Do You Think This Is A Good Thing?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=26931

theysayjump

22-11-2005 00:19:24

I was doing an offer tonight and whilst reading the TOS at the bottom it says this

[quoteace2f7aa3b]Customers purchasing CortiBan™ Ultra through an incentive web site (qualifying for, as an example, a Free IPOD® through a third party advertiser) and initiating a cancel before the initial product shipment has been received by the customer will incur a $49.95 program cancellation charge.[/quoteace2f7aa3b]

I think all offers should have something like this because there are too many idiots who sign up for a free trial and then cancel it the next day. If people continue to do that then the Free Sites won't be around much longer. I know eFax and Stamps.com have similar disclaimers, but this is the 1st offer I've seen that actually addresses the Freebie Scene.

Thoughts?

If not, why not?

SkeetBoopTurd

22-11-2005 01:08:14

this has been brought up once before...I guess they are just covering their asses

Admin

22-11-2005 01:13:42

to me, the incentive scene (minus freepay and the non-referral sites like everyfreegift) is dying. this is just trying to staunch the bleeding.

Wolfeman

22-11-2005 01:46:34

Thats so stupid. A lot of the trials are garbage and no one in their right minds would pay $70/month for a placebo weight loss pill. The trails that are good, I've kept. I've been using Netflix for like 8 months now because I signed up for a free trial. I would've never signed up if it wasn't for the site and now I really like it.

Daggoth

22-11-2005 05:18:24

This would encourage the use of prepaid CC...

Gigante

22-11-2005 06:50:52

[quote445b9c895a="Wolfeman"]Thats so stupid. A lot of the trials are garbage and no one in their right minds would pay $70/month for a placebo weight loss pill. The trails that are good, I've kept. I've been using Netflix for like 8 months now because I signed up for a free trial. I would've never signed up if it wasn't for the site and now I really like it.[/quote445b9c895a]

They aren't saying that you will have to remain on after the trial. They are saying that, if the item ships 2 days after you order, you can't call within those 2 days before it orders to cancel. You can still cancel 5 days later. Or at least this is how I understand it to be.

Wolfeman

22-11-2005 07:13:50

[quote0f3dd0b7c6]Customers purchasing CortiBan™ Ultra through an incentive web site (qualifying for, as an example, a Free IPOD® through a third party advertiser) and initiating a cancel before the initial product shipment has been received by the customer will incur a $49.95 program cancellation charge.[/quote0f3dd0b7c6]

That sounds to me like if you sign up through an incentive site and you cancel before the trial is up, you get charged $50. This will be the death blow to the incentive sites if everyone starts doing this...

ajrock2000

22-11-2005 07:17:52

Na, its only if you cancel before the [b02dab99f53]initial shipment.[/b02dab99f53]

Wolfeman

22-11-2005 07:22:34

AHHHHH, ok. Well fuck those people anyways D

ajrock2000

22-11-2005 07:33:25

I personally don't know how these weight loss companys make any profit and/or customers who stay with the program at all from advertising in the freebie scene...They pretty much rely on charging people anyway and spending $.10 to actually make their product. ?

theysayjump

22-11-2005 11:37:15

Yeah I agree. If the free sites would get leads/advertisers/offers that actually interest the majority of people in the freebie scene (16-25 year old males), then it would last a hell of a lot longer and the fraud on the offers would be cut dramatically.

Admin

22-11-2005 22:54:16

Okay. What are the majority of people in the freebie scene interested in?

eBay - frauded to death
Netflix, blockbuster - frauded to death for the most part (commissions are way lower than they used to be)
RealPlayer stuff - frauded to death, no longer free/cheap trials for the most part ($9.99 instead of $.99, etc)

No matter who the offer "appeals" to, its going to get the shit frauded out of it. Thats just the way incentivized marketing works and thats why they aren't here to last, at least in this way.

theysayjump

22-11-2005 23:19:33

The offers are going to get the shit frauded out of them no matter what it is, you're right, but wouldn't it make more sense to give offers that more people are interested in, therefor cutting down on fraud?

For every one person who has kept some shitty wrinkle cream, there are probably 5 who have kept RealRhapsody, Blockbuster, eBay, Video Professor and Netflix. I kept Blockbuster for months until I couldn't afford it, the same with RealRhapsody.

If we were given offers that we were ligitimately interested in or that might interest us, then there would be a higher percentage rate of people staying on past the trial.

To me, it seems (especially with smaller sites) as if the owners go for leads and advertisers who pay more and are easier to get, than ones that their members may be interested in and/or fraud less.

The only exception, to my knowledge, being FusionCash which has basically every kind of different offer and caters to shit loads of people.

Sidro

22-11-2005 23:26:45

Very important to have disclaimers!

Admin

23-11-2005 01:07:18

[quoted9223b85d6="theysayjump"]To me, it seems (especially with smaller sites) as if the owners go for leads and advertisers who pay more and are easier to get, than ones that their members may be interested in and/or fraud less.

The only exception, to my knowledge, being FusionCash which has basically every kind of different offer and caters to shit loads of people.[/quoted9223b85d6]

You pretty much nailed it.

I think that companies new to affiliate marketing do not realize the lengths people on incentive sites will go to in order to commit fraud.

Just because I talk to him and because I've done one of his sites, I'm going to use the example of kerms (owner of orderit4free, etc). In recent memory, I've seen two new high paying offers (Jeunesse and Lasertron - both paying something like [bd9223b85d6]$70[/bd9223b85d6] per lead) pop up and quickly get either pulled completely or changed to disallow incentivized traffic.

The basic problem with freesites other than Gratis is that they focus on the reward rather than the advertiser. I can't understand the view some site owners seem to hold (not talking about kerms specifically) that offers are just something to be done in order to get a gift. I try to bring to FusionCash the idea that I get paid when I cultivate and maintain a quality relationship with my advertisers. To that end, I try to focus on generating legitimate leads rather than flooding high payout offers with uninterested people. Freepay's success is thanks to
a) advertising outside of the "professional" freebie scene
b) careful verbage on offers
c) personal relationships with advertisers
You guys have probably noticed that there isn't a whole lot of FusionCash promotion on FiPG. Frankly, it's because the typical FiPG (especially forums) user is not the kind of user that's going to help me build good relationships with advertisers. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but that's the way it is.

theysayjump

23-11-2005 01:27:46

I understand, and the only/vast majority of people doing the smaller networks like Orer4Free, GetFriends, EarnFree, Giftfiesta, Lucky4Free are the "Professional" Freebiests.

There is little to no advertising done outside of this scene, which means a high completion rate of sites and a higher fraud percentage, which also means more sites have to pay out due to the high completion rate, but can't last much longer because their leads are being frauded, leading to lower pay-outs, leading to the collapse of the smaller networks.

The only sites who do advertise are Freepay (of course), Trainn and OC. OC are pretty much fucked with the "Pro's" after introducing the OOD, Freepay could probably go on forever and ever and ever (amen) and Trainn are the next Freepay, who can have a successful business inside the Freebie scene, but still get newbies outside of it also.

It will be a shame when it ends, but I honestly only see Freepay and maybe Trainn surviving. The rest......bite the dust. Maybe in a few years time, the whole scene will make a comeback, with new gifts, new leads, new sites and new users.

Unfortunately I don't see it lasting much longer, maybe another year, or is that too optimistic? shrug

Admin

23-11-2005 01:35:45

A month or two someone asked me for an estimate and I put it at 6 months. I think that was a little too short. 6-8months from now feels right.

aguy

23-11-2005 01:43:01

ive been thinking it will all come to an end shortly as well. To be honest, I do not see freepay dying anytime soon, way too much outside media and users. all other sites... very soon

theysayjump

23-11-2005 01:46:55

[quotefef854eca5="Admin"]A month or two someone asked me for an estimate and I put it at 6 months. I think that was a little too short. 6-8months from now feels right.[/quotefef854eca5]

Do you think that as long as there is a freebie scene, there will be a FiPG?

kdollar

23-11-2005 02:04:56

well remember that article.......about freepay being one of the new rich co. or something, they are makin bank, so if there is a small chance that another site could do that, people will try for that small chance of makin a lot of money, and there is where freebies will buy more time to exist.

Admin

23-11-2005 02:25:17

yes, but freebie sites dont exist without advertisers and affiliates. one of the bigger freebie site offer providers, cpaempire, is no longer accepting incentivized sites. many others are moving in that direction. unless the smaller sites start focusing on lead quality, freebie sites are going to be limited to freepay and the old players (yfdirect and metareward hosted ones) where lead quality is priority #1.