Paypal protection against fraud?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=27710

ffactoryxx

02-12-2005 11:49:42

I am shipping some items accross country and the total is 900. The buyer just signed up for a paypal account and wants to use his CC to make the payment then i ship the items. What are ther risks involved on my side. Can the payment i recieve be reverted after i send the item? I have a premier account and dont know what he has.

Its not through ebay or anything. Thats why im asking

hehehhehe

02-12-2005 12:08:51

Google PayPal seller protection. If you don't know this person, I'd ask for a check or money order and wait to ship until it clears since it's $900.

Admin

02-12-2005 12:46:58

If you ship to a confirmed address, and you're paypal verified, and you ship with a tracking number and signature confirmation, in theory, you are paypal protected.

if the buyer files a chargeback with his credit card company, paypal is going to take that money back out of your account. BUT, if you fit the above criteria, you can dispute the chargeback and if you did everything correctly and pluto is aligned with venus and the moon is waxing, paypal will, in theory, give you the money back. but i wouldn't really count on it. i fucking hate paypal.

hehehhehe

02-12-2005 13:10:21

[quote01e1e0da5b="Admin"]BUT, if you fit the above criteria, you can dispute the chargeback and if you did everything correctly and pluto is aligned with venus and the moon is waxing, paypal will, in theory, give you the money back. but i wouldn't really count on it. i fucking hate paypal.[/quote01e1e0da5b]
That's exactly how it is. If you read the terms for the protection, you'll see a lot of criteria. The main one to watch out for is that they require to have the package signed on delivery by the person you are selling to, not a neighbor, family member, or super/doorman. To ensure that, you need to use a specific FedEx option (I don't know about UPS but USPS surely doesn't control that).

And since you're verified, they'll take the money out of your bank account in case they chargeback if the money's not in your paypal.

doylnea

02-12-2005 13:12:00

[quote535854456e="Admin"]If you ship to a confirmed address, and you're paypal verified, and you ship with a tracking number and signature confirmation, in theory, you are paypal protected.

if the buyer files a chargeback with his credit card company, paypal is going to take that money back out of your account. BUT, if you fit the above criteria, you can dispute the chargeback and if you did everything correctly and pluto is aligned with venus and the moon is waxing, paypal will, in theory, give you the money back. but i wouldn't really count on it. i fucking hate paypal.[/quote535854456e]

Just to emphasize what Admin wrote, even if you do everything correctly and follow Paypal's Seller Protection Policy to the letter, if the Buyer files a chargeback with his CC, paypal will take the money away from you and then bend you over six ways to Sunday for fun. And to add instult to injury, they'll send you to a collection agency if you don't have a bank account / CC linked to your paypal account.

As a result, I tend to accept ONLY USPS Money Orders for anything I sell on eBay valued at over $200 or so. I only ship after I have cashed the money order and have the cash in my hands. At that point, you're pretty well protected (unless the buyer files a INR), but then all you'll lose is a negative on your eBay account.

Admin

02-12-2005 13:13:19

one option is to
- accept the money
- transfer to bank immediately
- once its through, report your cc stolen and call your bank and ask for a new account number.

that way, paypal will have nowhere to take the money from. but i'm not sure if they'll send you to collection \

fgr_admin

02-12-2005 13:22:22

Odds are if they do a CC chargeback and you have a balance, which odds are you will. since it takes 2-3 days for monies to be transfered out. Paypal will seize your monies.

I had this happen bfore, and no matter how much you huff and puff Paypal will refuse to give you back your money. They will only say they vigourously fight any chargebacks (yea right) and that the person violated the TOS.

Paypal however cannot pull money from your bank account or CC if your account goes negative.

Again like I said I had this happen before (account is still negative 5k)

They can sedn collection, but since your SS# was never involved with paypal they cant go after your credit. So you can tell the creditors to go jump off a ledge.

Paypal can not sue you, or give you bad credit. All they can do is cfreeze your account.

So its up to you if you want to risk your account.

I would suggest pulling every penny out before the transaction, then every penny they send you as soon as it arrives.

kdollar

02-12-2005 13:34:07

admin's sounds best, suck everything out...and have it in cash.

doylnea

02-12-2005 13:41:07

[quotea6c8bf248f="fgr_admin"]Odds are if they do a CC chargeback and you have a balance, which odds are you will. since it takes 2-3 days for monies to be transfered out. Paypal will seize your monies.

I had this happen bfore, and no matter how much you huff and puff Paypal will refuse to give you back your money. They will only say they vigourously fight any chargebacks (yea right) and that the person violated the TOS.

Paypal however cannot pull money from your bank account or CC if your account goes negative.

Again like I said I had this happen before (account is still negative 5k)

They can sedn collection, but since your SS# was never involved with paypal they cant go after your credit. So you can tell the creditors to go jump off a ledge.

Paypal can not sue you, or give you bad credit. All they can do is cfreeze your account.

So its up to you if you want to risk your account.

I would suggest pulling every penny out before the transaction, then every penny they send you as soon as it arrives.[/quotea6c8bf248f]

You don't need a SS# to send a collection agency after anyone, a mailing address suffices. Paypal probably wouldn't waste the resources on a small amount (because the Collection Agency takes about 33% of anything they recover) but they certainly would on a large transaction amount. I'm surprised you haven't heard from NCO yet.

Here's a bit of info on Paypal and their collection agency - http//www.paypalsucks.com/nco-collection-agency.shtml

Wolfeman

02-12-2005 13:58:53

I have mixed feelings about PayPal but no matter what make sure its a confirmed address you ship to.

GiftOrb

02-12-2005 14:09:38

DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL. I'm pretty sure thier seller protection policy only applies to mainly US shipments and maybe Canada.(they might have added more countries) Anywhere else, you are most likely on your own. Just ask the guy to pay via BIDPAY.COM

Its free to set up an account, and its 100% protected against chargebacks without you having to do anything.

I've had people do chargebacks before, and all paypal does is take the money away from my account. They don't care at all even if you are Seller Protected and followed all the rules. Its either they lose money, or you, so obviously, it would be you.

www.paypalsucks.com

Read up. Have fun.

dudelovesFinch1035

02-12-2005 15:30:55

I hate paypal.....too assholes

ilanbg

02-12-2005 15:49:09

Never had any problems with paypal. Then again, I've never sold anything online yet.

In theory, could you have an account that isn't associated with a bank account, then send your money to a second account that [if9d7bf3658]is[/if9d7bf3658] associated? Paypal laundering, so to speak.

doylnea

02-12-2005 15:56:10

[quote5ef864d6d7="ilanbg"]Never had any problems with paypal. Then again, I've never sold anything online yet.

In theory, could you have an account that isn't associated with a bank account, then send your money to a second account that [i5ef864d6d7]is[/i5ef864d6d7] associated? Paypal laundering, so to speak.[/quote5ef864d6d7]

No, that is strictly forbidden, and they love to search for accounts like that and take all of the money.

GiftOrb

02-12-2005 16:59:19

[quote2596ae1f34]In theory, could you have an account that isn't associated with a bank account, then send your money to a second account that is associated? Paypal laundering, so to speak[/quote2596ae1f34]

Nope. A friend of mine used to sell Diablo 2 items on ebay, and since ebay doesn't have seller protection on non tangable items, he would try to protect his money by sending it to me.

One day someone does a charge back to his account. Paypal took it out of MY ACCOUNT!!!

DO NOT USE PAYPAL when selling something expensive. I usually stop accepting paypal around the $75 and above mark. Guess its up to you what you're willing to risk.

EatChex89

02-12-2005 18:19:01

I use paypal for everything -D

It's my own bank account. I've had thea ccount fora bout 3 years, so they most likely won't shut me down.

their interest is up to 4.03% .. it went up over .08 percent in the past week. thats alot for one week

Admin

02-12-2005 18:23:09

Thats what I thought. "Hell", i thought to myself. "I've paid over $1300 in fees in the past year alone. I'll get the benefit of the doubt!". Then they closed the account with NO CHANCE OF APPEAL. Why? Because FreeiPodGuide donations were just a front for the illegal pyramid scheme I was running. That's right folks, over [i81a4dc54c9]$1300[/i81a4dc54c9] in fees paid and I got no support, nobody I could talk to on the phone, nothing. I HATE PAYPAL.

ffactoryxx

02-12-2005 18:55:36

Well what if i withdraw all the funds to my BANK ACCOUNT!!

They cant touch that can they

ilanbg

02-12-2005 19:39:35

If you read the responses above, you'd see that they can, and do.

ilanbg

02-12-2005 19:40:23

I wonder how many accounts you could send the money to before they lost trace of it.

Or if they ever did. I imagine if they always followed it, mistakes would be made way too often.

fawker

02-12-2005 20:22:42

well i made a new paypal account and was wondering if i could use a giftcard. I was told yes but when i put the shit in it denies my card even though i have plenty of money left

GiftOrb

02-12-2005 20:26:52

[quotee180b3637b="fawker"]well i made a new paypal account and was wondering if i could use a giftcard. I was told yes but when i put the shit in it denies my card even though i have plenty of money left[/quotee180b3637b]

I'm not sure, but about half a year ago I talked to technical support about trying to fund my paypal account with a visa gift card. They said that paypal does not accept those, and is not in the process of implementing it into thier systems yet.

BUT, this was about half a year ago, so who knows, maybe they are starting to accept certain ones.

theysayjump

02-12-2005 20:30:44

[quote178a88cd6b="ilanbg"]I wonder how many accounts you could send the money to before they lost trace of it.

Or if they ever did. I imagine if they always followed it, mistakes would be made way too often.[/quote178a88cd6b]

If you just continued sending it between various different accounts/people, the fucking fees would just eat all the money you had away.

Either way they would still get it.

How much longer does the world have to wait for Google.Wallet?

doylnea

02-12-2005 20:34:15

[quotee9b53fe97b="theysayjump"]to wait for Google.Wallet?[/quotee9b53fe97b]
My friend (with an in at Google) suggested GMoney - which I think is pretty hysterical and clever at the same time

theysayjump

02-12-2005 20:37:59

lol

That would be cool, but probably not taken very seriously.

Inner city thugs with T1 lines would use it to sell crack.