anyone have ADD/ADHD?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=11199

pSeuDo

09-04-2005 14:58:00

if you do... how did you get diagnosed/ how much did you take/ how long did the process take?

thanks

craigadile

09-04-2005 15:33:36

I'll tell you what bro the people that actually do have ADD read your thread and then about 2/10's of a second later heard a dog bark and then went outside never to think about your post again.

Scarlett

09-04-2005 15:42:19

lol.

pSeuDo

09-04-2005 15:48:34

they arent thaaaat bad

Collateral

09-04-2005 15:58:32

How many kids with ADD does it take to screw in a light bulb?
Wanna ride bikes?

HAHAHAHA sorry X

weez

09-04-2005 16:20:23

See a doctor.

pSeuDo

09-04-2005 16:50:35

[quote5990ddb6fe="weez"]See a doctor.[/quote5990ddb6fe]

that parts obvious, but i meant like... can a normal check-up doctor do it too or do i have to go to psyciatrist?

Quadracer89

09-04-2005 17:33:29

Im pretty sure I have ADHD lol I get easily distracted with stuff.

Legault

09-04-2005 18:33:22

I think the whole think is just bs.
I had a friend who "had ADD', and he was being drugged up for no reason.
He was easily bored at school. That's funny, because so was everybody else, so I guess we all needed to be drugged. lol
Alzheimer's, I'll acknowledge that, because your body will obviously degrade when you get old, but these bastards are saying kids have ADD, and ruining their minds.
Didn't anyone see that South Park episode?
ADD is just another way to dose America, in a legal way. )

hovigga

09-04-2005 19:21:43

Friends of mine have ADD and ADHD.

They dont even take their pills. Crazy kids.

CronoDekar

09-04-2005 19:23:13

ADHD's something that actually exists, it's just way overdiagnosed (particularly in children). A psychiatrist or a clinical psychologist would be the only one who could diagnosis you, and only the former could give you medication. (Well, I suppose anybody with an MD could give you medication, but I'd recommend seeing someone who would actually know something about it -- if you know anyone who goes to a psychiatrist see if they have any recommendations.)

You can find a list of the DSM-IV list of criteria for ADHD here

http//www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/symptom.htm

Though I'd recommend against self-diagnosing yourself -- only use that as a guide and let a professional decide if you have a problem. As far as I know, ADHD is one of those unfortunates that you pretty much need medication to treat, and it's not something that'll go away with treatment, though for many youngsters the problem goes away with time.

oh5srt4

09-04-2005 19:37:02

i don't...but sometimes i gotta wonder roll

pSeuDo

09-04-2005 20:27:02

[quoted7134bfc71="CronoDekar"]ADHD's something that actually exists, it's just way overdiagnosed (particularly in children). A psychiatrist or a clinical psychologist would be the only one who could diagnosis you, and only the former could give you medication. (Well, I suppose anybody with an MD could give you medication, but I'd recommend seeing someone who would actually know something about it -- if you know anyone who goes to a psychiatrist see if they have any recommendations.)

You can find a list of the DSM-IV list of criteria for ADHD here

http//www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/symptom.htm

Though I'd recommend against self-diagnosing yourself -- only use that as a guide and let a professional decide if you have a problem. As far as I know, ADHD is one of those unfortunates that you pretty much need medication to treat, and it's not something that'll go away with treatment, though for many youngsters the problem goes away with time.[/quoted7134bfc71]

thanks +k

Admin

09-04-2005 20:55:08

Asking for medical advice on an internet forum is an exceedingly bad idea. Seeing a doctor is the only good advice there is.

pSeuDo

09-04-2005 20:59:34

the thing was, i didnt know if i should go to my general, check up doc, or a psycologist

PoPoJiJo

09-04-2005 21:56:33

go to your general and he will be able to tell you what to do, you will then have to take a bunch of tests

dmorris68

10-04-2005 07:35:18

Your general will most likely refer you to a psychologist specializing in attention defict disorders to do a bunch of sessions and tests to formally diagnose the condition. That's what family doctor did with our son.

He is almost 21 years old now and was diagnosed with ADHD at 12 years old. For the year or so that he took his medication properly, the improvement was dramatic. Then the whole peer pressure and "uncool" thing kicked in and he quit taking his medication. His grades tanked again and he dropped out near the end of 11th grade - just a little over a year from graduation. Now his life is a wreck, he can't keep a job, and he can't bring himself to get his GED so he can move on. He regretted stopping his medication, but when we helped him get a new prescription he took it for 2 refills then dropped it because it's expensive and he's no longer covered by insurance -- because he can't get or keep a job with benefits.

So while it may be over-diagnosed, it most definitely exists and can be a traumatic life-altering condition if ignored or not properly treated. If you DO have it, do not give in to the temptation to stop medication, even if it is a hassle and your peers give you a hard time about it. Most kids who are treated learn to manage the condition without medication in adulthood, so medication is not a life sentence. Take it while you need it, if you need it.