Distortion Pedal

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=26031

drummer_kew_03

09-11-2005 01:21:30

My second question of the night. I've been playing the acoustic for awhile, but i'm kinda new to electrics. I'm wanting to get a nice distortion pedal for under $100. Anybody have some suggestions?

ltsmash2

09-11-2005 05:30:22

If you are looking to first start in pedals, I suggest a pedal that has lots of sounds (multieffects) and options at first to find out what you like. I first got a Zoom 505 II and really enjoyed it. Lots of sounds to play with. For a really heavy sound I use a MXR DD-11 Dime Distortion from Jim Dunlop (Dimebag Darrel producing sounds, about $140) for a tight aggressive sound. If I want something really full, I run an overdrive, reverb combo through my pre amp into my favorite amp on the internal distorted channel, my Marshall. Boss pedals and DOD are good ones as well. So basically there are a lot of things to consider when looking for a pedal. What type of guitar you have, pickups and amp all will change the way the sound will be. As I first stated, the best bet is to pick up a pedal that has a multieffects processer in it. It won't necessarily be the cleanest sound, but it allows the opportunity to find out what you like and what you are looking for and that way you can late purchase dedicated pedals to customize your rig.

tracemhunter

09-11-2005 06:16:23

when i played guitar i had a danelectro sitar swami. it was awesome.

Jake

09-11-2005 09:58:21

I used a Boss Metalzone back when I was a teenager and it served me pretty well.

srichter

09-11-2005 11:41:25

boss DS-1

Diablo NW

09-11-2005 13:35:49

I have a ibanez sm7 smash box and i love it. YOu can set it so u get no annoying feedback.

slease

09-11-2005 13:52:04

[quote41ff1cd8ec="srichter"]boss DS-1[/quote41ff1cd8ec]

Blech.

Get the metalzone, it'll give you many more settings than this fuzz box.

Or just get an amp with a nice distortion. Can't go wrong with a marshall or a mesa.

mistertomlinson

09-11-2005 13:57:26

I'd hate to sound like an amatuer musician (though, I happen to be the best in these parts... but ofcourse I am going to say that from the safety of my computer chair), but I highly suggest a multieffects processor as opposed to a distortion peday in general. They offer SEVERAL different types of distortion with, obviously, adjustable perimeters and tons of other really sweet sounding effects. Ebay is certainly the way to go! You can find plenty of used processors (if you're looking to give electrics a shot and don't NEED high end shit, you aren't looking to spend a lot of money and don't mind using someone's sloppy seconds) at cheap damn prices. I bought a DOD Multieffects processor they stopped making a while back for some reason and I was extremely pleased. It's not the fanciest thing in the world, but it will definitely do until I have 3 or 4 hundred dollars to spend on top of the line stuff... it even has an expression pedal (for wah shaping and what not). If I remember correctly, it only cost me $70 plus S and H! Keep in mind, you have access to SEVERAL different styles of distortion, tons of other effects AND an expression pedal... for that price, you can't go wrong.

slease

09-11-2005 14:15:51

[quoteba3b4427e0="mistertomlinson"]I'd hate to sound like an amatuer musician (though, I happen to be the best in these parts... but ofcourse I am going to say that from the safety of my computer chair), but I highly suggest a multieffects processor as opposed to a distortion peday in general. They offer SEVERAL different types of distortion with, obviously, adjustable perimeters and tons of other really sweet sounding effects. Ebay is certainly the way to go! You can find plenty of used processors (if you're looking to give electrics a shot and don't NEED high end shit, you aren't looking to spend a lot of money and don't mind using someone's sloppy seconds) at cheap damn prices. I bought a DOD Multieffects processor they stopped making a while back for some reason and I was extremely pleased. It's not the fanciest thing in the world, but it will definitely do until I have 3 or 4 hundred dollars to spend on top of the line stuff... it even has an expression pedal (for wah shaping and what not). If I remember correctly, it only cost me $70 plus S and H! Keep in mind, you have access to SEVERAL different styles of distortion, tons of other effects AND an expression pedal... for that price, you can't go wrong.[/quoteba3b4427e0]

The only reason I would suggest not buying a CHEAP multi effect processor is the fact that most of them are made of cheap plastic and given that you stomp on them, parts will eventually break. now if you buy a nicer one thats made of metal, then sure why not, the effects quality is fine for most applications.

drummer_kew_03

09-11-2005 16:21:55

I'll probably be picking something out and then asking for it for christmas. My family never knows what to get me so I have to tell them. Right now, I'm agreeing that a multieffects processor looks more what I want.

mistertomlinson

14-11-2005 14:54:48

Excellent choice, you won't be disapointed.