Know Anything About Wireless Networks?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=25831

theysayjump

06-11-2005 17:46:14

Because I don't......at least not enough to fix my problem anyway.

I got my Cyberpower a couple of days ago and set it up and installed my wireless adapter (linksys WMP54G) and installed the software (actually it says to start the CD installation, then power off, insert the adapter, power on and then continue the installation) but after it's finished installing, it can't connect to the wireless network even though it can see it. It has the name of the SSID, the signal strength, the stats, the details but it just cant connect to it.

But, I fucked about with something the other night and managed to get online, but that was after disabling the linksys wireless network monitor, and then enabling Windows Zero Configuration. Now that doesn't work at all.

I only have one monitor so I have to carry it from the main floor, up 2 flights of stairs and plug it into my Cyberpower and if I want to get back online I have to carry it all the way back downstairs again.

I've checked online at linksys troubleshooting but the issues I've tried resolving don't work either. There has to be something wrong somewhere since it can see the network and it's strength, it just can't access it.

I would have your children if you could help me......or maybe not......but i would be as grateful.....maybe some Karma or a free green or some paypal shrug

goofygarber

06-11-2005 17:48:37

All that good stuff just for help?
I've set up a few networks in my time, heres my experience.
Start clean. Put the card in your cyberpower, then restart. Then, insert the CD and do the basic install. Then, go into network places, then right click on the wireless icon and click properties. Find your way over to advanced, then click automatic everything.
Then, it works.

Or try repair?

CoMpFrEaK

06-11-2005 18:40:34

Try resetting everything. Including the router. Check if an ip is even assigned to your computer.

Do you mean that it dosent even connect?

If thats the case go into your routers control pannel. You can access it by connecting a computer using a cat5 cable to the router, and typing in

or

(Depends on your router)

Typical user name/password are admin/(empty) or all blanks.

Once entering it check your wireless settings. I'd advise setting everything to normal, no wep or anything, once you get it working you can add in the WEP security.

Try a 2nd computer if it still dosent work. If may be the routers wireless thats messed up.

goofygarber

06-11-2005 18:41:06

^^
Those are typical router IP's, but I've seen all kinds of crazy crap even for 801.11g

CoMpFrEaK

06-11-2005 18:45:52

[quote79660261b6="goofygarber"]^^
Those are typical router IP's, but I've seen all kinds of crazy crap even for 801.11g[/quote79660261b6]

He has a linksys, those are fairly typical

KeithA

06-11-2005 18:47:48

Try the Linksys live chat support. I just bought the same router you did for my girlfriend and they were extremely helpful in helping me get it configured for her iBook.

theysayjump

06-11-2005 19:10:28

[quote837dedf71b="goofygarber"]All that good stuff just for help?
I've set up a few networks in my time, heres my experience.
Start clean. Put the card in your cyberpower, then restart. Then, insert the CD and do the basic install. Then, go into network places, then right click on the wireless icon and click properties. Find your way over to advanced, then click automatic everything.
Then, it works.

Or try repair?[/quote837dedf71b]

See that's the thing, I tried going into Network Places (like it said in the troubleshooting) and right clicking on the Wireless icon but there is no wireless icon. It came with XP home and then I put XP Pro on and it didn't work or the wireless icon show up, then I put XP Home back on and it still isn't there.

[quote837dedf71b="CoMpFrEaK"]Try resetting everything. Including the router. Check if an ip is even assigned to your computer.

Do you mean that it dosent even connect?

If thats the case go into your routers control pannel. You can access it by connecting a computer using a cat5 cable to the router, and typing in

or

(Depends on your router)

Typical user name/password are admin/(empty) or all blanks.

Once entering it check your wireless settings. I'd advise setting everything to normal, no wep or anything, once you get it working you can add in the WEP security.

Try a 2nd computer if it still dosent work. If may be the routers wireless thats messed up.[/quote837dedf71b]

I think the only thing I haven't done is to try resetting everything. At which point should I do that? If I start from scratch again (take out the card, uninstall it and the drivers etc) when should I reset everything?

I couldn't find an IP but on the one chance I did manage to get online (don't ask how because I don't know) I fucked it up and it didn't work again. I tried ipconfig /all but the command prompt open and closed instantly and I couldn't see anything.

I have 2 computers besides the Cyberpower. Both have XP Pro SP2. One is connected to a cable modem which is connected to a wireless router. The other has the same wireless adapter in it that I have in my Cyberpower. It connects to the internet wirelessly through the wireless router and it's fine.

I checked my router settings and couldn't find anything that would be stopping it connecting except maybe MAC address filtering which I disabled but still didn't work?

I did notice that the Linksys Wireless Network Monitor (the little green icon that lets me connect to a certain network or change settings etc) is version 4.3 on the Cyberpower, but version 4.0 on the working wireless computer. Would that make a difference?

I think I might just do that KeithA thanks D

RocLaFamilia

06-11-2005 19:32:18

i have never used a linksys wireless router but i have setup many networks for friends and family....i always had problems with security or the MAC addresses alowed....try to clone the mac address to the router of ur pc..that jus might work...

doylnea

06-11-2005 20:56:45

[quotea78e864209="theysayjump"]See that's the thing, I tried going into Network Places (like it said in the troubleshooting) and right clicking on the Wireless icon but there is no wireless icon. It came with XP home and then I put XP Pro on and it didn't work or the wireless icon show up, then I put XP Home back on and it still isn't there.[/quotea78e864209]

This is important...This suggests to me that the card isn't installed correctly if the wireless icon isn't showing up. If you've got Pro, right click on My Computer (either on the desktop in Classic view, or near the top of the Start menu in XP Bloated version) and click on Properties and then choose the Hardware tab, then Device Manager, and look under Network Adapters. You should see the wired Ethernet Adapter (something like Intel blah blah blah) and the Linksys one listed. If not, or if you've got a yellow exclamation point, the adapter wasn't installed correctly.

Now, if the card is listed, you can update the driver from there - right click and choose update driver. Put the CD in the drive and point the search tool to the CD and let it do it's thing.

[quotea78e864209]I think the only thing I haven't done is to try resetting everything. At which point should I do that? If I start from scratch again (take out the card, uninstall it and the drivers etc) when should I reset everything?[/quotea78e864209]

If installing / updating the driver didn't work. Go to Add/Remove and remove all the Linksys software and shut down the PC. Install the card and turn the PC on. You'll be asked for drivers (or more likely XP already has them) and let the card install. You don't really need the Linksys software, the Windows version is fine if you've got your router within a couple hundred feet.

[quotea78e864209]I couldn't find an IP but on the one chance I did manage to get online (don't ask how because I don't know) I fucked it up and it didn't work again. I tried ipconfig /all but the command prompt open and closed instantly and I couldn't see anything.[/quotea78e864209]
Now, using XP, you need to type CMD into the Run prompt to get a Dos Prompt then type the ipconfig /all and you'll be able to tell whether the card is getting an IP.

[quotea78e864209]I have 2 computers besides the Cyberpower. Both have XP Pro SP2. One is connected to a cable modem which is connected to a wireless router. The other has the same wireless adapter in it that I have in my Cyberpower. It connects to the internet wirelessly through the wireless router and it's fine.

I checked my router settings and couldn't find anything that would be stopping it connecting except maybe MAC address filtering which I disabled but still didn't work?[/quotea78e864209]

None of this should matter.

[quotea78e864209]I did notice that the Linksys Wireless Network Monitor (the little green icon that lets me connect to a certain network or change settings etc) is version 4.3 on the Cyberpower, but version 4.0 on the working wireless computer. Would that make a difference?[/quotea78e864209]

Unlikely, the 4.3 is newer than the working one. You could of course update the software on the working one to test, but I'd recommend against that. Catch me online if you need help. I'd be happy to help you out - you've got my AIM.

theysayjump

07-11-2005 02:03:58

Wow, thanks for the help doylnea! I got it working before I got a chance to read your post and I don't know how this time either. Either way I managed to get online and stay online.......but, now I have a little more serious problem........

kyks17

07-11-2005 15:07:35

what's the more serious problem?

johnjimjones

07-11-2005 15:11:27

What type of router are you using?
I've used this linksys system a lot, but despite its problems its been well worth it in speed.

theysayjump

07-11-2005 16:05:22

[quote089d476ac4="kyks17"]what's the more serious problem?[/quote089d476ac4]

The more serious problem was the one I posted about Virus' (