Now that I have an iPod... some questions.

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=10495

Ethan

01-04-2005 16:31:15

1. I reformat my computer about every 10 months. Will I lose music that I've bought from iTunes every time because of DRM?

2. I'm starting to notice some scratches. What do people recommend to protect my 'pod?

3. What can I use other than iTunes to put songs on my 'pod?

4. Any other cool programs I need?

ashnazg

01-04-2005 16:37:38

[quote53ce3d5405="Ethan"]2. I'm starting to notice some scratches. What do people recommend to protect my 'pod?[/quote53ce3d5405]

www.iskin.com

Full protection, including the screen and click wheel. I just got this case and it kicks serious butt... I'm lovin' it....

Archon810

01-04-2005 17:27:21

[quotecc3a0a2ba3="Ethan"]3. What can I use other than iTunes to put songs on my 'pod?

4. Any other cool programs I need?[/quotecc3a0a2ba3]

lookie here http//www.freeipodguide.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9550&highlight=ugly+itunes

penguin

01-04-2005 17:50:07

[quote199e64d589="Ethan"]2. I'm starting to notice some scratches. What do people recommend to protect my 'pod?[/quote199e64d589]

i have an iskin for my mini and it attracts dust and fuzz like crazy. the clickwheel is exposed and dust seems to get stuck in it sometimes which is annoying. when i get my photo ipod i'm going to try out the lajo[=http//www.lajo.biz]lajo skins which have screen and clickwheel protection. there are lots of threads on the board about cases but it seems like people really like the lajo ones.

xs10shul

01-04-2005 18:34:45

[quotedfc29df126="Ethan"]1. I reformat my computer about every 10 months. Will I lose music that I've bought from iTunes every time because of DRM?[/quotedfc29df126]

From the iTunes help file

"You can listen to music you purchase from the iTunes Music Store on multiple computers. When you play a song you've purchased, your computer becomes "authorized" to play music purchased using your Apple or AOL account. (Authorization is a way to help protect the copyrights on the music.)

Once you authorize five computers to play your music purchases, you can't listen to music you've purchased on a sixth computer until you deauthorize one of the already authorized computers. When you deauthorize a computer, you can't listen to any music that was purchased using your account on that computer. To authorize or deauthorize a computer, your computer needs to be connected to the Internet."

Now... that said, I've [idfc29df126]heard[/idfc29df126] there are programs to remove the protection, but you'll have to make that discovery yourself. )

chillywilly

01-04-2005 19:53:34

[quoteb77bdeee89="Ethan"]1. I reformat my computer about every 10 months. Will I lose music that I've bought from iTunes every time because of DRM?[/quoteb77bdeee89]
Do a google search for the word "jhymn"

I use it and it's the best way to backup your legal iTunes Music Store purchases.

Tholek

01-04-2005 21:22:35

[quote6baa25b00d="ashnazg"][quote6baa25b00d="Ethan"]2. I'm starting to notice some scratches. What do people recommend to protect my 'pod?[/quote6baa25b00d]

www.iskin.com

Full protection, including the screen and click wheel. I just got this case and it kicks serious butt... I'm lovin' it....[/quote6baa25b00d]

Get a lajo[=http//www.lajo.biz]lajo skin. It's the same quality (better in some ways as they offer more features), and a third of the price to boot. ;)

[quote6baa25b00d="penguin"][quote6baa25b00d="Ethan"]2. I'm starting to notice some scratches. What do people recommend to protect my 'pod?[/quote6baa25b00d]

i have an iskin for my mini and it attracts dust and fuzz like crazy. the clickwheel is exposed and dust seems to get stuck in it sometimes which is annoying. when i get my photo ipod i'm going to try out the lajo[=http//www.lajo.biz]lajo skins which have screen and clickwheel protection. there are lots of threads on the board about cases but it seems like people really like the lajo ones.[/quote6baa25b00d]

Lajo skins are the ONLY skins where clickwheel protection is built in. iSkin offers separate covers to insert in their standard skins which cost extra to buy.

As far as dust attraction goes, ALL silicone skins have this, and what you should try is rubbing the skin in baby powder.

It works...

www.lajo.biz

slease

01-04-2005 21:30:37

If you're like me, when you get a gadget you have to find a message board to go along with it. Try www.ipodlounge.com which is a personal favorite of mine, besides reviews on accessories and software you'll find all kinds of helpful ipod hints and a friendly community. I sold my ipod a half year ago because of lack of use but still visit the site from time to time.

Also, I agree lajo makes the best skins and the color choices are great. Shipping time isn't great as the products come straight from China, but browse his products and you'll realize you can't beat what you get for the price. His thinnest cases don't add but 1mm on each side of the ipod so you won't notice a bulk difference. The only drawback to a latex case though is that you might have trouble pocketing it and keeping it lint free.

PodTopia

02-04-2005 09:08:20

I recommend you get the iPodAgent software to sync notes, contacts from Outlook, and RSS feeds to your iPod. When PodTopia's up (my iPod website), there'll be much more advice where that came from.