Usenet tutorial, and information

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=23546

Allen626

05-10-2005 11:44:17

Some of you may have heard of usenet before, and here is a quick explanation.

I have used Usenet for about 6 months now. Usenet is also known as Newsgroups, or Newserver. You probaly have one with your ISP, but it only carries txt files, or discussion.

Usenet has been around forever, and recently (past 2-3 years) it has hit a big boom with binaries, and ease of use. Binaries are basically compiled files, and often used as full files, such as .exeurl==http://=http:///url .mp3url==http://=http:///url .mpegurl==http://=http:///url .jpgurl==http://=http:///url etc...

What usenet is is a group of servers that synch together to retain the same information all the time, all usenet servers that host the same group that sync right should have the same information. Some have differant retention, but my usenet server is 21days which is fairly good.

OK, why you should get usenet.

Usenet has virtually every single MP3, Video, Games everything you need. And you dont have to upload or download anything, it is as fast as your internet can go speed wise. I have seen people get 5mB/s. 5mB/s is so fast that you can download a full video in 10mins.

These are the tools you need, and yes it will cost you money. A little less then [b41dc0cf97d]16$[/b41dc0cf97d] a month.

A usenet provider
NewsHosting is one[=http//www.newshosting.com/]NewsHosting is one
UseNetServer is another[=http//www.usenetserver.com/]UseNetServer is another
A NZB file site
Newzbin[=http//newzbin.com/]Newzbin, the best one. It costs 50c a week, and that is about what it costs to maintain the site.

A newsgroup program
Newsrover is a good FREE one[=http//www.newsrover.com/]Newsrover is a good FREE one but I prefer Newsleecher, you can download that off usenet once you get it set up.

Quickpar for files that are corrupt on Newsgroups
Quickpar[=http//www.quickpar.org.uk/Download.htm]Quickpar

Basically you just search for the files you want after you sign up for newzbin on newzbin. You thing click on the link and hit "Get message headers", it will open up your newsgroup program and download it from there. After you are done downloading it you open the .par2url==http://=http:///url file with quickpar and see if any files are corrupt. If they are not you just extract, and are done.

If you guys have any questions, msg me back on this forum or just PM me. I have just signed up under Newshosting affialate and im trying to recruit some people, I had the choice between 50% one time bonus, or 10% recurring bonus for every month. And I chose the 10% recurring because I am sure you guys will keep it after you see how utterly awsome usenet really is.

[edit by admin to remove referral link and mention a better provider]

PM me if you find it useful, and want to use my reflink.

Admin

05-10-2005 11:53:11

Is there something ambiguous about
[quote6343434f9a]
No referral links at all. This any type of referral link for any site, posted anywhere, INCLUDING YOR SIGNATURE, or sent via email or PM. This is a zero-tolerance policy--you WILL be banned. Spam your link elsewhere.
[/quote6343434f9a]

Allen626

05-10-2005 11:56:28

lol, archon did it and I even reported the post and noone gave a shit about it so I thought noone would care on this either.

Newshosting is what most people use, I have never used usenetserver.com. But if you look at the message headers it originates from newshosting.com, or giganews.com Giganews is the best, but it is 25$ a month and \ to that.

PM me if you find the post helpful, and want the ref link.

Cash4Cookies

05-10-2005 12:10:51

Usenet is great! Now someone explain to me how PAR2 files work... I am more curious about how those damn files work than the meaning of life. Yet, I dont care enough to type, www.google.com, errr...again.

Allen626

05-10-2005 12:19:38

Stands for parity, here is a super simple way

The parity of the bitstream 10111101 is even (there are 6 '1' bits). The parity bit will be 0.

The parity of the bitstream 01110011 is odd (there are 5 '1' bits). The parity bit will be 1.

The parity of the bitstream 00000000 is even (zero is taken to be even). The parity bit will be 0. The parity of a null or non-existent bitstream, also with zero '1' bits, is also 0.

Simple error correction

Parity bits are mainly used as a very simple form of redundancy check. A single parity bit can detect the alteration of any odd number of bits (including the most common case of one bit), but cannot detect the alteration of an even number of bits. Nor does it include enough information to correct any error.

from wikipedia, http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parity_%28telecommunication%29

Im not super sure how Par2s work, but that is how simple parity works.

hehehhehe

05-10-2005 12:31:26

[quote146b24176d="Admin"]
[edit by admin to remove referral link and mention a better provider][/quote146b24176d]
Just curious... which one did you consider to be the better provider?

I use usenet a lot, but I am usually hush hush about it. The less attention it gets, the better. When I saw this post I thought WTF, but I guess someone wanted some referrals...

Allen626

05-10-2005 12:38:28

He thinks usenetserver.com is the better one, I like newshosting.com better.

Admin

05-10-2005 12:43:38

Parity files are used to reconstruct data. I'll explain how they work using a simple example.

Lets say I want to post a set of 3 files. We'll call them a, b, and c.
For the sake of this example, lets say
file a contains the number 1.
file b contains the number 2.
file c contains the number 3.

Using this information and some basic math, I can create a new file, we'll call it x.
x = a + b + c
x = 1 + 2 + 3
x = 6

I can make a post on Usenet with my files a, b, c, and x. I let people know that x is my parity file. Now, lets say that while I was uploading c, something failed, so only a, b, and x are complete on the server. Someone downloading can reconstruct c using the parity file.

He knows that
a + b + c = x
He also knows
a = 1, b = 2, c = ?, x = 6
Using basic math once again,
1 + 2 + c = 6
We can subtract (1 + 2) from both sides
c = 6 - (1 + 2)
c = 3
Now we've got a full set a, b and c.

The actual process is incredibly complex and full of algorithms to optimize size and speed, but the idea is essentially the same.

Cash4Cookies

05-10-2005 12:51:07

ahhh, i sorta understand now. Its just crazy that I can have 47 out of 50 files, and not even have 3 whole files. Run a program and in 3 minutes I have 3 files that were just made out of no where. Crazy, thanks for clearing that up man.

hehehhehe

05-10-2005 12:56:02

[quote325fc56411="Allen626"]He thinks usenetserver.com is the better one, I like newshosting.com better.[/quote325fc56411]
I think they're about the same. I had UNS for a long time but just switched to NH since UNS lost a bunch of data and I was nearing the end of my billing cycle. They both have their hiccups but most people seem to like NH better.

Fugger

05-10-2005 12:56:20

[quote8d29b75e1e="Cash4Cookies"]ahhh, i sorta understand now. Its just crazy that I can have 47 out of 50 files, and not even have 3 whole files. Run a program and in 3 minutes I have 3 files that were just made out of no where. Crazy, thanks for clearing that up man.[/quote8d29b75e1e]

It's amazing how that internet works, ain't it?

Admin, good job explaining it.

Allen626

05-10-2005 13:05:08

[quoteb9f5e367c7="Fugger"][quoteb9f5e367c7="Cash4Cookies"]ahhh, i sorta understand now. Its just crazy that I can have 47 out of 50 files, and not even have 3 whole files. Run a program and in 3 minutes I have 3 files that were just made out of no where. Crazy, thanks for clearing that up man.[/quoteb9f5e367c7]

It's amazing how that internet works, ain't it?

Admin, good job explaining it.[/quoteb9f5e367c7]

Oh god I took Cisco training, and that is just entry level networking and it is so awe-some how routers work and work together. That many computers sending data successfully through routers is just like 0_o.

tracemhunter

05-10-2005 13:07:40

i use usenetserver. will probably switch to newshosting after this 3month segment ends. par2's recover rar files that may be corrupt when downloaded, so you dont have to redownload the whole rar.

Stroid

05-10-2005 13:14:40

[quote42e87c49d1="Allen626"]lol, archon did it and I even reported the post and noone gave a shit about it so I thought noone would care on this either.[/quote42e87c49d1] This really pisses me off you know the rules here dont do that again your not some noob.

Cash4Cookies

05-10-2005 13:16:30

yeah, tis crazy. I am currently using Verizon's usenet servers, which are good, but I dont have access to some of the big dump newsgroups. I like it because its free, and I download at about 1500kbs.

good2speed

05-10-2005 15:10:35

[quote76ee7deefd="hehehhehe"][quote76ee7deefd="Admin"]
[edit by admin to remove referral link and mention a better provider][/quote76ee7deefd]
Just curious... which one did you consider to be the better provider?

I use usenet a lot, but I am usually hush hush about it. The less attention it gets, the better. When I saw this post I thought WTF, but I guess someone wanted some referrals...[/quote76ee7deefd]

LOL @ MR work experience keeping usenet on the hush hush like people dont know about it.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

hehehhehe

05-10-2005 15:19:15

[quoteb5b0409acb="good2speed"]LOL @ MR work experience keeping usenet on the hush hush like people dont know about it.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol[/quoteb5b0409acb]
roll
Look, I'm sorry I made a fool out of you a while back because you didn't have any idea what you were talking about. If you want to prove that you do, go ahead and bump that old thread about outsourcing and support your arguments. Otherwise, stop being so pathetic. You're just making a fool out of yourself (yet again lol).

As for usenet, ask someone that has a life (not on online forums, but real life), and chances are, they won't know about usenet. Some may have heard of it (as evidenced here) but they won't know much about it. Not all of us spend a lot of time downloading stuff.

good2speed

06-10-2005 08:10:41

[quote2ac081c43f="hehehhehe"][quote2ac081c43f="good2speed"]LOL @ MR work experience keeping usenet on the hush hush like people dont know about it.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol[/quote2ac081c43f]
roll
Look, I'm sorry I made a fool out of you a while back because you didn't have any idea what you were talking about. If you want to prove that you do, go ahead and bump that old thread about outsourcing and support your arguments. Otherwise, stop being so pathetic. You're just making a fool out of yourself (yet again lol).

As for usenet, ask someone that has a life (not on online forums, but real life),[/color2ac081c43f] and chances are, they won't know about usenet. Some may have heard of it (as evidenced here) but they won't know much about it. Not all of us spend a lot of time downloading stuff.[/quote2ac081c43f]

you mean someone other than yourself. Glad you finally admit to not having a life.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

and please go find me a dozen mom and pop shops that outsource. For everyone that you do I'll find 20 big multinat'l corporations.

Fugger

06-10-2005 08:31:16

[quote1b5cd14b9e="Allen626"]...Cisco...[/quote1b5cd14b9e]

That's all you needed to say to me, I love you now.

hehehhehe

06-10-2005 09:47:18

[quote3aaeb4500e="good2speed"]you mean someone other than yourself. Glad you finally admit to not having a life.

and please go find me a dozen mom and pop shops that outsource. For everyone that you do I'll find 20 big multinat'l corporations.[/quote3aaeb4500e]
Well, we're both here and know about usenet so yeah, I guess we don't have a life. And please stop using dozens of smilies to attempt to compensate for your lack of wit. It's just annoying.

Google small businesses (I guess what you keep calling mom and pop) and outsourcing and see everything you come up with. Outsourcing is everywhere, and with every post you prove your ignorance on the matter. Right now I work for a financial services boutique and we have less than 20 people in the office. We outsource to India to do data entry, as a lot of companies do. Just abandon your misconception that only large companies outsource (effectively or ineffectively, doesn't matter) and quit posting about it. You're just showing people what a dumbass you are.

good2speed

06-10-2005 10:30:25

[quotea513204a37="hehehhehe"][quotea513204a37="good2speed"]you mean someone other than yourself. Glad you finally admit to not having a life.

and please go find me a dozen mom and pop shops that outsource. For everyone that you do I'll find 20 big multinat'l corporations.[/quotea513204a37]
Well, we're both here and know about usenet so yeah, I guess we don't have a life. And please stop using dozens of smilies to attempt to compensate for your lack of wit. It's just annoying.

Google small businesses (I guess what you keep calling mom and pop) and outsourcing and see everything you come up with. Outsourcing is everywhere, and with every post you prove your ignorance on the matter. Right now I work for a financial services boutique and we have less than 20 people in the office. We outsource to India to do data entry, as a lot of companies do. Just abandon your misconception that only large companies outsource (effectively or ineffectively, doesn't matter) and quit posting about it. You're just showing people what a dumbass you are.[/quotea513204a37]

Speak for yourself. I have a life while you do not.

So your telling me your exaggerated claim of having more work experience actually involves a financial services boutique with less than 20 employees.. Hahahaha.

Sorry about the redundancy of my smilies but I just cant stop laughing at you

hehehhehe

06-10-2005 10:53:47

[quote14f8d5f06b="good2speed"]Speak for yourself. I have a life while you do not.

So your telling me your exaggerated claim of having more work experience actually involves a financial services boutique with less than 20 employees.. Hahahaha.

Sorry about the redundancy of my smilies but I just cant stop laughing at you[/quote14f8d5f06b]
Ok, so... how's that supporting your argument? As for having a life, you post more than I do here, and you obviously care more about what people think here than I do. Proof is that you came 'stalking' me in this wholly unrelated thread about 2 weeks after some disagreement on another topic. Anyone can see that. You are pathetic enough to stalk me, and I'm supposed to feel bad lol?

I've also worked at a huge financial services firm with over 70k people. So what? Again, you prove how little you know about business/work. A lot of people make better money at smaller firms. As far as 'claims' of work experience go, it doesn't really matter. We can both make up shit, but it's obvious from our posts who knows what. If you want me to be a 10-yr manager at BK, so be it. I still have a better clue than you do.

Just stop wasting both of our times, you aren't getting anywhere. You don't even know how to flame well, and I've had enough of your kiddie bullshit. Thanks.

good2speed

06-10-2005 11:05:23

[quoted365ba757f="hehehhehe"]Ok, so... how's that supporting your argument? As for having a life, you post more than I do here, and you obviously care more about what people think here than I do. Proof is that you came 'stalking' me in this wholly unrelated thread about 2 weeks after some disagreement on another topic. Anyone can see that. You are pathetic enough to stalk me, and I'm supposed to feel bad lol?

I've also worked at a huge financial services firm with over 70k people. [/colord365ba757f]So what? Again, you prove how little you know about business/work. A lot of people make better money at smaller firms. As far as 'claims' of work experience go, it doesn't really matter. We can both make up shit, but it's obvious from our posts who knows what. If you want me to be a 10-yr manager at BK, so be it. I still have a better clue than you do[/colord365ba757f].

Just stop wasting both of our times, you aren't getting anywhere. You don't even know how to flame well, and I've had enough of your kiddie bullshit. Thanks.[/quoted365ba757f]

So you worked with a global company with over 70 k employees. Too bad you were the janitor.

And I dont want you to be a BK manager for 10 years. It is what you are. You wanted it that way, otherwise you wouldve chosen a different profession.

oh and your not welcome

hehehhehe

06-10-2005 11:12:11

Huh? Like I said, kiddie bullshit lol. Wouldn't you say a promotion from janitor to a BK manager is quite impressive? Do you want to make mom jokes next?

[quote7809f0c960="good2speed"]oh and your not welcome[/quote7809f0c960]
Wow, you really got me with that one. (BTW it's 'you're' not your, you jet setting business executive)

good2speed

06-10-2005 11:16:20

[quotedc499d1a60="hehehhehe"]Huh? Like I said, kiddie bullshit lol. Wouldn't you say a promotion from janitor to a BK manager is quite impressive? Do you want to make mom jokes next?[/quotedc499d1a60]

not really that impressive.

and you seem to care plenty since your editing your original quote.

theysayjump

14-11-2005 02:37:43

In response to this post http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?p=248305#248305

[quote98c550b51b="Allen626"]Usenet is what I use, you have to pay though. I have been in the warez scene for a long time, started out on IRC and have done everythign from mIRC, eDonkey, Torrent, Bearshare, Kazaa, Napster, Direct Connect, FTP, USPS bookrate mail ;) (trades), and finally Usenet. Usenet is by far the easiest to use and get information but it comes at a cost of 16$ a month. Here is a guide I posted

http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=23546

If you would like to sign up for a server PM me and I can give you my ref link. I earn like 1$ for every month you pay ).[/quote98c550b51b]

Thanks Allen626, you got me into Newsgroups now. 8) I'm not entirely sure how I will fit them into my busy chedule, but I think I could maybe fit them in between 3pm Nothing, and 5am Fuck all.

I paid $3 for a 3 day subscription to UsenetServer.com to try it out, and I paid $3.60 for 8 weeks on NewzBin.com. I used NewsRover and it seems to do the job pretty well but it's still on the free trial because that bitch costs $30 so I want to make sure I definitely want to keep it. I downloaded a few things just to try to get the hang of the whole thing, and an entire Muse album would have taken maybe 15 minutes I think. Pretty sweet.

I spent the whole night reading up on Newsgroups, Newsreaders, how to fix missing files by reading the binary and PAR & PAR2 files, NZB files, retention, YENC and joining split files together and all that good shit. Now I just need to get used to it.

Thanks though D

audiolife

14-11-2005 09:52:48

i have downloaded and tried out usenext (usenext.com) program, its kinda eMule but on usenet network..it worked to me, does it mean, my ISP provides usenet?