Trade

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=23357

stackmjwiz

02-10-2005 14:11:28

Say two parties agree to a trade. The person who wants the site done then suddenly says "I got a higher offer". Is he allowed to break the previous agreement and trade with the guy that offered more?

KeithA

02-10-2005 14:12:44

[quotefac82089f9="stackmjwiz"]Say two parties agree to a trade. The person who wants the site done then suddenly says "I got a higher offer". Is he allowed to break the previous agreement and trade with the guy that offered more?[/quotefac82089f9]

If the original trade has been confirmed in the trade module, I would say that no, the trade cannot be abandoned on account of one person receiving a higher offer.

I don't know whether this has been documented in the rules, however.

kevxross

02-10-2005 14:13:29

Assuming neither party has greened/payed/performed sexual favor then I'd say there's no problem with taking a better offer..

tpham2006

02-10-2005 14:17:13

[quoteef64db11c5="kevxross"]Assuming neither party has greened/payed/performed sexual favor then I'd say there's no problem with taking a better offer..[/quoteef64db11c5]

I agree, you already signed up for him, there is no harm in refusing the trade.

good2speed

02-10-2005 14:17:47

If its on this site and a trade is setup in the trade module and is confirmed then the trade must be completed. If a trade is initiated but is not confirmed then a party can back off. If its confirmed then the trade is binding and a user cant decide to take a better offer.

Retro

02-10-2005 14:19:22

[quote977d10e79a="kevxross"]Assuming neither party has greened/payed/performed sexual favor then I'd say there's no problem with taking a better offer..[/quote977d10e79a]

I agree. As long as nobody signed up for anything or paid anything I think it's fine that they back out.

Retro

02-10-2005 14:20:18

[quote09117b9aa4="good2speed"]If its on this site and a trade is setup in the trade module and is confirmed then the trade must be completed. If a trade is initiated but is not confirmed then a party can back off. If its confirmed then the trade is binding and a user cant decide to take a better offer.[/quote09117b9aa4]

Is that a rule somewhere or is that just your theory?

halfbreed

02-10-2005 14:26:18

[quote6450733238="good2speed"]If its on this site and a trade is setup in the trade module and is confirmed then the trade must be completed. If a trade is initiated but is not confirmed then a party can back off. If its confirmed then the trade is binding and a user cant decide to take a better offer.[/quote6450733238]

Your wrong actually. Like people stated above, as long as no one has gone green already or signed up for anything then you can always back out of a trade. I had to find this out the hard way, I waited 2 weeks for someone to green then they were like I can't do any offers and they backed out.

good2speed

02-10-2005 14:31:39

[quotecbdc0d68cf="halfbreed"][quotecbdc0d68cf="good2speed"]If its on this site and a trade is setup in the trade module and is confirmed then the trade must be completed. If a trade is initiated but is not confirmed then a party can back off. If its confirmed then the trade is binding and a user cant decide to take a better offer.[/quotecbdc0d68cf]

Your wrong actually. Like people stated above, as long as no one has gone green already or signed up for anything then you can always back out of a trade. I had to find this out the hard way, I waited 2 weeks for someone to green then they were like I can't do any offers and they backed out.[/quotecbdc0d68cf]

then what is the point of intiating a trade and having the confirm button. Wouldnt that mean an intention to agree to the trade. In my reasoning thats similar to signing a contract. If someone initiates a sale and draws up a contract ( intiates a trade in the module) presents it to the other party and the other party signs the contract ( hits the confirm button) isnt the contract binding. Im under the impression that once someone signs a contract they are bound to the terms and cant back out. Wouldnt it be a waste of time and paper if contracts were worthless. I find it similar here even though this isnt real busniess. I just feel having initiated the trade and having it confirmed should stand for something. Otherwise I feel were all wasting our times. Yet again thats my assumption.

and in your situation they were unable to complete the trade on there end not that they recieved a better offer. Your situation is unique to the situation addressed in this thread.

KeithA

02-10-2005 14:32:01

[quote2227f22230="kevxross"]Assuming neither party has greened/payed/performed sexual favor then I'd say there's no problem with taking a better offer..[/quote2227f22230]

The problem is that most people try to line up refs efficiently. So, for a site that requires 5 refs, they'll have open trades with 5 individuals. If 1 or more of those individuals suddenly decides to back out of a confirmed trade, there's no making up for the time lost waiting for that trade to be completed.

It may not be against the rules, but I do think it's pretty rude...

Retro

02-10-2005 14:36:10

Yeah, it's rude and a total inconvenience. But it's nothing to get panties in a bunch for, just go look for another trade and move on with your life.

good2speed

02-10-2005 14:37:25

Let Jump get in here or another mod. Im sure theyll agree that once trade is confirmed then you cant back off. We have the confirm button for a reaSON. Its not just there for show.

Peinecone

02-10-2005 15:02:04

[quote04fb5de964="good2speed"]Let Jump get in here or another mod. Im sure theyll agree that once trade is confirmed then you cant back off. We have the confirm button for a reaSON. Its not just there for show.[/quote04fb5de964]
It is there for the person to acknowlegde the trade and they agree to the terms. Just like everyone else said, it is a dick move, but not against the rules.

ilanbg

02-10-2005 15:19:37

Wow, this actually did happen to me today, as a matter of fact. It was fucking annoying, especially since the trader I was doing this with didn't bother to PM me and tell me they changed their mind. In that time I had turned down two other offers.

KeithA

02-10-2005 16:32:09

[quote53bac535fe="ilanbg"]Wow, this actually did happen to me today, as a matter of fact. It was fucking annoying, especially since the trader I was doing this with didn't bother to PM me and tell me they changed their mind. In that time I had turned down two other offers.[/quote53bac535fe]

That's what I'm talking about. You lose trades/time when someone reneges on a trade if your strategy is to trade efficiently by only lining up the minimum required refs for a given site.

theysayjump

02-10-2005 16:43:48

its never actually been outlined or mentioned in the rules (never thought about it), but here is where i stand.

i think that if the confirm button wasnt there, then people could just initiate a trade with you and it automatically be accepted. then we (mods) would have no way of proving or disproving whether 2 users actually did complete a trade or not (its handy when one person accuses another of not doing their part of a trade).

personally, i think a trade becomes binding, as soon as either user, either signs up for a site, or sends paypal, or at least goes one step further than just confirming a trade.

its not against the rules, since it just isnt in the rules, but it definitely is a bit of a dick move.

what do people think about implementing it into the rules? as soon as both users have confirmed a trade, then its a trade and is binding? shrug

goofygarber

02-10-2005 16:46:23

Nah, the trade module is helpful but shouldn't be binding. Just don't trade with this person again, and suggest that others don't.

KeithA

02-10-2005 16:47:16

[quoteb99eb9c10e="theysayjump"]its never actually been outlined or mentioned in the rules (never thought about it), but here is where i stand.

what do people think about implementing it into the rules? as soon as both users have confirmed a trade, then its a trade and is binding? shrug[/quoteb99eb9c10e]

If people did their due diligence before committing to a trade (i.e. confirming that they've never done the site, confirming that they can do the offers, etc., etc.) it would go a long way towards reducing the amount of time/bullshit that goes into trading. My $.02

tracemhunter

02-10-2005 16:49:39

that happened with me this week with that kdollar guy.

Admin

02-10-2005 16:56:02

My stance on the trading module has always been that it's a means to an end. It's there to simplify and protect users as much as possible. What goes on between you and another trader is your business. I don't think backing out of a confirmed trade should be against the rules, since there are legitimate reasons for needing to do it. I'm with jump - once someone goes yellow, sends payment, etc the trade is set. Until then, you're still in the "Negotiation" phase, just like the status says.

ilanbg

02-10-2005 18:54:26

[quote3d9d4bfdd8="goofygarber"]Nah, the trade module is helpful but shouldn't be binding. Just don't trade with this person again, and suggest that others don't.[/quote3d9d4bfdd8]

In that case, I suggest traders don't bother with codex.

stackmjwiz

02-10-2005 19:55:05

I suggest that you guys don't trade with mroogy. We agreed (confirmed on module) on a trade last night, but he just abruptly decided to pm me saying opps, i just got a higher offer.

theysayjump

02-10-2005 20:22:20

lets not start this into a thread about who not to trade with. i traded mroogy and the trade was very fast, communicative and good.

mroogy

02-10-2005 20:43:50

Yeah I started a trade with stackmjwiz last night. Honestly, I saw and still see setting up a trade in the trade module as recognition by both parties that you want to do a trade and that you're both prepared to go into the final steps of negotiation/setting up the trade; not as a definite contract (such as sending payment or signing up). I don't see it as being a big deal, and do apologize for the time it took to read and reply to a few PM's, but see it as just that; opening an inbox and responding to a few PM's. I didn't leave you hanging for a week without a response or anything and in fact the time stamps on the trade module are just under an hour apart from trade confirmation to request deletion. And I let you know the minute that I did want to cancel the trade.

I'll let you guys decide what to think about it, but I guess all in all it doesn't matter too much, just a few karma and possibly a few lost trades for me if everyone does think I'm a jerk D

(copied and pasted from inbox/sentbox)

stack I'll give you $7

me lol you're lucky I'm desperate Very Happy . Is the Real Rhapsody offer up?

stack Yes

me Okay, It's actually my sister that will be doing the offer, but I don't think she's doing anything tonight so if I call her up she should be able to signup in the next few hours sometime. Sound good?

<requested trade in trade module here thinking he was at his comp where he could get trade going that night>

stack Can we do this tommorow? I won't be around in a few hours.

me Okay. Is it alright if she goes ahead and signs up tonight? You wouldn't have to pay tonight or anything, just sometime in the next 4-5 days would be good.

stack I'll pm it tommorow, I'm not at home at this moment.

me Actually, I just got a higher bid. Also just wanted to say sorry about earlier I didn't mean to be pushy; I thought your link was already in the trade module but that you thought I'd want to you to pay as soon as I went green Smile . Sorry it didn't work out, thanks for your time.

<post above above was sent just minutes after request deletion>

<the following takes place the next day>

stack what do you mean a higher bid? the trade is confirmed...

me I thought it was ok to back out of a trade as long as no one had signed up/sent cash or done something along those lines? If that's against the rules I'd be willing to help out though (my sister is already yellow under someone else, but I haven't used my signup yet because I wasn't after gamingsystems).

stack Ok, its not explicitly written in the rulebook, but it certainly isn't proper etiquette. Can you do free360xbox or flashipods4free?

me Already done both of those Confused . If you want, to clear things up, I'll pay you what my ref was worth in the trade so that you can buy another ref.

stack k, my paypal is ------------------

me Actually, I don't think I'll do it. I could understand if there were a lot invested in the trade, but that was a whole 5 minutes reading and responding to PM's over a trade in which I was going to sign up for only $7. It's not about the money, it was only $7; it just made me pissed when I realized how ridiculous it was that I was about to pay the price of my ref for a trade in the 'negotiation' stage that I backed out of. My sister was in a hurry wanting me to get a trade for her, I thought you would be able to do it last night and your $7 was the only offer I had so far; but then it turned out you wouldn't be able to send your ref link until the next day and at the same time I got an offer for $10. So I took that trade because that person actually offered the livery cheapli asking price and had already sent me their link, and I was in a hurry to sign up cuz my sister was nagging me so that she could start her music downloads. I will apologize for the few minutes you took typing up a few responses to PM's, but I don't see how setting up a trade and then backing out of it in the same hour (messaging you explaining what was going on as soon as I did) for a better/quicker offer is unproper etiquette.