Doing a site for a "friend"

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=25002

lalalala

25-10-2005 04:32:18

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but it seems rather prevalant here right now.

If you are going to be doing a site for a "friend" (I use it in quotations as a way of including brother, cousin, school bully etc.) should trade rules apply in terms of who goes first?

Why can't this "friend" just sign up in the first place so there is no middle man?

Thoughts?

KeithA

25-10-2005 05:32:06

[quote106aff5005="lalalala"]I'm sure this has been discussed before, but it seems rather prevalant here right now.

If you are going to be doing a site for a "friend" (I use it in quotations as a way of including brother, cousin, school bully etc.) should trade rules apply in terms of who goes first?

Why can't this "friend" just sign up in the first place so there is no middle man?

Thoughts?[/quote106aff5005]

I stopped participating in these trades a month or so ago. The reason is that, invariably, the "friend" was out of contact or otherwise undependable.

A "friend" without an account at FIPG does NOT have an established trade record, and I consider leveraging your own established trade record on behalf of an unestablished trader to be misleading. However, since the rules don't explicitly address the situation, I would encourage anyone with concerns to deal with these situations carefully.

tracemhunter

25-10-2005 05:54:49

yea i dont do trades with anybody who's "friend" is doing it. it just leads to bad things.

goofygarber

25-10-2005 07:11:43

rofl. I'm not sure whats going on here; with the 'friends' and all but I've always helped my buds out if they needed refferals on the sites they started up under me (which is all of them, I have my ref links in my IM profile thats where all my greens come from)

I don't care who 'goes first' becuase I know I can just talk to them if they don't deliver.

kevxross

25-10-2005 08:16:47

He's talking about using your friend to do trades on here. In other words, "my friend will green on your freeipods if you green on my freepsps, but you have to go first since my TR is higher."

I say it's up to the individuals involved in the trade. When I get these offers I say "I'll do it, but 'your friend' must go first." Often times they'll get offended because their precious TR is higher and that's the end of it.

KeithA

25-10-2005 08:20:25

[quote310f10c6b4="kevxross"]I say it's up to the individuals involved in the trade. When I get these offers I say "I'll do it, but 'your friend' must go first." Often times they'll get offended because their precious TR is higher and that's the end of it.[/quote310f10c6b4]

They usually get offended when I tell them that too.

Although I word it a little differently. I say, "Well what's your friend's trade record, bitch?"

kevxross

25-10-2005 08:32:22

[quote83d0448a66="KeithA"][quote83d0448a66="kevxross"]I say it's up to the individuals involved in the trade. When I get these offers I say "I'll do it, but 'your friend' must go first." Often times they'll get offended because their precious TR is higher and that's the end of it.[/quote83d0448a66]

They usually get offended when I tell them that too.

Although I word it a little differently. I say, "Well what's your friend's trade record, bitch?"[/quote83d0448a66]

I can't imagine why they would possibly get offended P

damac

25-10-2005 10:34:03

i started doing these because i have seen others here do it and its not against the tos of sites.

i guess i can see it from both sides. bottom line for me though is if i setup a trade and use my tr record like other people do, im vouching for them and responsible for my end just like any other trade.

you just need to not put up with bullshit and those people telling you their friend can't do this or that or is taking too much time. treat it the same way you would around here with normal trades.

KeithA

25-10-2005 10:36:24

[quoted67f551361="damac"]you just need to not put up with bullshit and those people telling you their friend can't do this or that or is taking too much time. treat it the same way you would around here with normal trades.[/quoted67f551361]

I hear that side of it. But for me, personally, the ratio of trades that involved friends to trades that involved bullshit was way too high--almost 11--so I stopped doing it.

damac

25-10-2005 10:47:40

its funny you say that because i have actually had this problem at a high rate like you when dealing with others. delays, or not being able to do a site we made a trade for already.

i prepaid a guy with 40 feedback on a4free 4 months ago like $42 for an allthis4free rep and he put me off for 3 before vanishing, lol.

so you are right it can suck very badly, and i know it burns when its a supposed respected trader around here, putting you off all the time, when they are fucking flying on their own accounts and finishing them left and right. they know the fucking deal (

for me i just keep on going and try and move on from bullshit. i have been ripped for hundreds of $$$ paypal now and probably a couple dozen trades. if i eventually get a gift it just has to absorb the loss.

KeithA

25-10-2005 10:56:26

Yes, it definitely sucks. I've been thinking a lot about ways to reduce this sort of scamming. Unfortunately, I got no programming skillz. So I guess I need to find a partner and a way to commercialize my ideas before anything changes.

xXHasek99

25-10-2005 12:28:54

the 'friend' is doing it thru you, if you don't trust ur friend, don't get him involved, if you do, then you should take FULL responsibility for his actions.

LucaBella

26-10-2005 23:26:42

Friend = the person. If neither of them greens properly, and ignore messages, then both of them are scammers, and they should be reported.

I just put a post today about getting my friend to do sites, and you can be damned sure liIli was over her house sitting on the couch watching her do the trades because they are ultimately my responsibility.

if anyone's "friend" screws you, the trader screwed you too. Attack!