poll: get rid of post counts

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=15744

freedesktoppc

02-06-2005 09:23:07

I can understand why in a forum like this, post counts can be considered important to distinguish people who know what they are talking about, from people who just showed up and want to make trouble, but in recent weeks it seems that people have been making useless threads and comments in an attempt to raise their postcounts. For example in this thread (http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=15694), there are 6 people who say the exact same thing, for absolutely no reason. As a former member of the ExtremeTech.com forum, a similar set of events took place, and as a result, they got rid of post counts and the bullshit mostly ended. Especially here at FIPG, where we have the +TR and +KM modules, it would be very easy to tell who is legit, and who is not.

FreeOffersNow

02-06-2005 09:25:03

Hence the Off-Topic forum and moderators' ability to delete/lock topics....

freedesktoppc

02-06-2005 09:27:38

[quote21e396af38="FreeOffersNow"]Hence the Off-Topic forum and moderators' ability to delete/lock topics....[/quote21e396af38]

That wasn't my point, IMO the off-topic forum does not give people an excuse to post whatever BS they want to rasie their post count. If that is allowed, the whole concept of the post count is lost, because people like clearestchannel40 and others can post random BS. Maybe, a system can be developed where mods can take away a post if it shouldn't count towards one.

theysayjump

02-06-2005 09:28:03

its an off topic board....what difference does it make if 6 people say the same thing? if everyone wanted to get their post count up then everyone would be doing that.....i did it as a laugh...i didnt think it was that big of deal...and as FON said if the mods or admin have a problem then they can delete it or lock it.

freedesktoppc

02-06-2005 09:29:22

[quote6d7f3160a8="theysayjump"]its an off topic board....what difference does it make if 6 people say the same thing? if everyone wanted to get their post count up then everyone would be doing that.....i did it as a laugh...i didnt think it was that big of deal...and as FON said if the mods or admin have a problem then they can delete it or lock it.[/quote6d7f3160a8]

but you shat on the thread. What if I actually wanted to read it, or if someone wanted that info in the future, you just made that whole thread garbage with your nonsense.

FreeOffersNow

02-06-2005 09:31:03

[quote93fecc0e43="freedesktoppc"][quote93fecc0e43="FreeOffersNow"]Hence the Off-Topic forum and moderators' ability to delete/lock topics....[/quote93fecc0e43]

That wasn't my point, IMO the off-topic forum does not give people an excuse to post whatever BS they want to rasie their post count. If that is allowed, the whole concept of the post count is lost, because people like clearestchannel40 and others can post random BS. [b93fecc0e43]Maybe, a system can be developed where mods can take away a post if it shouldn't count towards one.[/b93fecc0e43][/quote93fecc0e43]

They already can...its just not really worth the effort.

freedesktoppc

02-06-2005 09:31:23

[quote76af721458="FreeOffersNow"]Hence the Off-Topic forum and moderators' ability to delete/lock topics....[/quote76af721458]

also, I have stated why I think there should not be post counts, I would like to hear why you guys think that there should be if you voted no.

FreeOffersNow

02-06-2005 09:32:17

[quote1d7a935241="freedesktoppc"][quote1d7a935241="FreeOffersNow"]Hence the Off-Topic forum and moderators' ability to delete/lock topics....[/quote1d7a935241]

also, I have stated why I think there should not be post counts, I would like to hear why you guys think that there should be if you voted no.[/quote1d7a935241]

I voted "no" because it seems to me this post is just a ploy to up your post count...

Stroid

02-06-2005 09:34:35

If anyone wanted that info they could do a search and they would find it. Post count does serve as a way to improve credibility if you mean to tell me a person with a 70 post count has as much credibility as a person with 1000, 2000, or 3000 posts then i have to disagree. Most people with a high post count have gotten what they want and they come back to help and get more things. Being a moderator i can take away posts from people but whats the point. Dont be mad cause you have a low post count.

theysayjump

02-06-2005 09:36:09

[quote539e7b8bbc="freedesktoppc"][quote539e7b8bbc="theysayjump"]its an off topic board....what difference does it make if 6 people say the same thing? if everyone wanted to get their post count up then everyone would be doing that.....i did it as a laugh...i didnt think it was that big of deal...and as FON said if the mods or admin have a problem then they can delete it or lock it.[/quote539e7b8bbc]

but you shat on the thread. What if I actually wanted to read it, or if someone wanted that info in the future, you just made that whole thread garbage with your nonsense.[/quote539e7b8bbc]

well if you wanted to read it or someone else did in the future...the answer is there for them 6 times plain as day.....we should make it a sticky and then nobody else will ask it.

[quote539e7b8bbc="FreeOffersNow"][quote539e7b8bbc="freedesktoppc"][quote539e7b8bbc="FreeOffersNow"]Hence the Off-Topic forum and moderators' ability to delete/lock topics....[/quote539e7b8bbc]

also, I have stated why I think there should not be post counts, I would like to hear why you guys think that there should be if you voted no.[/quote539e7b8bbc]

I voted "no" because it seems to me this post is just a ploy to up your post count...[/quote539e7b8bbc]

litries hard not laughli

freedesktoppc

02-06-2005 09:39:45

[quote8624155d7d="Stroid"]If anyone wanted that info they could do a search and they would find it. Post count does serve as a way to improve credibility if you mean to tell me a person with a 70 post count has as much credibility as a person with 1000, 2000, or 3000 posts then i have to disagree. Most people with a high post count have gotten what they want and they come back to help and get more things. Being a moderator i can take away posts from people but whats the point. Dont be mad cause you have a low post count.[/quote8624155d7d]

I don't care about my post count, I have been here longer than you, I proably have been here longer than most people here. I remember the 1st day that this site launched, and when it used to be at bar-of-soap.com. I have gotten just as much if not more stuff than all of you, I just don't feel a need to post 12 times a day to seem more credible. I only post if I need help, or if I can help in a unique way that nobody else can. I just come here to read and be informed, and I don't like the shit getting in the way. And yes, I do see garbage posts with no purpose other than to raise a post count as shit.

EatChex89

02-06-2005 09:41:10

I personally like the post counts. especially since mine is so high.

freedesktoppc

02-06-2005 09:41:34

[quoteae9ba33c9b="FreeOffersNow"][quoteae9ba33c9b="freedesktoppc"][quoteae9ba33c9b="FreeOffersNow"]Hence the Off-Topic forum and moderators' ability to delete/lock topics....[/quoteae9ba33c9b]

also, I have stated why I think there should not be post counts, I would like to hear why you guys think that there should be if you voted no.[/quoteae9ba33c9b]

I voted "no" because it seems to me this post is just a ploy to up your post count...[/quoteae9ba33c9b]

I don't care about my post count, a mod can reset it to -1000 now for all I care. I am just pissed, and now I have time to do something about it. If i wanted to raise my post count I would comment on every single thread like some other people here.

Stroid

02-06-2005 09:43:48

Stroid
Joined Nov 8, 2004

freedesktoppc
Joined Dec 13, 2004

I wonder what came first. Well i post to help people and cause alot of topics here are interesting. And in my opinion this is a garbage post. If you didnt care about post count why would you make this thread asking to get rid of it.

freedesktoppc

02-06-2005 09:46:14

[quote8e2bd3ac5b="Stroid"]Stroid
Joined Nov 8, 2004

freedesktoppc
Joined Dec 13, 2004

I wonder what came first. Well i post to help people and cause alot of topics here are interesting. And in my opinion this is a garbage post. If you didnt care about post count why would you make this thread asking to get rid of it.[/quote8e2bd3ac5b]

because obviously other people do, and it annoys me. There is no point to it, and it would improve the environment if we got rid of them. You should be posting a lot because you are a mod, but after you gave the definitive answer as a mod, there was no reason for others to pile on. If I remember correctly, I actually only registered on that day because FON was spamming the forums, and I was pissed. So I registered to give him -KM and post.

bballp6699

02-06-2005 09:48:54

Does baby need a bottle?

http//www.cosmicoutfitters.com/images/cry.gif[" alt=""/imgeb642b04b5]

FreeOffersNow

02-06-2005 09:49:14

[quoted1b120164c="freedesktoppc"]I don't care about my post count, a mod can reset it to -1000 now for all I care. I am just pissed, and now I have time to do something about it. If i wanted to raise my post count I would comment on every single thread like some other people here.[/quoted1b120164c]

-1000 would be far too cool for you. And...if I'm not mistaken, everyone that has posted to this topic thus far (other than theysayjump) has been here longer than you.

theysayjump

02-06-2005 09:50:14

yeah it's 30

FreeOffersNow

02-06-2005 09:50:35

[quotead039ce125="freedesktoppc"][quotead039ce125="Stroid"]Stroid
Joined Nov 8, 2004

freedesktoppc
Joined Dec 13, 2004

I wonder what came first. Well i post to help people and cause alot of topics here are interesting. And in my opinion this is a garbage post. If you didnt care about post count why would you make this thread asking to get rid of it.[/quotead039ce125]

because obviously other people do, and it annoys me. There is no point to it, and it would improve the environment if we got rid of them. You should be posting a lot because you are a mod, but after you gave the definitive answer as a mod, there was no reason for others to pile on. If I remember correctly, [bad039ce125]I actually only registered on that day because FON was spamming the forums, and I was pissed. So I registered to give him -KM and post.[/bad039ce125][/quotead039ce125]

Well, if I remember correctly, I only spammed to get you to join...because I thought -KM was good.

Stroid

02-06-2005 09:51:11

so registered to give him -karma and to post. Naturally i post more then others due to me being a mod and if other people mess around relax its all good this is a forum on the internet we are here just to have a good time and grab free gear

freedesktoppc

02-06-2005 09:51:39

[quotefffe07a113="FreeOffersNow"][quotefffe07a113="freedesktoppc"]I don't care about my post count, a mod can reset it to -1000 now for all I care. I am just pissed, and now I have time to do something about it. If i wanted to raise my post count I would comment on every single thread like some other people here.[/quotefffe07a113]

-1000 would be far too cool for you. And...if I'm not mistaken, everyone that has posted to this topic thus far (other than theysayjump) has been here longer than you.[/quotefffe07a113]

remember this (http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?p=36196&highlight=#36196)
[quotefffe07a113]
hacktek
Super Cheap

Posts 1069
Location Miami, FL
Karma 0
Trade Record 0
[TR++ / TR--]
[KMA++ / KMA--]
Initiate trade Posted Fri Dec 17, 2004 911 am Post subject

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hehehe

FFS 8/8 (Finally)
Currently On HOLD for no reason

FreeOffersNow
I Own Noobs!!!

Referral Pimp

Posts 2821
Location New York
Karma 21
Trade Record 22
[TR++ / TR--]
[KMA++ / KMA--]
Initiate trade Posted Fri Dec 17, 2004 209 pm Post subject

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hacktek

Posts 1058

highest post count on the forum? do your keys still have letters on them?

My Forums - Stop by, stay awhile.

freedesktoppc
Regular

Joined 13 Dec 2004
Posts 74

Karma -3
Trade Record 5
[TR++ / TR--]
[KMA++ / KMA--]
Initiate trade Posted Sat Dec 18, 2004 801 pm Post subject Why the hell do you post so much?

FreeOffersNow wrote
hacktek

Posts 1058

highest post count on the forum? do your keys still have letters on them?

Why the hell do you post so much? If you were useful and had good info it would be one thing, but you just say utter bull shit, or just repeat what other people say. While your actual text probably does not deserve to get you a ban, on most other forums people like you are banned. Why do you want so many post counts anyways.

P.s. don't try calling me a stupid noob, cuz I have been on this site (before it was even at this domain) since early July.

[/quotefffe07a113]

ahhh...the good old days when everyone here hated you.

freedesktoppc

02-06-2005 09:53:38

[quoteda29b452b9="FreeOffersNow"][quoteda29b452b9="freedesktoppc"][quoteda29b452b9="Stroid"]Stroid
Joined Nov 8, 2004

freedesktoppc
Joined Dec 13, 2004

I wonder what came first. Well i post to help people and cause alot of topics here are interesting. And in my opinion this is a garbage post. If you didnt care about post count why would you make this thread asking to get rid of it.[/quoteda29b452b9]

because obviously other people do, and it annoys me. There is no point to it, and it would improve the environment if we got rid of them. You should be posting a lot because you are a mod, but after you gave the definitive answer as a mod, there was no reason for others to pile on. If I remember correctly, [bda29b452b9]I actually only registered on that day because FON was spamming the forums, and I was pissed. So I registered to give him -KM and post.[/bda29b452b9][/quoteda29b452b9]

Well, if I remember correctly, I only spammed to get you to join...because I thought -KM was good.[/quoteda29b452b9]

O yes, I also remember when you were so far down in the hole and you begged for -karma in your sign, and then people bumped you back up just to do the opposite of what you said.

FreeOffersNow

02-06-2005 09:54:15

[quoteed677e15e8="freedesktoppc"]ahhh...the good old days when everyone here hated you.[/quoteed677e15e8]

Too bad we all just hate you now...and by the way...you think you've gotten as many, or more, gifts than me? Heh....

theysayjump

02-06-2005 09:55:11

i think im starting to feel some flames.....liloosens tieli

freedesktoppc

02-06-2005 09:55:26

[quote8e54dfab3c="FreeOffersNow"][quote8e54dfab3c="freedesktoppc"]ahhh...the good old days when everyone here hated you.[/quote8e54dfab3c]

Too bad we all just hate you now...and by the way...you think you've gotten as many, or more, gifts than me? Heh....[/quote8e54dfab3c]

the difference is, I don't care if you hate me. Don't you wish that you were a mod? wouldn't you love to give me -500 karma?

FreeOffersNow

02-06-2005 09:57:27

[quote6b846eaf36="freedesktoppc"]O yes, I also remember when you were so far down in the hole and you begged for -karma in your sign, and then people bumped you back up just to do the opposite of what you said.[/quote6b846eaf36]

To be honest with you...I thought -karma was good. Go hit the history books...because while I'm writing it, you're sitting around reading it ;)

/me finds it interesting that 14% of your total post count has been obtained today, in this topic about pointless posts.

Peksim

02-06-2005 09:57:29

Here is my opinion...

I think it is a sign that you are taking your internet life way too seriously, if you start complaining about people trying to "up their post count" in an OT forum.

Really, what distinguishes this thread from other people's "useless" opinions? Have you thought that maybe the reason the people were saying the exact thing was not because they wanted to "Up their post count", but because they want to show that they had the same opinion... that they support the original poster of that idea. Strength of opinion comes in numbers almost as much as who the numbers include. Like voting...

Why do so many people vote... If they have the same idea as someone else, why don't they just remain silent?

Frankly, I want to keep the post count because I want to see all the different stages/ categories. I want a custom title. Do I just post for the stats, no, I think I put a lot of thought (for me) behind most of my posts, if not I post to express my reaction to a topic or post (i.e. “LOL!”). Do I think others post randomly to up their count, I could not care less. In fact, I care more about the destruction of a single blade of grass than I do about why other people have high post counts.

You should not judge a person’s opinion by how many times they post… that is just stupidity. Some of the wisest people I know are silent… (notice I talk a lot) of course maybe that is why they are perceived as wise, they have not opened their mouth and ruined the illusion.

EatChex89

02-06-2005 09:58:09

dude, freedesktoppc. chill

who CARES about the post ocunt. except me. because i like it.

freedesktoppc

02-06-2005 09:59:30

[quoteeb93501e4f="FreeOffersNow"][quoteeb93501e4f="freedesktoppc"]O yes, I also remember when you were so far down in the hole and you begged for -karma in your sign, and then people bumped you back up just to do the opposite of what you said.[/quoteeb93501e4f]

To be honest with you...I thought -karma was good. Go hit the history books...because while I'm writing it, you're sitting around reading it ;)

/me finds it interesting that 14% of your total post count has been obtained today, in this topic about pointless posts.[/quoteeb93501e4f]

Stroid, please removeall of my posts towards my count for today.

freedesktoppc

02-06-2005 10:00:27

[quote09cbf1de67="freedesktoppc"][quote09cbf1de67="FreeOffersNow"][quote09cbf1de67="freedesktoppc"]O yes, I also remember when you were so far down in the hole and you begged for -karma in your sign, and then people bumped you back up just to do the opposite of what you said.[/quote09cbf1de67]

/me finds it interesting that 14% of your total post count has been obtained today, in this topic about pointless posts.[/quote09cbf1de67]

Stroid, please - all my posts for today.[/quote09cbf1de67]

and if you really thought -karma was good, then you are a bigger idiot than i thought. Do you even know what karma means?

Peksim

02-06-2005 10:01:34

[quote8f6c9e3c41="freedesktoppc"]
and if you really thought -karma was good, then you are a bigger idiot than i thought. Do you even know what karma means?[/quote8f6c9e3c41]

Double post and boardering on flame... not good. post statter

freedesktoppc

02-06-2005 10:02:39

[quotea6f75ea386="Peksim"]Here is my opinion...
Have you thought that maybe the reason the people were saying the exact thing was not because they wanted to "Up their post count", but because they want to show that they had the same opinion... that they support the original poster of that idea. Strength of opinion comes in numbers almost as much as who the numbers include. Like voting...

Why do so many people vote... If they have the same idea as someone else, why don't they just remain silent?.[/quotea6f75ea386]

Well, i got no problem with that, but once stroid gave his opinion, there was no need for anyone to say anything anymore.

Stroid

02-06-2005 10:03:11

[quotefc5145f4e9="freedesktoppc"][quotefc5145f4e9="FreeOffersNow"][quotefc5145f4e9="freedesktoppc"]O yes, I also remember when you were so far down in the hole and you begged for -karma in your sign, and then people bumped you back up just to do the opposite of what you said.[/quotefc5145f4e9]

/me finds it interesting that 14% of your total post count has been obtained today, in this topic about pointless posts.[/quotefc5145f4e9]

Stroid, please removeall of my posts towards my count for today.[/quotefc5145f4e9]

You want me to delete all your posts today?

freedesktoppc

02-06-2005 10:04:24

[quote2c3316dd50="Stroid"][quote2c3316dd50="freedesktoppc"][quote2c3316dd50="FreeOffersNow"][quote2c3316dd50="freedesktoppc"]O yes, I also remember when you were so far down in the hole and you begged for -karma in your sign, and then people bumped you back up just to do the opposite of what you said.[/quote2c3316dd50]

/me finds it interesting that 14% of your total post count has been obtained today, in this topic about pointless posts.[/quote2c3316dd50]

Stroid, please removeall of my posts towards my count for today.[/quote2c3316dd50]

You want me to delete all your posts today?[/quote2c3316dd50]

- 15 my post count if you wish, I would like to express my opinion without people accusing me of haveing alterior motives.

FreeOffersNow

02-06-2005 10:05:10

[quoteb97a976227="freedesktoppc"][quoteb97a976227="Peksim"]Here is my opinion...
Have you thought that maybe the reason the people were saying the exact thing was not because they wanted to "Up their post count", but because they want to show that they had the same opinion... that they support the original poster of that idea. Strength of opinion comes in numbers almost as much as who the numbers include. Like voting...

Why do so many people vote... If they have the same idea as someone else, why don't they just remain silent?.[/quoteb97a976227]

Well, i got no problem with that, but once stroid gave his opinion, there was no need for anyone to say anything anymore.[/quoteb97a976227]

So then why are we all here? To read and agree with the almighty opinion of a mod...and thats it? Seriously...do you really think you have a valid argument here? Also...if YOU knew what karma is...you would know that there is good karma and bad karma, which is why I didn't know. Search the forums for topics with people asking what karma is, and if + or - is "good".

Stroid

02-06-2005 10:05:44

i actually cant do that i have to actually delete all your posts and i dont wanna do that. I can ask the admin to remove 15 of your count but who cares its just post count

Peksim

02-06-2005 10:05:57

[quote70c2663937="freedesktoppc"][quote70c2663937="Peksim"]Here is my opinion...

Why do so many people vote... If they have the same idea as someone else, why don't they just remain silent?.[/quote70c2663937]

Well, i got no problem with that, but once stroid gave his opinion, there was no need for anyone to say anything anymore.[/quote70c2663937]

You completely missed the point.

You asked for our opinions, not just the moderator's. Then when others gave their opinion you commented, then they commented... creating the useless posts that you posted about.

Good Karma all depends on what side of the force you are on.

freedesktoppc

02-06-2005 10:10:53

[quote8905d0faf5="Peksim"][quote8905d0faf5="freedesktoppc"][quote8905d0faf5="Peksim"]Here is my opinion...

Why do so many people vote... If they have the same idea as someone else, why don't they just remain silent?.[/quote8905d0faf5]

Well, i got no problem with that, but once stroid gave his opinion, there was no need for anyone to say anything anymore.[/quote8905d0faf5]

You completely missed the point.

You asked for our opinions, not just the moderator's. Then when others gave their opinion you commented, then they commented... creating the useless posts that you posted about.

Good Karma all depends on what side of the force you are on.[/quote8905d0faf5]

this post is asking for an opinion, the other post was asking for a fact. Once the mod states the fact, discussion should be over.

bballp6699

02-06-2005 10:12:52

Wow, some people really have nothing better to do with their time. Unlike me, I'm watching Mathis.. 8)

Peksim

02-06-2005 10:19:49

[quote48f9208d8c="bballp6699"]Wow, some people really have nothing better to do with their time. Unlike me, I'm watching Mathis.. 8)[/quote48f9208d8c]
<------- (at work)

You are right... nothing better to do. Besides, it helps my writing skills.

Welcome to OT Where opinions that should be silenced are expressed.

FreeOffersNow

02-06-2005 10:20:09

[quote746e434662="freedesktoppc"]this post is asking for an opinion, the other post was asking for a fact. Once the mod states the fact, discussion should be over.[/quote746e434662]

And another useless, pointless post...quite ironic. Oh well, because life goes on...really it does.

Stroid

02-06-2005 10:21:48

everyone get there point of view in good thread is now locked

Admin

02-06-2005 10:58:54

I'm actually tempted to remove the post count indicator on all posts because people tend to whore them a lot. I'd leave the title levels up there, though.

Another idea is to cause posts in Off-Topic to linotli count towards your post count, or even have each post count as -1.

I'm unlocking this thread so people can comment on these ideas. As stroid said, the previous topic of this thread has been beat to death so please don't post about it here or I'll have to do something dangerous and hilarious.

theysayjump

02-06-2005 11:04:53

nah i still think it should be kept the way it is. ppl may not know what the titles refer to and the post count is a good indidcator as to the persons participation in this forum.

freedesktoppc

02-06-2005 11:09:14

[quote80d3001090="Admin"]I'm actually tempted to remove the post count indicator on all posts because people tend to whore them a lot. I'd leave the title levels up there, though.

Another idea is to cause posts in Off-Topic to linotli count towards your post count, or even have each post count as -1.

I'm unlocking this thread so people can comment on these ideas. As stroid said, the previous topic of this thread has been beat to death so please don't post about it here or I'll have to do something dangerous and hilarious.[/quote80d3001090]

thank you, that is along the lines of what I was thinking, or limit how many posts a day can count towards post count.

freedesktoppc

02-06-2005 11:09:50

[quotef6fdbde23f="theysayjump"]nah i still think it should be kept the way it is. ppl may not know what the titles refer to and the post count is a good indidcator as to the persons participation in this forum.[/quotef6fdbde23f]

what about CC40 look at his post count, it means nothing.

Stroid

02-06-2005 11:18:04

i disagree people like the post count and that reason alone is good enough for me to keep it

wood

02-06-2005 11:21:41

[quotec2b93e8207="Stroid"]i disagree people like the post count and that reason alone is good enough for me to keep it[/quotec2b93e8207]

Ditto.