Ipod Covers

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=1149

skyxliner

05-10-2004 01:43:37

http/" alt=""/img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/skyxliner/Other/a1f3ff55.jpg[/imgdbc4fb3939]

does anyone know how good this is?

mapStuart

05-10-2004 08:27:06

That looks to be a Lajo skin for the 3G iPod. Lajo makes excellent skins, although his selection for the 4G iPod is a bit limited right now as they're just ramping up production of units and colors. He has 8 different models for the 4G iPod, most of which have covered wheels (like in your picture) which works very well and gives the best protection of any of the skins on the market. The different models have different silicon thicknesses as well as features such as flip bottoms (for docking ease), flat backs or integrated studs for his superior belt clip.

You can see a comparison of features here
http//202.153.110.46/Xskn/features/4g_ipod.asp

Also a couple resellers who have some stock of the 4G skins are
www.allabouttheaccessories.com
www.ipodxtras.com

If you want to order from lajo's own site (www.lajo.biz) then PM me on how you can save $5 on your first order - but it might be cheapest/quickest to buy from one of the above resellers.

skyxliner

05-10-2004 16:16:42

thanks for the links, but i don't have a 3g ipod like you said its meant for. i'll get the 4g kind

i was wondering more about the durability of these silicon skins (iskins?)

kei

05-10-2004 22:59:13

they're quite durable. you can stretch them and drop them or whatever and they'll still maintain their original shape, though the only bad thing is that they tend to attract dust...

joshg

06-10-2004 08:45:34

Exactly what kei said, and the dust thing is a big annoyance.. it's like a magnet for it. Keep it clean with some special silicone cleaner on a weekly basis and it'll shine like the sun and protect your pod.

btvsrocks

06-10-2004 17:40:54

I just got my Lajo xskn yesterday!

It fits the iPod like a glove, and it seems really protective with 2mm of sillicone.

As for the dust issue, you'd get that prob with most sillicone based skins. Someone suggested putting a WEE bit of talcum powder on it, rubbing it somewhat in... it gets rid of that magnet-for-dust type feel. Also afterwards you can wash it with some soap and water but I didn't do that.

Avenger55

06-10-2004 22:03:08

good to hear btvrocks, my Lajo shipped Monday, hoping to get it soon. D

Auron

07-10-2004 21:20:47

IMO, Iskin is superior to Lajo's xskins. the silicone on the iskin feels nicer and more professional (?) cause theyre a bit firmer, where as the lajo's feel like ... a very soft rubber thing that's quite slippery.

not to mention the clickwheel protector takes some getting used to. it really does impede the use of the clickwheel.

i've had both and i believe that the iskin is superior in all aspects to lajos. if you're anal about clickwheel protect, just buy pda protecter sheets and cut it to cover the wheel under the iskin.

oh, and not to mention the iskin comes with an excelletn hard clear screen cover wheres lajo's are extra money for one, plus they're made of soft plastic that tend to give the screen a "wet" look.

just my 2 cents.

btvsrocks

08-10-2004 21:31:38

[quote22c975bb5b="Auron"]IMO, Iskin is superior to Lajo's xskins. the silicone on the iskin feels nicer and more professional (?) cause theyre a bit firmer, where as the lajo's feel like ... a very soft rubber thing that's quite slippery.

not to mention the clickwheel protector takes some getting used to. it really does impede the use of the clickwheel.

i've had both and i believe that the iskin is superior in all aspects to lajos. if you're anal about clickwheel protect, just buy pda protecter sheets and cut it to cover the wheel under the iskin.

oh, and not to mention the iskin comes with an excelletn hard clear screen cover wheres lajo's are extra money for one, plus they're made of soft plastic that tend to give the screen a "wet" look.

just my 2 cents.[/quote22c975bb5b]

"a very soft rubber thing that's quite slippery"? Slippery? Hardly. The thing is so grippy that I can hold on to the iPod without even really grasping it. It's hard to describe its texture but slippery would definitely not be one of the adjectives I'd use.

As for clickwheel protector, I opted for the uncovered clickwheel only b/c I just didn't want it to impede my touch when using the iPod.

And lastly, you mention the hard clear screen cover VS Lajo's soft plastic one. Funny enough, I was just in Lajo's forums and there was a topic about iSkin's hard screen cover scratching the iPod's screen by accident... I don't remember the exact details but you can go to www.lajo.biz and go to the macool/forums and it was in the 4G forum.

Personally, I'd prefer soft over hard because it obviously does the same job (and both do better protecting against something extreme like contact with a blade of some sort than a mere sheet of plastic like PDA protector sheets) but it is a softer material so therefore wouldn't dent or scratch a soft-ish surface like the screen. And I don't know where you're getting this "wet look" thing from, I am looking at my iPod with the xskn and iShade right now and you can't even tell there's screen protection on there!

ThisSunAlsoRises

08-10-2004 23:21:19

i got a $10 iSkin on ebizzle.

Auron

09-10-2004 12:59:01

maybe not slippery but ... definitely idk . more .. rubberish? it's smoother. i don't like that. i like the texture of the iskin better.

the scratching issue was only on the old iskins, when they didnt have the silicone proctection on the side. they fixed that now.

i'm very happy with my ebony iskin. gave my asphalt xskin to my friend. didnt like it lol.

bburana

02-04-2006 19:02:06

ebay for skins