How do you feel about bums?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=20200

slease

19-08-2005 22:23:17

Just wondering.

There was one outside my blockbuster that asked me for change a few days ago, i said sorry i didn't have any, and he was kinda nasty back to me. Personally I don't mind giving change to street musicians and the like, but sitting on the corner with a sign just seems kinda like they aren't trying very hard.

Oh and please no comments about how we should lock them all up or ship them to canada or something, lol. If I wanted to hear that I'd turn on Fox news.

JOSHBOX

19-08-2005 22:27:06

i usually have a shitload of pennies sitting in my cupholder that i give whenever someone asks.

tracemhunter

19-08-2005 22:28:50

i feel the same way. i have a true stories about practically everything so here is another one. my family and i were following my aunt back to her place for somebody's birthday and we were at a red light. there was a hobo on the corner and he asked the guy in the car in front of my aunt for change and the guy said no. the hobo then pulled him out of the car and beat the shit out of him! since then i have realized that i should not pity anybody that became who they were because of their actions. i have no sympathy whatsoever to homeless people.

theysayjump

19-08-2005 22:28:53

if i have money i can spare ill give it to them. but usually i get asked when i am on the way to buy something, as opposed to on the way back when i can give them anything.

a friend of mine back in Scotland was stopped by a homeless guy asking for money, so my friend asked him what he was going to spend it on, and the homeless guy said he was going to go and by beer with it, so my friend gave him 5 GBP, about $10 since he was honest about it.

the way i see it is that they need the money more than i do.

one of my ambitions in life is to be a philanthropist. theres just so many rich people who can do good with their money but dont, its sad.

slease

19-08-2005 22:29:48

[quotef6a97b4f54="JOSHBOX"]i usually have a shitload of pennies sitting in my cupholder that i give whenever someone asks.[/quotef6a97b4f54]

I used to have a friend that made bums tell jokes to get the money they were asking for...he thought it was hillarious til one pinned him up against a wall to scare him.

JuG

19-08-2005 22:30:16

Umm i went down philly for a MLG (halo 2) comp and there were bums asking for 1$ to get the septa and then there was a bum that was asking for a soda so i have him my big bottle of dew.

I think its messed up that there has to be bums anywhere. I fell that there should be more places for bums to live and get there life back togeather.

WTF? I have -1 karma?

theysayjump

19-08-2005 22:30:58

[quote337c62985d="tracemhunter"]i feel the same way. i have a true stories about practically everything so here is another one. my family and i were following my aunt back to her place for somebody's birthday and we were at a red light. there was a hobo on the corner and he asked the guy in the car in front of my aunt for change and the guy said no. the hobo then pulled him out of the car and beat the shit out of him! since then i have realized that i should not pity anybody that became who they were because of their actions. i have no sympathy whatsoever to homeless people.[/quote337c62985d]

riiight......cos every single homeless person deserves to be homeless. they're all violent, abusive, drug using, alcoholics right? roll

slease

19-08-2005 22:32:02

[quote56d7e62e54="tracemhunter"]i feel the same way. i have a true stories about practically everything so here is another one. my family and i were following my aunt back to her place for somebody's birthday and we were at a red light. there was a hobo on the corner and he asked the guy in the car in front of my aunt for change and the guy said no. the hobo then pulled him out of the car and beat the shit out of him! since then i have realized that i should not pity anybody that became who they were because of their actions. i have no sympathy whatsoever to homeless people.[/quote56d7e62e54]

While I agree that a lot of them are where they are for their own actions, sometime the system just doesn't work for everyone. The proverbial don't judge a book by its cover.

tracemhunter

19-08-2005 22:32:16

the ones i have come across are, especially in the deep ellum area (you know where that is slease)

JuG

19-08-2005 22:33:23

if i was homeless i gues i would be violent, abusive, drug using,and a alcoholic.

JOSHBOX

19-08-2005 22:33:56

98% of all bums will never live life any other way. Not saying they deserve it but they are just in so deep they cant help themselves.

slease

19-08-2005 22:34:52

[quote43a2c98494="tracemhunter"]the ones i have come across are.[/quote43a2c98494]

But can you tell the difference between a crack addict and a schitzophrantic?

You're right, I have a conspiracy theory that the bums in deep ellum aren't really homeless but do what they do as a part time job on weekends. Because when I'm there on weekdays there never seem to be as many. Deep ellum bums can be pretty scary. They can also make up some great stories trying to get your money.

tracemhunter

19-08-2005 22:35:46

no not really. my brother is a fucking meth addict. he was always switching moods and stuff. he has been clean for 6 or 7 months now and got his shit together so if he can get it right then those stupid fucking hobos can as well.

theysayjump

19-08-2005 22:36:53

[quotea001773bba="tracemhunter"]the ones i have come across are.[/quotea001773bba]

i had an arguement with my brother on the streets of New York because he was saying that he disliked Pakistani people because every single Pakistani person he met was a dick to him.........just because some are dicks doesnt mean the entire race are.

you shouldnt judge all "bums" by the ones you have met.

slease

19-08-2005 22:39:38

[quote6dccdce450="theysayjump"][quote6dccdce450="tracemhunter"]the ones i have come across are.[/quote6dccdce450]

i had an arguement with my brother on the streets of New York because he was saying that he disliked Pakistani people because every single Pakistani person he met was a dick to him.........just because some are dicks doesnt mean the entire race are.

you shouldnt judge all "bums" by the ones you have met.[/quote6dccdce450]

On a side bar, last time I was in London I realized how much Londoners despise Pakistanis, it's amazing how we marginalize minorities, here in Texas I'd never seen a Pakistani so I was quite surprised when I heard all the ethnic slurs and jokes about them... maybe I should just have been hanging out with better people though, lol.

theysayjump

19-08-2005 22:44:57

yeah the racism towards Indian, Pakistani, middle eastern people in the UK can get really out of hand in certain places.

there were race riots a few years ago in the mid-northern England. its the same thing as it is here with African-Americans, Hispanic, Oriental people, its just ignorance.

over there they will call anyone who looks remotely tanned a Paki. not everyone will but you know what i mean.

nicd.01

19-08-2005 22:48:39

The thing about giving money to homeless people is that you can't always tell whether they are bullshitting you or not. I was in Chicago waiting for a train with my girlfriend and her family and this family came up to us asking for money for the train... Peculiar since you could only get to where we were BY PAYING to get in. I've also been approached by numerous people asking for money to get their "babies" or "children" a bus ticket... This is usually in high traffic areas or tourist attractions. I really don't have a problem giving a few cents to people, I just prefer to keep it for people who honestly look homeless - not like they just got off the bus from wherever they live. It's really a shame how some people look at homeless people like animals or less than human, though. I see it a lot downtown and it's fucking sick how there have been reports of teenagers literally pissing on people sleeping on the sidewalk.

Prime example
http/" alt=""/img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/660_verbal/lol.jpg[/img2d1e2acce5]
What a lovely human being. It's also fitting that she is in the record books for getting the highest severance check EVER (after that fucking Glitter movie came out). Slut.

P.S. Nice sig, tsj. ;-)

willr91

19-08-2005 22:51:42

Let's just say this they're lying on the sidewalk with shabby clothes and virtually no money for a reason. If you're homeless it's most likely your fault.

J4320

19-08-2005 22:52:31

I eat bums. They're yummy.

I'll discuss my view on it tomorrow.

ajrock2000

19-08-2005 22:53:45

I usually keep a few McDonalds applications handy to give to bums. )

nicd.01

19-08-2005 22:56:52

[quote4380c32a8f="ajrock2000"]I usually keep a few McDonalds applications handy to give to bums. )[/quote4380c32a8f]

Better than Wal-Mart, I guess.

theysayjump

19-08-2005 22:59:33

[quotedced169a7e="nicd.01"]The thing about giving money to homeless people is that you can't always tell whether they are bullshitting you or not. I was in Chicago waiting for a train with my girlfriend and her family and this family came up to us asking for money for the train... Peculiar since you could only get to where we were BY PAYING to get in. I've also been approached by numerous people asking for money to get their "babies" or "children" a bus ticket... This is usually in high traffic areas or tourist attractions. I really don't have a problem giving a few cents to people, I just prefer to keep it for people who honestly look homeless - not like they just got off the bus from wherever they live. It's really a shame how some people look at homeless people like animals or less than human, though. I see it a lot downtown and it's fucking sick how there have been reports of teenagers literally pissing on people sleeping on the sidewalk.

Prime example
http/" alt=""/img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/660_verbal/lol.jpg[/imgdced169a7e]
What a lovely human being. It's also fitting that she is in the record books for getting the highest severance check EVER (after that fucking Glitter movie came out). Slut.

P.S. Nice sig, tsj. ;-)[/quotedced169a7e]

thank you D i thought you might like it.

so what was the reasoning behind her posing for that picture? that just......you can just tell she really couldnt give a shit about homeless people....or anyone besides herself for that matter.

using homeless people for her own gain........nice.

stoogepid

19-08-2005 23:05:01

[quote5a20c93a03="theysayjump"][quote5a20c93a03="nicd.01"]The thing about giving money to homeless people is that you can't always tell whether they are bullshitting you or not. I was in Chicago waiting for a train with my girlfriend and her family and this family came up to us asking for money for the train... Peculiar since you could only get to where we were BY PAYING to get in. I've also been approached by numerous people asking for money to get their "babies" or "children" a bus ticket... This is usually in high traffic areas or tourist attractions. I really don't have a problem giving a few cents to people, I just prefer to keep it for people who honestly look homeless - not like they just got off the bus from wherever they live. It's really a shame how some people look at homeless people like animals or less than human, though. I see it a lot downtown and it's fucking sick how there have been reports of teenagers literally pissing on people sleeping on the sidewalk.

Prime example
http/" alt=""/img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/660_verbal/lol.jpg[/img5a20c93a03]

P.S. Nice sig, tsj. ;-)[/quote5a20c93a03]

thank you D i thought you might like it.

so what was the reasoning behind her posing for that picture? that just......you can just tell she really couldnt give a shit about homeless people....or anyone besides herself for that matter.

using homeless people for her own gain........nice.[/quote5a20c93a03]

I remember something about the homeless person refusing at first to take a picture with her.

tracemhunter

19-08-2005 23:05:31

good thing to point out

Stroid

19-08-2005 23:07:39

i feel bad for bums that actually cant help themselves like people with mental problems but overall most bums i run into in downtown atlanta wish is a shitload really really piss me off.... they ask for money and if you dont give it to them they get pissed off what the fuck is that...i go to school in the heart of the city so i have to deal with it everyday i see one women that is clearly faking it she has nice shoes and a nice leather jacket but she ties a old belt around her jacket and asks for money plus i see her at different places on different days wearing different shit... i think if you are sane and your body works you can get a job no excuse

on a side note we just passed a law in atlanta last week that makes it illegal to panhandle in downtown atlanta

JuG

19-08-2005 23:07:43

http//josephmillson.tripod.com/Seattle/images/hookerbum_JPG.jpg[" alt=""/imgc76bb85e12]

atleast he dont lie

stoogepid

19-08-2005 23:09:27

Yea I've seen signs with like that. I take their sign and throw it onto the street.

tracemhunter

19-08-2005 23:11:35

panhandling is illegal here too but the hobos do it to get in jail and get food or w/e. how they get money here is acting like parking people and ask for money instead of you putting it in the appropriate slot in the parking lot.

Stroid

19-08-2005 23:14:04

[quotea9a7960d7c="tracemhunter"]panhandling is illegal here too but the hobos do it to get in jail and get food or w/e. how they get money here is acting like parking people and ask for money instead of you putting it in the appropriate slot in the parking lot.[/quotea9a7960d7c]

i got two bitches arrested for doing that at a Braves game all these bums and hood rats ripped down a fence and they had a security jacket on and everything with a flag they flagged in about 20 cars then a cop came by and they all disappered so the cop was asking who did it and the stupid woman that started it was still wearing the security vest so i showed the cop and he went and picked her and her friend up and arrested both of them it was great stupid bitches deserved it.

slease

19-08-2005 23:39:33

[quote7c0a34d02b="ajrock2000"]I usually keep a few McDonalds applications handy to give to bums. )[/quote7c0a34d02b]

Reminds me of that Lazyboy song Underwear Goes Inside the Pants.

I don't really think its that easy to get a job at McDonalds. Any job is going to want reliability.

FreeOffersNow

20-08-2005 00:18:56

Well, since tracemhunter shared a true story...I think I will to. As alot of you probably know, there are corners that are known to "house" bums. Well, for years there was a guy (ski) and his wife (don't know her name) who sat at the same corner, day after day. I've given my fair share to them...but I tend to give candy/food/drink rather than money...that way I know its not going straight to their liver. Long story short, my buddy's mother went and offered to put them up in one of the houses her and her husband rented out...under the condition that they spend a day looking for a job with her. (Not-so) suprisingly, they declined. Think about that for a minute next time you see a bum...because most of them CHOOSE that way of life. If you can get by without working, why work? I hate to say it, but I think that as long as people give them money, they'll never try to "get on their feet." Not to say I don't feel bad for them, I mean, they're human....but think about this story next time a homeless person asks you if you could spare some change.

slease

20-08-2005 00:34:19

[quotef750194a08="FreeOffersNow"]Well, since tracemhunter shared a true story...I think I will to. As alot of you probably know, there are corners that are known to "house" bums. Well, for years there was a guy (ski) and his wife (don't know her name) who sat at the same corner, day after day. I've given my fair share to them...but I tend to give candy/food/drink rather than money...that way I know its not going straight to their liver. Long story short, my buddy's mother went and offered to put them up in one of the houses her and her husband rented out...under the condition that they spend a day looking for a job with her. (Not-so) suprisingly, they declined. Think about that for a minute next time you see a bum...because most of them CHOOSE that way of life. If you can get by without working, why work? I hate to say it, but I think that as long as people give them money, they'll never try to "get on their feet." Not to say I don't feel bad for them, I mean, they're human....but think about this story next time a homeless person asks you if you could spare some change.[/quotef750194a08]

That's a really interesting take on it.

Anyone here from NYC? Didn't they start a program where bums can sell free guidebooks for a dollar?

theysayjump

20-08-2005 00:41:48

we have a program in the UK called The Big Issue. basically homeless people sell agazines called the big issue, and they get the profits.

http//www.bigissue.com/bigissue.html

its doing really well and its helped a lot of homeless people.

there was a story of this one dick who abused it and was making something ridiculous like $6,000 a month from it.

but overall its a good thing.

stoogepid

20-08-2005 00:45:35

WOW Thats so cool. Nothing like that would ever get started in the US.

slease

20-08-2005 00:46:57

[quote88ffa5e466="theysayjump"]we have a program in the UK called The Big Issue. basically homeless people sell agazines called the big issue, and they get the profits.

there was a story of this one dick who abused it and was making something ridiculous like $6,000 a month from it.

but overall its a good thing.[/quote88ffa5e466]

That could have been where I heard it from, something made me think of NYC though for some reason.

JuG

20-08-2005 00:53:50

wow what a great idea. But i dont know if it will work here in the usa but you never know.

theysayjump

20-08-2005 00:56:54

and the thing is, its actually a good magazine, so its not like people buy it cos they feel bad for the vendor selling it. its a good read and they have no political bias, they have guest editors and writers (famous authors and such), and lots of famous people do interviews for them.

nicd.01

20-08-2005 00:57:44

She's sniffin in her tissue
Sellin' the Big Issue

I finally understood what he was talking about when I saw them being sold. It was a happy moment. -)

theysayjump

20-08-2005 00:59:12

lol, i was gonna ask you if you saw anyone selling them when you were over there.and if you knew what they were talking about before you went over there or not D

xXHasek99

20-08-2005 01:18:42

[quotea5641c1987="slease"][quotea5641c1987="theysayjump"]we have a program in the UK called The Big Issue. basically homeless people sell agazines called the big issue, and they get the profits.

but overall its a good thing.[/quotea5641c1987]

That could have been where I heard it from, something made me think of NYC though for some reason.[/quotea5641c1987]

actually, we don't have that many homeless pple up here in NYC...

Tholek

20-08-2005 12:35:22

That's because Bloomberg hides them pretty well.

The vast majority of NYC's homeless are families who are cooped up in run down shelters.

Oh, and c'mon people, get with the times. It's "domicile clallenged". ;)

x323smostwantedx

20-08-2005 14:13:23

I often give bums some spare change when I have some but one day was pretty funny (true story)

My friends and I were eating at a restaurant after practice. Okay so we were eating and some bum comes up to us and he starts by saying "Okay, I'll make this quick, If yall dont give me money, Ill fuck all yall up" at that point we just looked at each other like "what the hell" then he said "come on I need money for my teeth...." so then he said "hurry up before I fuck you up" then we all just bursted out laughing and he left. Then he went to some lady a couple of tables next to us and she gave him a dollar and he said "A dollar?!, I wanted 2 bitch!"
So yeah, I only give some change to the ones I see need it and are nice about it, not like this guy.

nicd.01

20-08-2005 14:27:26

[quote557873b2cc="x323smostwantedx"]I often give bums some spare change when I have some but one day was pretty funny (true story)

My friends and I were eating at a restaurant after practice. Okay so we were eating and some bum comes up to us and he starts by saying "Okay, I'll make this quick, If yall dont give me money, Ill fuck all yall up" at that point we just looked at each other like "what the hell" then he said "come on I need money for my teeth...." so then he said "hurry up before I fuck you up" then we all just bursted out laughing and he left. Then he went to some lady a couple of tables next to us and she gave him a dollar and he said "A dollar?!, I wanted 2 bitch!"
So yeah, I only give some change to the ones I see need it and are nice about it, not like this guy.[/quote557873b2cc]

Ahhh! I hate it when they come up to you when you're fucking eating. Interrupting my dinner will REALLY make me want to give you some money. Luckily I've never been threatened with violence. My girlfriend was called a bitch once for not knowing how to direct some bum to a hospital, though.

Collateral

20-08-2005 14:29:14

Truth hurts.

comppimp

20-08-2005 14:51:27

[quote6a2c27c47e="slease"][quote6a2c27c47e="ajrock2000"]I usually keep a few McDonalds applications handy to give to bums. )[/quote6a2c27c47e]

Reminds me of that Lazyboy song Underwear Goes Inside the Pants.

I don't really think its that easy to get a job at McDonalds. Any job is going to want reliability.[/quote6a2c27c47e]

Was about to point out that exact same song P The part about saving up for a rug and a cd rack was hilarious.

nate08

20-08-2005 15:11:59

I kind of feel sorry for them.

Like a month ago I saw this family on a busy 4 way street next to a bunch of stores and restuarants. They all had signs saying, "will work for food" and their clothes were really ratty. I really felt for them because it seemed SO humiliating to them as they just watched cars go by. They were stationed at like 3 different places and a bunch of people gave them nasty, "I'm so glad I'm not them" looks.

dudeextrem2000

22-08-2005 15:59:36

i dont like em reason being, i went to a fireworks display near the 4th and had a few xtra bucks so i gave him one, after the display was over i saw him get up and get in this nice customized honda civic and drive away.... from that point on i really dont care

lakersin2025

22-08-2005 20:14:38

I live in Humboldt up in Northern California and there is some damn hippie on every corner asking for money. I got hit up for my Lobster leftovers one night and I gave it to her because I wanted to help. I'll give food but their are damn hippies that have rich parents and sit on the corner asking for money so they can buy weed. Fuck that! Get a job you damn hippies (in a Cartman voice).

Also, I saw a special on Dateline many years ago where they followed this "bum" and he got into his Ferrari at the end of the day that was parked around the corner. He made like $300,000 tax free from pan handling. This is why I'll hook them up with food but never money. I need money too, I'm trying to support my wife through college. That's all for my rant for now.

Stroid

22-08-2005 20:19:59

[quote0c4510ebfc="lakersin2025"]I live in Humboldt up in Northern California and there is some damn hippie on every corner asking for money. I got hit up for my Lobster leftovers one night and I gave it to her because I wanted to help. I'll give food but their are damn hippies that have rich parents and sit on the corner asking for money so they can buy weed. Fuck that! Get a job you damn hippies (in a Cartman voice).

Also, I saw a special on Dateline many years ago where they followed this "bum" and he got into his Ferrari at the end of the day that was parked around the corner. He made like $300,000 tax free from pan handling. This is why I'll hook them up with food but never money. I need money too, I'm trying to support my wife through college. That's all for my rant for now.[/quote0c4510ebfc]

oh wow Humboldt you say that must be nice lol

bballp6699

22-08-2005 20:25:37

Damn, you guys have bums like I have squirrels. I've only seen like two homeless people ever.

lakersin2025

22-08-2005 20:46:49

[quoteda08e7c5b9="bballp6699"]Damn, you guys have bums like I have squirrels. I've only seen like two homeless people ever.[/quoteda08e7c5b9]

Dude, I am laughing my ass off! That is some humor right there...

JUNIOR6886

22-08-2005 21:59:02

I also have a true story about bums. I was working later than usual
and i didnt get off till 1100PM on my way to my busstop i was passing through a 7-eleven when i saw a bum and his girl with a baby approach me. He said he needs money to buy some things for his baby and for his wife. He said he didnt need anyhting for himself but he didnt want them to go hungry. For some reason that totally escapes my mind now. I felt really bad for the guy and i handed him [b915a612e4b]20$ [/b915a612e4b] yes you read right
twenty fucking dollars and he says thanks in a non-chalant manner as if i just handed him spare change. Then the next day he has the nerve to ask me for money AGAIN I gave him 5 bucks and he says "Thats it?"
I was so fuking pissed...... i just walked away and decided not to feel sorry for bums anymore.

I got a job transfer to a more upscale area recently and I now pass by a bum everyday on my way to work who wears brand-name clothing and still insists on begging people passing on the streets for money. Ive even see some of the businessmen in suits stop when they see him and have a quick chat shock I just turn on my ipod as soon as i see the douche so i dont even have to hear him beg....