Formatting the FDPC Dell PC

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=1841

IpodFace

18-10-2004 13:54:52

The Dell PC is very sluggish, I am assuming it's because of SP2? well anyway. I formatted it and put XP pro w/ sp1, now the pc is super clean, no garbage software like McAfee or that Dell experience thing. The PC also boots up and shuts down hella fast now.

One thing, on boot - I am asked to choose what OS to boot, XP home or pro. How do I get rid of this? I might be able to use the repair console on the XP pro CD to overwrite the MBR, or use something lke BootMagic but is there any simpler way? The PC is not mine and I no longer use Windows so I'm not sure about it. Oh and I flashed the BIOS before formatting. I formatted using the XP pro CD, if that matters.

The only other thing that annoyed me about it coming with sp2 installed is there is no AGP slot. evil I guess free is free, but I have some AGP cards just laying around that I could of used. Oh well!

wy-

18-10-2004 15:26:21

format it completely
or edit ur boot.ini so it dont see the other windows installationn

Admin

18-10-2004 15:30:42

Start->run->"notepad c\boot.ini"

Remove all the lines you dont want.

Save.

Quit.

Reboot.

Malformed

18-10-2004 17:07:33

my boot.ini looks like this.
(i duno what "/NoExecute=OptIn" does)

just change both \WINDOWS to whatever your windows directory is (C\WINDOWS\ for example).
might be \WINNT but i think default is \WINDOWS

[code1ffb89dda67][boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn[/code1ffb89dda67]

that should get it acting normal.

Haxxxess101

18-10-2004 20:13:56

You didnt format the whole HDD... You just installed XP PRO, but didnt erase XP Home