Any marketing majors?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=23967

phoebe7

12-10-2005 10:20:17

I'm working on a marketing presentation for my class. We have to define the Total Market for all potential customers of our product category. Not just our product.

Our product we chose is the Dell Inspiron 600M.

What do you think the Total Market would be?

ex Nike = shoes market.

Do you think it's like Computer Market, Mobile Computer market, etc?? It can't be too broad.

Any help is appreciated! )

freedesktoppc

12-10-2005 10:51:15

[quote465faf7056="phoebe7"]I'm working on a marketing presentation for my class. We have to define the Total Market for all potential customers of our product category. Not just our product.

Our product we chose is the Dell Inspiron 600M.

What do you think the Total Market would be?

ex Nike = shoes market.

Do you think it's like Computer Market, Mobile Computer market, etc?? It can't be too broad.

Any help is appreciated! )[/quote465faf7056]

I am not a marketing a guy, but I remember taking the class, so I'll try and help you out. The "m" in the 600m is most likely meant to make the customer think that it is more capable of being mobile than the other models. By looking at the specs, it is not that light, and the specs are nothing special, as opposed to the 700m which is very light, and an amazing screen. Therefore, you can assume dell is trying to reach the mid-low level "mobile" market, and you can comp it to similar products of that level from hp, gateway, etc.

dug1200

12-10-2005 11:34:42

well i was an advertising/marketing major in college. i believe that the total market is the computer market not just the mobile computer market. more and more people are buying laptops instead of tower pc for their homes for the size factor...it takes up less space in addition to being mobile. take it from room to room especially with the wireless card

the inspiron is the entry level laptop for dell. it isnt that customizable and it is a little heavy...if you were talking about an IBM thinkpad, that would def be for mobile computer users

Fugger

12-10-2005 12:03:56

I work in a medical clinic and we use laptops for a two mobile spirometry reading stations. The unit consist of the laptop, a PCMCIA card and a tube patients blow into. The entire unit is on a cart that is wheeled around... So, despite the heavier weight, this would be an ideal laptop for us (generally speaking) for this purpose as it is more mobile than a desktop. And the weight is not an issue because it is on a cart...

I don't know if any of that helps you on any level, but at least I told someone.

phoebe7

12-10-2005 12:59:02

Thanks everyone for your input! I'm meeting with my group tonight to work on the presentation. Hopefully it goes well next week.

dug1200

12-10-2005 13:19:12

good luck....oh and on Nov 7th when AD returns...2 new episodes back to back...spoilers at futoncritic.com and the-op.com

phoebe7

12-10-2005 13:24:06

[quote30a26ee517="dug1200"]good luck....oh and on Nov 7th when AD returns...2 new episodes back to back...spoilers at futoncritic.com and the-op.com[/quote30a26ee517]

Awesome! )

FreeOffersNow

12-10-2005 13:52:35

Total market includes all product categories. Thus, the total market is ANY consumer "in the market for" a computer...whether it be a desktop, laptop, etc.

Were you to break it down beyond that Total Market > Market Sector > Product Category > Product Line > Product

Be careful, though, as different professors have different philosophies. PM me if you have any questions...