Apple Store Credit

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=11051

splattered

07-04-2005 14:08:11

I called a local apple store and told them that i got an ipod mini and its unopened and i wanted to get store credit or make an exchange.. they said they typically cannot without a receipt and they could maybe look up the serial number and see where it was purchased to determine if they could even do anything about it... does this sound right?

carpediem

07-04-2005 14:13:59

yeah.........i tried already and got shot down........BIG TIME........maybe if I was a chick and looked like Jessica Alba, maybe then hhhmmmm........Jessica Alba........)

But seriously, I don't know how it worked for everyone else. I'm thinking they just instituted this serial number policy recently bc I can't see how it worked for others and not for me. They told me the serial number was associated with a "reseller" of iPods.

FreeOffersNow

07-04-2005 16:32:27

More than likely Apple caught on...they were giving store credit for the retail value, when the vendor's were buying them for less. Losing money = not good, therefore they implement a new policy (similar to the one already in place at Circuit City).

megacoupe

07-04-2005 16:49:46

I thought you can just go in there and say it was a birthday gift or something. You don't where it came from, but you want to exchange it, upgrade it, get credit, etc.

Do they really make it difficult now?

sweeedfish

07-04-2005 17:07:54

I have returned 2 ipods, one to best buy one to compusa.. no problems at all..

Blink182=Gone

07-04-2005 17:09:28

what do u say to them when u return it?

sweeedfish

07-04-2005 17:11:25

You just go in and say i'd like to return this, I got it as a gift and didn't want this one... then go get whatever you want in the store, and if what you want costs more you pay the difference, if its less you get store credit as well.. not hard at all

FreeOffersNow

07-04-2005 17:32:36

I'm unsure of the policies at Best Buy and CompUSA...but its only "not hard at all" if the store you're trying to return it at either 1) Doesn't have a policy preventing it, or 2) The employee you deal with is incompetent

Most stores don't mind doing it with low-cost items, but once you get over $100, they tend to be a bit more picky.

sweeedfish

07-04-2005 17:35:33

Maybe I've been lucky, I have two gig shuffles I am getting soon that I will be returning as well... we'll see how that goes.

penguin

07-04-2005 21:14:57

[quote7c834ee85b="sweeedfish"]Maybe I've been lucky, I have two gig shuffles I am getting soon that I will be returning as well... we'll see how that goes.[/quote7c834ee85b]

i'm hoping to do that as well. are you going to try to return both shuffles at the same time to the apple store? i already returned 1 20 gig ipod w/ no problem. good thing there are so many apple stores in my area. i'll try returning them to all of them if i have to.

sweeedfish

07-04-2005 21:24:35

We dont have an apple store here in Idaho.. I do it at other stores

Schlotto

08-04-2005 06:45:15

My friend got shot down at Best Buy but only because he got the hp ipod from Gratis and at the time Best Buy only sold those online.

We returned a shuffle to the apple store but did it towards a mini. My wife just said got this as a gift, would rather have a mini. All they asked was how long ago she got it and if she opened it. They never even questioned where it was purchased. They did scan it too and the serial number appears on our exchange slip so the serial number did not trigger them to turn us down.