Ebayers that only ship to confirmed addresses

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=21714

slease

11-09-2005 21:03:27

What do you do when someone buys your product but doesn't have a confirmed address? Just wondering, you think people would read the damn auction description and only bid if their address was confirmed like I asked... but alas, no.

tracemhunter

11-09-2005 21:04:43

i get their paypal address to check if its verified. if its not, i retract their bid and block them from my auction.

slease

11-09-2005 21:05:42

[quote4eedff3941="tracemhunter"]i get their paypal address to check if its verified. if its not, i retract their bid and block them from my auction.[/quote4eedff3941]

This person in question has already paid me, I sent them a polite email telling them that I won't ship to them until they confirm their address.

mr0x

11-09-2005 21:06:01

[quotef6ad44b875="slease"]What do you do when someone buys your product but doesn't have a confirmed address? Just wondering, you think people would read the damn auction description and only bid if their address was confirmed like I asked... but alas, no.[/quotef6ad44b875]

It's Paypal's way of gotchas. Nobody reads all the text you put in the auction.

Just wait for it to be transferred to the bank and send the item, I guess. If a chargeback happens, fight it and if you lose just start another paypal account.

tracemhunter

11-09-2005 21:08:33

lol, just tell them you wont send until the address is confirmed and tell them they are fucking RETARDED (in voice of Carlos Mencia) for not reading the auction.

mr0x

11-09-2005 21:09:18

[quote27c408a24c="slease"][quote27c408a24c="tracemhunter"]i get their paypal address to check if its verified. if its not, i retract their bid and block them from my auction.[/quote27c408a24c]

This person in question has already paid me, I sent them a polite email telling them that I won't ship to them until they confirm their address.[/quote27c408a24c]

If they are uncofirmed but send you money inside the US, then it was paid through a direct bank transfer and not a credit card (coz' putting a credit card in confirms the address - unless the address is different than the shipping address).

So, I don't know if it's possible to tell if it's from a bank transfer or a credit card.

slease

11-09-2005 21:10:28

[quote0a7e067f72="mr0x"][quote0a7e067f72="slease"]What do you do when someone buys your product but doesn't have a confirmed address? Just wondering, you think people would read the damn auction description and only bid if their address was confirmed like I asked... but alas, no.[/quote0a7e067f72]

Just wait for it to be transferred to the bank and send the item, I guess. If a chargeback happens, fight it and if you lose just start another paypal account.[/quote0a7e067f72]

I lost 450.00 this summer because of a chargeback, I'm not shipping to an uncomfirmed address.

ipodjon

11-09-2005 21:12:17

Don't ship. I know from experience.

I sold a Sony Vaio laptop and had the charges contested. I finally won after having so much background on the person.

It's best to just eat the ebay fees and try and try again if you're working with a big ticket item.

It sucks but what can you do?

mr0x

11-09-2005 21:15:44

[quotec4314e37fc="slease"][quotec4314e37fc="mr0x"][quotec4314e37fc="slease"]What do you do when someone buys your product but doesn't have a confirmed address? Just wondering, you think people would read the damn auction description and only bid if their address was confirmed like I asked... but alas, no.[/quotec4314e37fc]

Just wait for it to be transferred to the bank and send the item, I guess. If a chargeback happens, fight it and if you lose just start another paypal account.[/quotec4314e37fc]

I lost 450.00 this summer because of a chargeback, I'm not shipping to an uncomfirmed address.[/quotec4314e37fc]

Didn't you have a tracking number? I think if you have a tracking number, a chargeback can be defended.

slease

11-09-2005 21:17:14

[quote4b34c91c77="mr0x"][quote4b34c91c77="slease"][quote4b34c91c77="tracemhunter"]i get their paypal address to check if its verified. if its not, i retract their bid and block them from my auction.[/quote4b34c91c77]

This person in question has already paid me, I sent them a polite email telling them that I won't ship to them until they confirm their address.[/quote4b34c91c77]

If they are uncofirmed but send you money inside the US, then it was paid through a direct bank transfer and not a credit card (coz' putting a credit card in confirms the address - unless the address is different than the shipping address).

So, I don't know if it's possible to tell if it's from a bank transfer or a credit card.[/quote4b34c91c77]

They can confirm at any time by registering their credit card with paypal. Even if they paid using a bank transfer.

Here's the auction in question http//cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5805860531

Is it not obvious what I required?

slease

11-09-2005 21:18:05

[quoteb469e9fe81="mr0x"][quoteb469e9fe81="slease"][quoteb469e9fe81="mr0x"][quoteb469e9fe81="slease"]What do you do when someone buys your product but doesn't have a confirmed address? Just wondering, you think people would read the damn auction description and only bid if their address was confirmed like I asked... but alas, no.[/quoteb469e9fe81]

Just wait for it to be transferred to the bank and send the item, I guess. If a chargeback happens, fight it and if you lose just start another paypal account.[/quoteb469e9fe81]

I lost 450.00 this summer because of a chargeback, I'm not shipping to an uncomfirmed address.[/quoteb469e9fe81]

Didn't you have a tracking number? I think if you have a tracking number, a chargeback can be defended.[/quoteb469e9fe81]

I can't get seller protection unless their address is confirmed, and no I didn't have a tracking #, another mistake I won't be making again.

mr0x

11-09-2005 21:28:53

[quote41530fd0be="slease"][quote41530fd0be="mr0x"][quote41530fd0be="slease"][quote41530fd0be="mr0x"][quote41530fd0be="slease"]What do you do when someone buys your product but doesn't have a confirmed address? Just wondering, you think people would read the damn auction description and only bid if their address was confirmed like I asked... but alas, no.[/quote41530fd0be]

Just wait for it to be transferred to the bank and send the item, I guess. If a chargeback happens, fight it and if you lose just start another paypal account.[/quote41530fd0be]

I lost 450.00 this summer because of a chargeback, I'm not shipping to an uncomfirmed address.[/quote41530fd0be]

Didn't you have a tracking number? I think if you have a tracking number, a chargeback can be defended.[/quote41530fd0be]

I can't get seller protection unless their address is confirmed, and no I didn't have a tracking #, another mistake I won't be making again.[/quote41530fd0be]

It was probably an oppertunist scammer. Buy an item and if the seller does not ship with a tracking number, go for a chargeback.

There have been so many times when sellers have sent me items without a tracking number just using USPS mail. I just cringe when I see that.

I wish paypal would let you set conditions for sending in the payment. They will acccept any payment and then make you talk to the buyer. The buyer an ebay n00b will get freaked out and get paranoid with all this.

That's why monopolies are bad (along with the ever increasing ebay fees!) Why would ebay need to increase fees? Inflation is already accounted for in the volume of sales.

goofygarber

11-09-2005 21:31:29

That guy has a bunch of posative feedbacks though, so I think its ok =\

hehehhehe

11-09-2005 22:25:49

Refund the payment (button in paypal), and kindly request that they pay you again using a confirmed address, pointing out what you say in your item description. I've done it before. For next time, go into your paypal account, and set the option where you have to approve payments that don't have confirmed addresses.

The guy bought the same phone last week, weird...

wood

11-09-2005 22:30:32

Slease, I feel your pain man. I just sold a dell printer to someone with an unconfirmed address, and after exchanging some emails with him, I know I will be geting a negative if I dont ship the item ($350).

Needless to say I'm going to ship it with tracking and the works.
Hopefully all will turn out alright with your auction.

slease

11-09-2005 23:09:55

[quote1d548d4f7e="hehehhehe"]Refund the payment (button in paypal), and kindly request that they pay you again using a confirmed address, pointing out what you say in your item description. I've done it before. For next time, go into your paypal account, and set the option where you have to approve payments that don't have confirmed addresses.

The guy bought the same phone last week, weird...[/quote1d548d4f7e]

I'll go ahead and see what he says in his email, he might be willing to work this out. Thanks for the tip on the paypal option, I didn't know that existed.

mr0x

11-09-2005 23:22:29

[quotee7bc1d3cae="hehehhehe"]Refund the payment (button in paypal), and kindly request that they pay you again using a confirmed address, pointing out what you say in your item description. I've done it before. For next time, go into your paypal account, and set the option where you have to approve payments that don't have confirmed addresses.

The guy bought the same phone last week, weird...[/quotee7bc1d3cae]

Check out the last 7-8 auctions he's won on.

They're all Treo 600s.

Weird!

hehehhehe

11-09-2005 23:48:21

[quotec9d3f05951="slease"]I'll go ahead and see what he says in his email, he might be willing to work this out. Thanks for the tip on the paypal option, I didn't know that existed.[/quotec9d3f05951]
You are in the right to just refund the payment and ask to have it resent, as you have clearly said in your item description that you will only send to confirmed addresses. Don't even try to negotiate that with him, because if he's legit, he shouldn't care too much.