Advice on freedesktoppc

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=16066

Tony White

06-06-2005 15:18:49

I'm looking for some advice on freedesktoppc. Basically, I'm looking to get a new desktop to go with my new monitor and I was wondering what people thought of the freedesktoppc offer. I've already joined it and completed an offer a long time ago and I've thought about attempting it since I'm not working on any other offers at this point (and I've sworn of OC offers for the time being). So, are 10 refs worth the effort? And, which of the desktops w/o monitor is the best value for the 10 refs? Any advice would be appreciated, especially if you've completed the offer.

On a related note, are there any other sites that offer free desktops? I know there are notebook offers, but I really need a new desktop. Thanks.

Collateral

06-06-2005 15:42:43

heh, I completed it back when it first opened, August?, was in the first batch ) I got the Dell 3000 with a cd burner and 80GB hard drive. I think it would be worth it if you attempt it. Good luck.

Peksim

06-06-2005 15:44:11

[quotec473be18e1="Tony White"]I'm looking for some advice on freedesktoppc. Basically, I'm looking to get a new desktop to go with my new monitor and I was wondering what people thought of the freedesktoppc offer. I've already joined it and completed an offer a long time ago and I've thought about attempting it since I'm not working on any other offers at this point (and I've sworn of OC offers for the time being). So, are 10 refs worth the effort? And, which of the desktops w/o monitor is the best value for the 10 refs? Any advice would be appreciated, especially if you've completed the offer.

On a related note, are there any other sites that offer free desktops? I know there are notebook offers, but I really need a new desktop. Thanks.[/quotec473be18e1]

I have just completed it (hours after the latest shipment went 'stv'). I chose the CyberPower X based on its stats it looked like the greatest deal.

What I looked for
- Video Card (IMPORTANT if you want to play video games)
- Processor (2800+ was the highest I believe
- Reviews
It actually ranked pretty low in customer support and power supply, but outside those issues it was ranked good (not great) for satisfaction).

aguy

06-06-2005 16:52:54

get the dell and upgrade it...

originally i was going to get the cyber power, but then i read how many problems it had( cracked cases, wrong moitherboards, loose wires, bad power supply, wrong manuals.)

Dell is a very good computer and you can upgrade it easily

Tony White

07-06-2005 19:53:13

Thanks for the advice. I was also wondering if anyone has any idea if the models offered are "worth" 10 refs (assuming one ref = $50). I'm not sure if Gratis has changed the models offered in response to decreasing desktop costs, but it seems like it would be a waste of time to complete the site if the models offered aren't as valuable as they used to be.

I'm also looking for a DVD burner and I see one model has one. Should I go for that system, or just buy and install one on my own?

nicd.01

07-06-2005 19:58:25

Don't take the problems people had with the CyberPower as a major deciding factor. I got mine a few weeks ago and had absolutely no problems. The same goes with a few other people after the bad PCs shipped. I think the 2 or 3 bad eggs were probably isolated cases, maybe caused by a disgruntled employee?

AndrewZ

07-06-2005 20:04:03

On the cyberpower is there any open bays to install cd/dvd burners or anything? Does it come with any?

weez

07-06-2005 20:41:16

Get the Dell then upgrade. Trust us on this. I got my Dell and zero problems. Where if you buy CP it'll have problems. From a cracked case, faulty video card, wrong manual, etc. Dell can have up to 4gb of DDR2 ram and PCI-X. Dell is the best choice by far.

AndrewZ

07-06-2005 20:42:29

[quote41bd1d5a3e="weez"]Get the Dell then upgrade. Trust us on this. I got my Dell and zero problems. Where if you buy CP it'll have problems. From a cracked case, faulty video card, wrong manual, etc. Dell can have up to 4gb of DDR2 ram and PCI-X. Dell is the best choice by far.[/quote41bd1d5a3e]

Thats wrong most all people get the CP without problems... there was only a handfull that had defects.

aguy

07-06-2005 20:48:11

only a handful have recieved them

weez

07-06-2005 20:49:25

[quotee1fc00e8df="AndrewZ"]Thats wrong most all people get the CP without problems... there was only a handfull that had defects.[/quotee1fc00e8df]

I heard plenty of people from this site and a4f say they all had problems. Minor to fix? Possibly. But in my opinion for my hardwork I don't want something that will guarantee to fuck up. Not to mention I never even heard of CP before FreeDesktopPC. Dell isn't number one for nothing. I'm still running my old Dell of 4-5 years P3 733mhz 384 ram and its still strong.

Approve what you want but if you don't want any regret... get a Dell. Plus you got to think of the resale value. You can easily get $500-700, what can you get for CP? Laptop manual? Give me a break, what kind of dumbfuck company hands out laptop manuals for a desktop...

AndrewZ

07-06-2005 20:54:15

Most people dont wanna have to spend another 150$ to upgrade to what the CP is already at, plus a minor loose wire really wouldnt bother most people...

weez

07-06-2005 20:57:27

Its better in the long run. Plus a good video card will run you $200-300 anyway. The one CP is worth what... $60? Plus you can get a gig of ram these days for $80-100. Then you'll have a respectable gamer pc.

AndrewZ

07-06-2005 21:00:22

I dont know about you but in 2-3 years im expecting to buy a new PC and not keep runing on the same system, so the long run isnt a concern. Technology changes, its nice to upgrade. I have a couple friends who have cyberpowers and they are definatly the best bang for your buck around.

cartrenroy

07-06-2005 21:11:28

I need to buy a New or used system BUT in great conditions.

At least 756MB RAM to 1 GB, 160GB HDD, Good Video Card, Intel or Athlon.

If anyone is selling one let me know

ragefu

07-06-2005 21:14:09

Yeah saying youd never heard of cyberpower loses all your credibility. You probably wouldnt get a dell for gaming, unless you got one of their high-end ones.

weez

07-06-2005 21:18:19

[quoted4b2659455="ragefu"]Yeah saying youd never heard of cyberpower loses all your credibility. You probably wouldnt get a dell for gaming, unless you got one of their high-end ones.[/quoted4b2659455]

I just based my decision from what YOU guys have said. I'll be using my new Dell for Battlefield 2. 8) Just a few upgrades and ready to roll.

AndrewZ

07-06-2005 21:21:46

But yea I will admit people should consider the Dell becuase it does come with a crappy monitor )