College Advice Needed *Updated*

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=22462

stackmjwiz

20-09-2005 15:58:34

What are some schools with good political science and/or criminology programs that I have a shot of getting into or I should be considering?

This is a very short resume

3.3 weighted GPA, 1250/1600 SAT. For extracurriculars I've done trumpet, piano, political stuff (clubs, writting, volunteer). Taken mostly honors classes, 4 AP's, I've taken a heavy load of humanities courses. I don't know if this is taken into consideration, but my school is one of the best public high schools in the country academically. Sad to say that my GPA dropped since freshman year, but I hope to salvage something by keeping my grades up semester 1 in senior year (which I am).

As of now, I'm very sure that I'll be applying to the following

University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (little bit of a reach, would love to go)
University of Maryland, Baltimore County (Safety)
Ohio State University (Safety)
[b251d0321d1]University of Maryland, College Park has been ruled out[/b251d0321d1] (Parents don't like atmosphere)

Now Considering

West Virginia University (Morgantown)

Thanks for all input in advance =D

Sonofshoe

20-09-2005 15:59:05

dunt go to skool....

stackmjwiz

20-09-2005 16:00:58

Sorry, that's not one of my choices, sonofshoe.

tracemhunter

20-09-2005 16:04:04

http//www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/natudoc/tier1/t1natudoc_brief.php

Admin

20-09-2005 16:16:45

UCSC supposedly has a good polisci program

wood

20-09-2005 16:24:00

Woooot.
Drexel University #109 baybeee

ENGRDawg

20-09-2005 17:02:06

if you get into UofI or College Park I would say go there. . .otherwiseurl==http://=http:///url look at some bigger state schools that would be easier to get into. I dont really know that much about the other UM but Ohio State wouldnt be that bad, ya know? I do make it a point to hate the buckeyes as much as possible. . .buturl==http://=http:///url that really isnt a part of a serious college discussion.

slease

20-09-2005 17:53:02

You're in Maryland huh... what's your class rank? that matters more than GPA to most schools.

American University (DC) is close to you and has an EXCELLENT poli sci program. Before you major in poli sci be sure you know what you want to do with it. I majored in International Studies and can't figure out why I did it, lol. Not sure about criminology schools but those are usually best at state schools so just go with your best and biggest local state scohol.

stackmjwiz

20-09-2005 19:09:37

I believe there was too much competition for valedictorian, performance of students were so high in the country that we stopped doing class rank like 7 years ago.

If I were to study, It would probablly have to be history, government, or something along that lines...my interests have always been there. For a career, I'd like to do something in the DOJ, such as FBI work.

slease

20-09-2005 19:50:10

[quotea4cc4fa070="stackmjwiz"]I believe there was too much competition for valedictorian, performance of students were so high in the country that we stopped doing class rank like 7 years ago.

If I were to study, It would probablly have to be history, government, or something along that lines...my interests have always been there. For a career, I'd like to do something in the DOJ, such as FBI work.[/quotea4cc4fa070]

Interesting, I don't know how the schools in Texas would decide who gets in without class rank. They put a big emphasis on the top 10% getting an automatic spot at state schools. I believe Cali does this as well.

FreeOffersNow

20-09-2005 19:54:02

A bit OT but here's my school )

http//www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/directory/brief/drglance_2821_brief.php

slease

20-09-2005 19:54:55

Man, 2,605 students... what's that like. My school just hit 34,000.

FreeOffersNow

20-09-2005 19:58:00

[quote8b99f7bf77="slease"]Man, 2,605 students... what's that like. My school just hit 34,000.[/quote8b99f7bf77]

Just about the size of my high school, grades 10-12 )

bigchan2k

20-09-2005 20:28:49

stack,

I'm a senior at UMCP. Got in 3 years ago (not waitlisted) with a 4.1 weighted, 1220/1600 SAT, 7 AP's, some extracurriculars. I heard that its significantly harder to get in now than back then, though. One of my friends didn't get accepted with like a 3.6, 1200-1300 SAT this past year. I would say if you don't get into UMCP, try UMBC for a semester, than transfer over.

autiger

20-09-2005 20:55:00

[quote75c65a350e="stackmjwiz"]What are some schools with good political science and/or criminology programs that I have a shot of getting into or I should be considering?

This is a very short resume

3.3 weighted GPA, 1250/1600 SAT. For extracurriculars I've done trumpet, piano, political stuff (clubs, writting, volunteer). Taken mostly honors classes, 4 AP's, I've taken a heavy load of humanities courses. I don't know if this is taken into consideration, but my school is one of the best public high schools in the country academically. Sad to say that my GPA dropped since freshman year, but I hope to salvage something by keeping my grades up semester 1 in senior year (which I am).

As of now, I'm very sure that I'll be applying to the following

University of Maryland, College Park (reach, would love to go)
University of Maryland, Baltimore County (Safety)
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (little bit of a reach, would love to go)
Ohio State University (Safety)

Thanks for all input in advance =D[/quote75c65a350e]

Well here's my two cents....I attend Auburn University and am majoring in Political Science. The department from what I can tell is good. As far as admissions for Auburn, a general rule would be to say you need at least around a 3.0 and a 1030 or so on the SAT. Plus football here is great! Although we lost to Georgia Tech ( Plus....there are tons of fine women around here...Southern Girls are the best.... check it out if interested... www.auburn.edu

tracemhunter

20-09-2005 21:41:00

yea the southern girls are what im gonna miss when i move up north but i am starting to notice the southern accent more and more and it is bugging the shit out of me. i am sure that yankee accent will bug me just as much if not more than the southern accent though. that french cajun english or whatever language the louisianians speak is the worst!

good2speed

20-09-2005 22:32:06

Top accredited schools are overrated. Which college you go to doesnt really make a difference. Just go to a school that you'll feel most comfortable at. Also ask yourself what you want from college.

every school has a decent poli sci program. but if thats what your interested in then Id say go to a school near DC as their are a lot of govt internships there.

hyperboarder

20-09-2005 23:18:49

Colorado State biotches. Woot woot!!

FreeOffersNow

21-09-2005 06:37:26

[quote15ad25d839="good2speed"]Top accredited schools are overrated. Which college you go to doesnt really make a difference. Just go to a school that you'll feel most comfortable at. Also ask yourself what you want from college.

every school has a decent poli sci program. but if thats what your interested in then Id say go to a school near DC as their are a lot of govt internships there.[/quote15ad25d839]

Do you have a diploma? GED maybe? I agree with what you're saying for the first year, or maybe even the first two years...as generally schools offer the same core during that time....but to claim that "Top accredited schools are overrated" is just god damn ridiculous. Laughable man, really.

"It's better to remain silent and thought dumb then to speak and remove all doubt!" - [I'm sure you're educated enough to know who said that...if you Google it, you've already lost]

tracemhunter

21-09-2005 06:45:09

thats abraham lincoln isnt it?

FreeOffersNow

21-09-2005 06:57:27

[quoteab9624ad39="tracemhunter"]thats abraham lincoln isnt it?[/quoteab9624ad39]

Yes. A very well-known quote but if you had to Google it no big deal...wasn't a trivia question, more of using his words to make a statement )

wood

21-09-2005 07:05:24

LoL FON, you butchered that quote.

johnjimjones

21-09-2005 09:41:22

#60 oohhh yeahhh

I got into Purdue with a 1180/1600 and 31/240 in my class. Someone had a seizure when they were looking over my application. Especially me going into engineering.

FreeOffersNow

21-09-2005 10:07:48

[quote55e13e221f="wood"]LoL FON, you butchered that quote.[/quote55e13e221f]

Uhh...sorry. Switch out "dumb" with "a fool." Better?

good2speed

21-09-2005 10:41:13

[quote2886e332a5="FreeOffersNow"][quote2886e332a5="good2speed"]Top accredited schools are overrated. Which college you go to doesnt really make a difference. Just go to a school that you'll feel most comfortable at. Also ask yourself what you want from college.

every school has a decent poli sci program. but if thats what your interested in then Id say go to a school near DC as their are a lot of govt internships there.[/quote2886e332a5]

Do you have a diploma? GED maybe? I agree with what you're saying for the first year, or maybe even the first two years...as generally schools offer the same core during that time....but to claim that "Top accredited schools are overrated" is just god damn ridiculous. Laughable man, really.

"It's better to remain silent and thought dumb then to speak and remove all doubt!" - [I'm sure you're educated enough to know who said that...if you Google it, you've already lost][/quote2886e332a5]

Wait are you still in college. Only say that bc you say your 20. Once you graduate and start working then let me know. Love how kids still in school know everyhting there is about getting a good job when they dont have one. Heres a lollipop

doylnea

21-09-2005 11:18:14

Here's my advice-
Go the best [ranked/rated] school you can get into, no matter what it costs. The name of the school on your resume is at least as important as is your GPA (which is not to discount your grades). One of the main things a great school gives you is an alumni network on which to draw for references, jobs, and future help.

As far as Poly Sci/Crim schools - are you looking to earn a BS/BA and get a job or pursue a further degree? If you're looking at a Masters/JD/MBA consider what degree will serve you best in your future career and grad school applications.

Your resume and credentials are pretty good, and colleges (those that only grant undergraduate degrees) and universities (those that grant undergrad and grad degrees) do consider your high school. But, if your high school is as good a school as you say, the guidance and career counselors should be in touch with the best colleges and universities to make sure they realize your high school is tougher (and therefore produces better students (and more importantly to the school better future DONORS)). If they're not, that is one of their jobs.

Good luck. College is one of my favorite memories.

Lunarpancake

21-09-2005 11:50:03

WVU has the #2 Forensics program in the USA....we work closely with the FBI HQ wich is not too far.

i figured forensics and criminology were related kinda. Not sure about our poly sci program tho.

ForZIP Support

21-09-2005 13:35:38

University of Michigan......#2 ranked Poli Sci program in the country. Not bad for a public.