now out of that 20
nextlevel over 15 r highly in debt
nextlevel 4 r in jail or dead

Damn, im a terrible person, I took what u said and just turned it around. Honestly, this guy is crazy.

nextlevel

04-12-2005 13:26:57

[quote8dac4db049="Cash4Cookies"]I spun it so bad...
nextlevel ill tell u my math to what i asked u
nextlevel about 1 out of 20
nextlevel actually made it through college n doing what they took in college
nextlevel 1 out of 20
nextlevel now out of that 20
nextlevel over 15 r highly in debt
nextlevel 4 r in jail or dead

Damn, im a terrible person, I took what u said and just turned it around. Honestly, this guy is crazy.[/quote8dac4db049]

I asked him how many people does he know that finished college, he said none, he is not in college yet, so I gave him the stats I have of people who went to college..

Unlike him, I'm not going to post things he said to me...
I never made any comment towards anyone, just stated some truth on how things can go, if you don't take college serious.

Most can't keep up with a cell phone bill...

ditto_mark

04-12-2005 13:56:00

Wow your friends are morons.

nextlevel

04-12-2005 14:04:44

[quotef29363dcc4="ditto_mark"]Wow your friends are morons.[/quotef29363dcc4]

lol, no comment wink

ilanbg

04-12-2005 17:46:42

The idea that going to college isn't worth it is absurd.

I don't even feel I need to explain why; anyone who can get into college will be smart enough to figure it out.

The rest will be jealous and in denial about it. wink

kyks17

04-12-2005 18:32:27

college sucks. im in my 3rd year of it, and it has always sucked. no matter how much i study, im lucky to pass the harder classes, and ive only gotten 4 As to speak of in the past 2+ years. and its not cuz i party too much (ive actually only been to 1 rager this whole time), and its not cuz i dunt study enough. its just cuz college sucks! but i dunt think i would be better off without it. sure, i cant ever go to grad skool now since my GPA is a mere 3.1. sure, that was my original plan and it makes me sad that i couldnt have done better. but i think if i hadnt done college at all, i would have an even more difficult time. my dads in the same field and when he got laid off due to his company closing, it was very hard for him to get another job since alot of people with masters were applying (this is what his interviewers told him). so no bachelors even....forget it.

my major is computer science, btw

tracemhunter

04-12-2005 18:35:48

a lot of people where i used to work were computer science majors and couldnt find a job in the field. even a coworker that graduated from northwestern couldnt find anything in her field (industrial engineering). but to me, in order to be a failure is having to move back in with your parents for longer than 6 months after graduating college.

kyks17

04-12-2005 18:41:18

i dunt plan on ever moving back in with my parents ) i have my apt at skool for now, and im gonna move in with my bf when we finish college. with 2 ppl, rent is very affordable. i worked full time this summer for $13/hr and had no problem paying all my bills and having lots leftover too. id rather take a crappier job than move back in with my parents...lishuddersli

ilanbg

04-12-2005 19:26:28

[quotefe2d37052b="kyks17"]college sucks. im in my 3rd year of it, and it has always sucked. no matter how much i study, im lucky to pass the harder classes, and ive only gotten 4 As to speak of in the past 2+ years. and its not cuz i party too much (ive actually only been to 1 rager this whole time), and its not cuz i dunt study enough. its just cuz college sucks! but i dunt think i would be better off without it. sure, i cant ever go to grad skool now since my GPA is a mere 3.1. sure, that was my original plan and it makes me sad that i couldnt have done better. but i think if i hadnt done college at all, i would have an even more difficult time. my dads in the same field and when he got laid off due to his company closing, it was very hard for him to get another job since alot of people with masters were applying (this is what his interviewers told him). so no bachelors even....forget it.

my major is computer science, btw[/quotefe2d37052b]

Judging by your spelling and punctuation, I'd say it was natural intelligence that was hindering your success in college.

Personally, I can't wait 'til I get there. Work hard and play hard.

johnjimjones

04-12-2005 19:42:03

[quote044a5ea3ed="ilanbg"]
Judging by your spelling and punctuation, I'd say it was natural intelligence that was hindering your success in college.

Personally, I can't wait 'til I get there. Work hard and play hard.[/quote044a5ea3ed]

That's what its all about.....oh and time management that too <---what screwed me over royally this semester.

tylerc

04-12-2005 20:07:19

[quoteb2a97decbe="ilanbg"][quoteb2a97decbe="kyks17"]college sucks. im in my 3rd year of it, and it has always sucked. no matter how much i study, im lucky to pass the harder classes, and ive only gotten 4 As to speak of in the past 2+ years. and its not cuz i party too much (ive actually only been to 1 rager this whole time), and its not cuz i dunt study enough. its just cuz college sucks! but i dunt think i would be better off without it. sure, i cant ever go to grad skool now since my GPA is a mere 3.1. sure, that was my original plan and it makes me sad that i couldnt have done better. but i think if i hadnt done college at all, i would have an even more difficult time. my dads in the same field and when he got laid off due to his company closing, it was very hard for him to get another job since alot of people with masters were applying (this is what his interviewers told him). so no bachelors even....forget it.

my major is computer science, btw[/quoteb2a97decbe]

Personally, I can't wait 'til I get there. Work hard and play hard.[/quoteb2a97decbe]

I was going to say the same thing lol

kyks17

04-12-2005 21:15:07

[quotecbb811a334="ilanbg"][quotecbb811a334="kyks17"]college sucks. im in my 3rd year of it, and it has always sucked. no matter how much i study, im lucky to pass the harder classes, and ive only gotten 4 As to speak of in the past 2+ years. and its not cuz i party too much (ive actually only been to 1 rager this whole time), and its not cuz i dunt study enough. its just cuz college sucks! but i dunt think i would be better off without it. sure, i cant ever go to grad skool now since my GPA is a mere 3.1. sure, that was my original plan and it makes me sad that i couldnt have done better. but i think if i hadnt done college at all, i would have an even more difficult time. my dads in the same field and when he got laid off due to his company closing, it was very hard for him to get another job since alot of people with masters were applying (this is what his interviewers told him). so no bachelors even....forget it.

my major is computer science, btw[/quotecbb811a334]

Personally, I can't wait 'til I get there. Work hard and play hard.[/quotecbb811a334]

yeah, im sure theres not a single successful person who types differently in chats....of course not, just me. clearly i have no idea how to use punctuation simply because i choose not to use it when posting on boards and on aim.

nextlevel

04-12-2005 21:25:06

[quote37dc1c0952="kyks17"]

yeah, im sure theres not a single successful person who types differently in chats....of course not, just me. clearly i have no idea how to use punctuation simply because i choose not to use it when posting on boards and on aim.[/quote37dc1c0952]

mE eitheR.. wink

srichter

14-12-2005 11:32:57

I just got another letter, they gave me the Dean's Scholarship, $12k/yr for 4 years. Now I only need to come up with 28k/yr )

PoPoJiJo

14-12-2005 11:34:57

[quotedaf6202eaa="srichter"]I just got another letter, they gave me the Dean's Scholarship, $12k/yr for 4 years. Now I only need to come up with 28k/yr )[/quotedaf6202eaa]
damn son thats real nice congrats

johnjimjones

14-12-2005 12:03:30

40k/yr wtf?

Godrockdj

14-12-2005 12:04:37

[quotec13f215f14="Cash4Cookies"] And to my bashing of philly, I hate philly's sports teams, being in Tampa we have something of a little rivalry. [bc13f215f14] Ive met like 4 people from philly, and I hate them all, so I just figure everything about philly sucks. [/bc13f215f14] If you are cool and live in philly, I would like to meet you, just so I know its not that terrible.[/quotec13f215f14]

roll Extremely intelligent viewpoint there.

Edit Btw, congrats srichter! Drexel is a great school, I have several friends that attend. The thing you have to get used to are their funky "trimesters"

exclusiv

14-12-2005 12:06:55

nextlevel, your argument is void because it is based on the experiences of those that fail and those that cannot finish; it is based on those that aren't meant for college

plus, not everyone that graduates from college was truly meant for it. it boggled me how many people got in and even finished from my university, only to do nothing after graduation.

the fact remains that people with a college education generally earn a higher salary and are able to get more stable and rewarding jobs than those that do not

one thing that you also don't realize is that college isn't all about the education. the intangible skills and the overall experience that one attains in their four or five years cannot be taken for granted, nor can they be measured.

because of these intangibles, it's not always imperative that one apply for a job that directly correlates with their major. those that cannot find a job either 1) lack these intangibles, or 2) are relying solely upon their specific degree to land them a job, instead of focusing on the unique value proposition that they can bring to their prospective employer

[bf04a63d3eb]in this current economy, there is always someone that can do the same work you can do for cheaper. you can outsource work, but you can't outsource creativity and ideas. those that are struggling (college educated or not) don't understand this.[/bf04a63d3eb]