ipod dock question

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=26376

priggy

13-11-2005 21:13:12

Hey I'm about to get a 60GB video ipod and want to know which older accessories will work with it. I currently have a 20GB third generation ipod (the one with the four round buttons on the top that light up) and a dock for that. Can I use that dock with the new ipod or do I need that new (expensive) universal one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

cyberpunk243

13-11-2005 21:15:55

I heard that the new iPods charge by way of your computer. At least that is what my friend said when he got his iPod nano, that it didn't come with a charger, only a USB cable that hooks up to his computer and charges while it is plugged in.

priggy

13-11-2005 21:20:04

well thats what mine does right now. I have a dock witha little dock connector at the back, and I have a firewire cable which goes from that to my computer and both charges and syncs the ipod. I also have a little power brick which I can plug the firewire into which will also charge the ipod. Do you think that brick/firewire cable will work also? I'm more concerned about the dock but that would be cool too

cyberpunk243

13-11-2005 21:23:35

I am sure the connection cords will be universal, I don't see why not. I know that the powercord or whatever that someone posted for the new iPod looks a lot like my Powerbook adaptor. I am sure all Apple cords are adaptable to their products. Not 100% though, maybe look at some pics from google search of the inputs for the new video ipods and compare them to yours? I don't have an iPod and am awaiting approval for my video one so I can't compare them.

ilanbg

13-11-2005 22:24:48

The dock (the old one) won't charge the iPod, but it will make it sound significantly better.

Admin

13-11-2005 23:45:36

are you sure about that? they're all universal.

goofygarber

13-11-2005 23:55:39

I think the new ipod is wider, so it won't fit proper into a dock but it uses the same connection piece, so everything else backtracked should be fine.

Actually, I don't think, I just went over and checked and I'm right.

Admin

14-11-2005 00:22:50

i lose

hudgie

14-11-2005 05:49:03

The old dock connector is exactly the same. The only thing is, the 3G used Firewire to charge, the 5G uses USB. Well, technically, firewire will charge the 5G as well, but ti won't sync.

About the dock

The width is exactly the same. However, the shape of the 5G is slightly off, and it's thinner. Between those two facts, although you'll probably be able to prop the iPod into the old dock, it isn't recommended, because you can break the connector piece in the iPod, and it won't be covered in the warranty.

If you get some sort of stand to keep it exactly in place, then it shouldn't be a problem. People did this to use a mini in a regular dock (by taking the clip, flipping it upside down, thus holding it exactly in the right place.)

hudgie