What so bad about IE?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=115

Neversky

14-09-2004 10:02:53

Topic^^ I just keep hearing from people that IE sucks and what not... Well... I wanna know why... Sure it has security holes every now and they, but that happens... It also has more functionality then most browsers... I don't see IE fucking up when you complete an offer...

IpodFace

14-09-2004 11:48:18

The major problem is the spyware and security issue, that alone is a reason to switch.

Firefox has an amazing pop up blocker, I haven't seen a pop up in months, it also has an extension to block ads and banners.

The built in Google search bar is nice (yea you can get that for ie also, ie's is bulky though), the extensions for Firefox are so cool.

The ones I use are 'BugMeNot' which lets you go to some sites that require registration without registering, another is some dictionary extension where I can right click any word and click 'define' and a pop up tells me what the word means.

Tab browsing obviously roxxorz.

The browser is standards compliant, when I follow the html 4.01 strict, Xhtml or CSS standards, my site looks fine in Firefox (or any other _decent_ browser) but then since the majority of people use IE, I have to use hacks to make the site look good in IE.. especially the older versions.

It's lean, you need plugins to do most things like get Flash, that's why some people hate it but I think it's better like this because if you don't need a feature, it's not there, you don't just download 50 features if you are only going to use 1..

The browser is open source, fixes come out way before they do for IE.

IE has not been updated in what? 5-6 years now? (not sure if sp2 updates it?)

Firefox has a cool web interface to configure it, by going to aboutconfig

probably some other reasons, can't think of atm.

edit the reason IE doesn't fuck up when you complete an offer is because of what I said about standards, the web designer is an idiot and only tested the site in IE, and it worked perfectly but since IE doesn't follow standards, that same code doesn't work in any other browser.. 84% of people still use IE (most because they don't even know of an alternative), that's why some web designers find it useless follow standards. It's possible to get a site to work in every browser but they just focus on IE.

Zephyr

14-09-2004 12:28:48

I use it because it blocks popups, adware, and spyware, for the tabbed windows and skins, for the fast (and rare) fixes to problems, and for all of the user-created extensions.

And if you come across an occasional site that doesn't work with Firefox, i have an extension that adds "view in IE" to the context (right-click) menu.

Inferno69

14-09-2004 13:59:20

[quoteefac4b07ec="IpodFace"]The major problem is the spyware and security issue, that alone is a reason to switch.

Firefox has an amazing pop up blocker, I haven't seen a pop up in months, it also has an extension to block ads and banners.

The built in Google search bar is nice (yea you can get that for ie also, ie's is bulky though), the extensions for Firefox are so cool.

The ones I use are 'BugMeNot' which lets you go to some sites that require registration without registering, another is some dictionary extension where I can right click any word and click 'define' and a pop up tells me what the word means.

Tab browsing obviously roxxorz.

The browser is standards compliant, when I follow the html 4.01 strict, Xhtml or CSS standards, my site looks fine in Firefox (or any other _decent_ browser) but then since the majority of people use IE, I have to use hacks to make the site look good in IE.. especially the older versions.

It's lean, you need plugins to do most things like get Flash, that's why some people hate it but I think it's better like this because if you don't need a feature, it's not there, you don't just download 50 features if you are only going to use 1..

The browser is open source, fixes come out way before they do for IE.

IE has not been updated in what? 5-6 years now? (not sure if sp2 updates it?)

Firefox has a cool web interface to configure it, by going to aboutconfig

probably some other reasons, can't think of atm.

edit the reason IE doesn't fuck up when you complete an offer is because of what I said about standards, the web designer is an idiot and only tested the site in IE, and it worked perfectly but since IE doesn't follow standards, that same code doesn't work in any other browser.. 84% of people still use IE (most because they don't even know of an alternative), that's why some web designers find it useless follow standards. It's possible to get a site to work in every browser but they just focus on IE.[/quoteefac4b07ec]

That pretty much sumded it up right there. Although I love FireFox so much and it screwed me over when I did an offer ( I didn't get credit...

Avant Browser Pwnes too

Dennis

14-09-2004 18:04:43

I like Firefox better than IE too. I only use IE when Firefox isn't supported at certain sites.

zatch

14-09-2004 18:31:47

http//www.spreadfirefox.com/community/images/affiliates/Banners/468x60/trust.png[" alt=""/img3003a5d339][=http//spreadfirefox.com/community/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=54][img="3003a5d339]http//www.spreadfirefox.com/community/images/affiliates/Banners/468x60/trust.png[" alt=""/img3003a5d339][/url]

shifuimam

14-09-2004 22:58:46

I installed firefox and was relatively impressed, until I noticed it stole all my file extension associations - ALL my image file extensions were associated with FireFox instead of Photoshop, so I reinstalled FireFox to make sure I hadn't missed something...maybe I'm a moron (likey) but fuck that; I hate it when a program steals my file associations.

I use IE for most everything, MSN Premium when I need to use some MSN paid feature, and Opera when IE chokes.

Starfury

15-09-2004 00:41:35

[quote131cdde149="Neversky"]Topic^^ I just keep hearing from people that IE sucks
and what not... Well... I wanna know why... Sure it has security holes every
now and they, but that happens... It also has more functionality then most
browsers... I don't see IE fucking up when you complete an offer...[/quote131cdde149]

Actually I think a better (and TRUE) statement would be IE has (ALOT) LESS
functionality then most browsers.

The only reason the offer things don't work in Firefox is because they're
designed for crappy IE which can only read crappy pages. Firefox cant read
crappy pages designed for IE. )

TheFellatingBeefalo

15-09-2004 08:01:55

[quote778157e145="Starfury"][quote778157e145="Neversky"]Topic^^ I just keep hearing from people that IE sucks
and what not... Well... I wanna know why... Sure it has security holes every
now and they, but that happens... It also has more functionality then most
browsers... I don't see IE fucking up when you complete an offer...[/quote778157e145]

Actually I think a better (and TRUE) statement would be IE has (ALOT) LESS
functionality then most browsers.

The only reason the offer things don't work in Firefox is because they're
designed for crappy IE which can only read crappy pages. Firefox cant read
crappy pages designed for IE. )[/quote778157e145]

Deciding to run IE over Firefox is like choosing a 1976 Ford Pinto over a 2004 Mazda RX-8. I'd rather take the risk of not being able to hit some sites using Firefox, than lose control of my entire machine thanks to IE. D

As someone in the industry, I also can't live without the "Web Developer" plugin for Firefox in order to validate sites, and do diagnostic/QoS work on my client sites/sites for my employer. Most of them are Fortune 500 brokerages, so I can't chance f'ing up their sites.

Firefox has saved me time and time again while IE has continually failed me (and our clients) through endless malicious security holes, incomplete standards support, proprietary extensions to the ECMA specification, and the list goes on and on..

Starfury

16-09-2004 23:04:06

Freeipods needs to make it so their site works right in Firefox

Admin

16-09-2004 23:24:00

Back in the day, the site would hardly load at all in FF. It's actually come a long way. From what I understand, Gratis has someone working on increasing the compatibility of their sites, but it's not easy once everything is built up and all.

Also, that 84% seems a little high! For FiPG, here's the top 10, the number of hits from their browser, and the overall percentages

Internet Explorer
63.99%

Firefox
23.46%

Safari
3.61%

Mozilla
2.38%

Opera
2.12%

AOL
1.80%

Netscape
1.37%

Firebird
0.22%

Crazy Browser
0.17%

Camino
0.15%

To be frank, I've never even heard of some of those. Not as bad as some of the countries, though

Bangladesh
0.00%

Bosnia and Herzegovina
0.00%

Faroe Islands
0.00%

Ascension Island
0.00%