Noob to HDTV, burn in?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=24277

tpham2006

15-10-2005 11:05:45

I'm planning on getting a rear projection HDTV in the next couple weeks. The problem I keep hearing is burn-in. I know it's caused by a still image being display on the screen for too long of a period. I know you can reduce the chances of getting it by lowering contrast/brightness.

Now, the part I don't get is that I read on an article about it and it says not to leave any still image on it EVER, including logos such as MSNBC. Now, does that mean that watching the NBA where the scorebox will leave burn in? Playing FPS games, the crosshair will cause burn in? Playing RPG, the stats/health meter will leave burn in?

Every game has a menu/stats display that will be on there until you turn the game off, does this mean rear projection is not inteded for gaming?

What other type of HDTV are there besides LCD and plasma?

hehehhehe

15-10-2005 11:49:59

Burn in is just a problem with plasmas, and the newer plasmas might have something called pixel orbiter, which prevents burn-in. But yeah, you're not supposed to leave stuff like CNN and other channels with tickers for too long on plasmas. Same with sports and especially games where there is always some health meter ot score displayed.

If your rear projection is lcd or dlp don't worry about it.

goofygarber

15-10-2005 11:51:25

DLP is bomb, it produces the best picture I've ever seen but its bulky and heavy

tpham2006

15-10-2005 12:01:08

but I've heard a lot of issue with DLP lagging on games from the AVS forums.

People keep saying don't leave it on for extende period of time, but what is an "extended" or "long time"? 1hour? 2hour? 3hour? If you'll get burn in playing a game with static images for 3 hours, I might as well save up and buy an LCD (

Peinecone

15-10-2005 14:09:47

Here is what CNet says about burn-in

[quote54f5776465]You may have heard that plasma has a couple of drawbacks. One such downside is called burn-in, which occurs when an image--such as a stock ticker, a network logo, or letterbox bars--gets etched permanently onto the screen because it sits in one place too long. In our experience, the danger of burn-in has been greatly exaggerated, and people with normal viewing habits have nothing to worry about. The potential for burn-in is greatest during the first 100 or so hours of use, during which time you should keep contrast rather low (less than 50 percent) and avoid showing static images or letterbox bars on the screen for hours at a time. After this initial phase, plasma should be as durable as any television technology. Many panels also have burn-in-reduction features, such as screensavers and pixel orbiting, or settings to treat burn-in once it occurs, such as causing the screen to go all-white.[/quote54f5776465]

dudeextrem2000

16-10-2005 13:33:40

i think ill stick w/ my 13" tv......

jk

xXHasek99

16-10-2005 14:27:42

[quote567537d56f="Peinecone"]Here is what CNet says about burn-in

[quote567537d56f]You may have heard that plasma has a couple of drawbacks. One such downside is called burn-in, which occurs when an image--such as a stock ticker, a network logo, or letterbox bars--gets etched permanently onto the screen because it sits in one place too long. In our experience, the danger of burn-in has been greatly exaggerated, and people with normal viewing habits have nothing to worry about. The potential for burn-in is greatest during the first 100 or so hours of use, during which time you should keep contrast rather low (less than 50 percent) and avoid showing static images or letterbox bars on the screen for hours at a time. After this initial phase, plasma should be as durable as any television technology. Many panels also have burn-in-reduction features, such as screensavers and pixel orbiting, or settings to treat burn-in once it occurs, such as causing the screen to go all-white.[/quote567537d56f][/quote567537d56f]

that doesn't sound so hard to do... 100 hours is not that much... you can even turn some dvd movie on and play it for 100 hours...