I need help upgrading my mac mini to OSX Tiger

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=16198

uwmarchitect

08-06-2005 09:28:43

Sorry to repeat, but I didn't want to "bump" my old post, so I'll specify in this one...

I want to take advantage of Apple's upgrade to OSX Tiger for $10, but when I received my Mac Mini from doing freeminimacs.com it turns out that the computer was bought on 2-28 according to Apple's site. Ordinarily, I would accept this and move on, but since I received the computer after the release date of OSX Tiger, I feel that it's justified that I try to upgrade.

Does anyone know a way to get around that serial number thing? Is it possible to share a serial number with someone who does fall in the time frame that Apple has set? (You have to have bought the computer on or after April 12th, I believe, to qualify.

Is there anyone out there who actually got the computer with Tiger and could just let me use their serial to get the upgrade? Or is there someone out there who got it and is happy with Panther and doesn't plan to upgrade to Tiger who could just let me use their serial to upgrade mine? I really don't know what harm or risk there would be in letting me use a serial number (I wouldn't know what else to do with it, lol) and they're not going to be able to track it since all these were bought by the companies who are giving them away.

If anyone knows anything or is willing to help me out, please PM me or post here or something...I really would like to get that upgrade. Remember, your "projected date of purchase" must be after 4-12-2005

To get the projected date of purchase, go here
http//www.apple.com/support/
and towards the bottom on the right, there is a box that says "About your Apple product." Put in your serial # for the computer there, and it will tell you the purchase date.

Thanks, guys!

EatChex89

08-06-2005 10:06:23

just get an illegal copy of it

hehehhehe

08-06-2005 10:11:12

Yeah, asking for someone else's SN is most likely against their terms anyway. I have a copy, but will probably pay the $10 for the official upgrade.

uwmarchitect

08-06-2005 10:12:00

Ehh, I'm not really into doing illegal copies of operating systems (or really for any software for that matter). Operating systems particularly scare me, though because if it cops-out on you, you're in pretty bad shape )

Thanks for the suggestion, though.