Suitemates Signing Up Under Me?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=69091

Psyc

05-09-2007 15:59:06

Is it ok if my suitemates sign up under me?

We don't have the same IPs. Only the first few numbers are the same.
Is it ok if they sign up here and use their home addresses instead of the dorm ones?

Captain All That

05-09-2007 22:06:06

Uhm... I would say don't do it.

Psyc

07-09-2007 06:14:26

Any input, Alan?

manOFice

07-09-2007 06:30:36

go to www.ipchicken.com

What are all your ip address's? You're seeing the internal address not the external college address which you all probably have the same one...

dmorris68

07-09-2007 07:47:59

Yeah I don't know how all of you in the same dorm room would have different internet IP's. I'm sure you all go through the same gateway to get out to the internet, therefore you will all have the lisameli public IP. At best you could be routed through a load balancer that assigns from a pool of a few different internet IP's. That said, many sites allow students to join from a shared school IP, but then you also have a common "household" which is not allowed at all.

How are you all going to complete offers with your home addresses? You won't receive the products being tried, so that would be considered offer fraud. And if you attempt to signup under your home addresses, but complete offers from the same dorm address, most advertisers will DQ multiple trials to the same address and report you to the site as fraudsters.

Alan would be the final word, but I can tell you it sounds ill-advised to even think about.

gafdpc

07-09-2007 09:26:41

Not necessarily true with the IPs. At my school, each MAC address is assigned a unique IP for wired ethernet. I could connect my laptop to any ethernet port on campus and still have my unique IP. For wireless, each computer using wireless is assigned a IP from a pool everytime it acquires a lease. Each computer still has a unique IP though.

dmorris68

07-09-2007 09:45:27

[quote21c96e7c8b="gafdpc"]Not necessarily true with the IPs. At my school, each MAC address is assigned a unique IP for wired ethernet. I could connect my laptop to any ethernet port on campus and still have my unique IP. For wireless, each computer using wireless is assigned a IP from a pool everytime it acquires a lease. Each computer still has a unique IP though.[/quote21c96e7c8b]
Unique IP, yes. Of course you'll get a unique IP -- you couldn't be on a TCP/IP network without a unique IP. We're talking lipublicli IP. I can't see every student in a school getting their own unique public IP. That just doesn't happen, there aren't enough public IP's to go around. Not until IPv4 is abolished and IPv6 is the standard.

When you're on a private network behind an internet firewall/gateway, the private IP you get at your PC is NOT the IP you have when you leave the local network and get on the internet. To demonstrate, make note of your "unique" IP you get when you connect to the school network, then browse to http//whatismyip.com or http//ipchicken.com and you'll see it's a different internet IP, which you happen to share with everybody else on your local network. To further illustrate, have a buddy do the same thing -- even though you'll have different internal IP's, you'll have the same internet IP (or at best, you might share from a small pool of internet IP's).

Private IP's fall into the following ranges

Class A 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
Class B 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
Class C 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

If your PC's IP address falls within either of those ranges, it's private and NOT the IP that the remote site detects (unless they go to lengths to parse the HTTP_FORWARDED_FOR headers and such).

manOFice

07-09-2007 10:27:44

[quote8d07fa2b3e="dmorris68"][quote8d07fa2b3e="gafdpc"]Not necessarily true with the IPs. At my school, each MAC address is assigned a unique IP for wired ethernet. I could connect my laptop to any ethernet port on campus and still have my unique IP. For wireless, each computer using wireless is assigned a IP from a pool everytime it acquires a lease. Each computer still has a unique IP though.[/quote8d07fa2b3e]
Unique IP, yes. Of course you'll get a unique IP -- you couldn't be on a TCP/IP network without a unique IP. We're talking lipublicli IP. I can't see every student in a school getting their own unique public IP. That just doesn't happen, there aren't enough public IP's to go around. Not until IPv4 is abolished and IPv6 is the standard.

When you're on a private network behind an internet firewall/gateway, the private IP you get at your PC is NOT the IP you have when you leave the local network and get on the internet. To demonstrate, make note of your "unique" IP you get when you connect to the school network, then browse to http//whatismyip.com or http//ipchicken.com and you'll see it's a different internet IP, which you happen to share with everybody else on your local network. To further illustrate, have a buddy do the same thing -- even though you'll have different internal IP's, you'll have the same internet IP (or at best, you might share from a small pool of internet IP's).

If your PC's IP address falls within either of those ranges, it's private and NOT the IP that the remote site detects (unless they go to lengths to parse the HTTP_FORWARDED_FOR headers and such).[/quote8d07fa2b3e]

yep, heh

gafdpc

07-09-2007 13:05:07

[quote18105b6d1c="manOFice"][quote18105b6d1c="dmorris68"][quote18105b6d1c="gafdpc"]Not necessarily true with the IPs. At my school, each MAC address is assigned a unique IP for wired ethernet. I could connect my laptop to any ethernet port on campus and still have my unique IP. For wireless, each computer using wireless is assigned a IP from a pool everytime it acquires a lease. Each computer still has a unique IP though.[/quote18105b6d1c]

If your PC's IP address falls within either of those ranges, it's private and NOT the IP that the remote site detects (unless they go to lengths to parse the HTTP_FORWARDED_FOR headers and such).[/quote18105b6d1c]

yep, heh[/quote18105b6d1c]

no, heh.

I probably should have been more clear...Every MAC address for an ethernet card gets its own PUBLIC unique IP. Wireless cards get IPs assigned from a PUBLIC IP pool.

These addresses come from 2 class B public ranges owned by the university. Correct me if I'm wrong but that is a little over 130,000 unique PUBLIC ip addresses. Plently for a school of my size.

FYI I consider myself quite knowledgeable about the workings of TCP/IP routing and such. That said, feel free to correct anything inaccurate.

EDIT I wasn't aware but we also own some other random IP ranges (/22s and /24s)

dmorris68

07-09-2007 14:08:03

Which school do you go to??? First I've heard of a school acquiring entire blocks of public IP's for students, such that each student gets their own static public IP. Yes, two entire class B blocks would be 130K IP's. Good grief, there are many ISP's that don't own 130K public IP addresses! There are only 16 full blocks of class B addresses in the world, and your school owns two of them by itself?

Color me corrected then, but I'd have to think that your school is the exception rather than the rule. If not, then there's no wonder we have an IPv4 shortage of addresses! That's wasteful for a school, I would say, since you're all on a common network -- I see no reason to waste that many IP's.

manOFice

07-09-2007 14:09:06

[quote5b616aa087="dmorris68"]Which school do you go to??? First I've heard of a school acquiring entire blocks of public IP's for students, such that each student gets their own static IP. Yes, two entire class B blocks would be 130K IP's. Good grief, there are many ISP's that don't own 130K public IP addresses!

Color me corrected then, but I'd have to say that your school is the exception rather than the rule.[/quote5b616aa087]

I don't believe it...

gafdpc

07-09-2007 14:16:38

I am a student at Princeton. And I am almost positive there are more than 16 full class B blocks (just on intuition though, nothing to back it up). I don't think it is that unusual for a university. We own 140.180.li.li and 128.112.li.li
MIT actually owns a class A (18.li.li.li) if im not incorrect.

I'm in a rush so I can't write any more right now, but I'll have something to back me up later.

dmorris68

07-09-2007 14:48:35

[quotef67655cc93="gafdpc"]I am a student at Princeton. And I am almost positive there are more than 16 full class B blocks (just on intuition though, nothing to back it up). I don't think it is that unusual for a university. We own 140.180.li.li and 128.112.li.li
MIT actually owns a class A (18.li.li.li) if im not incorrect.

I'm in a rush so I can't write any more right now, but I'll have something to back me up later.[/quotef67655cc93]
Well, though prestigious, Princeton is a fairly small school from a student body standpoint. Only about 5K undergrads from what I recall. So that would make more sense I guess than the largest public universities with 50K+ students.

And you're right, there are more than 16 lipublicli class B blocks, there are only 16 liprivateli 16-bit class B blocks. My bad, I guess I was still a bit taken aback by the whole idea of each student getting their own public IP that I failed to look at it from the right angle. lol

Anyway, most schools, like most companies, have a private network of IP's routed through a NAT gateway/firewall. It just makes more sense from an IP conservation standpoint, but it is more of a network management hassle. Princeton being as prestigious and wealthy as they are can afford to buy such large blocks I guess. Now MIT doing so wouldn't come as a big surprise, being both prestigious AND a technical school.

I still say that, given those schools' exclusivity, that this is the exception rather than the rule. Then again the OP didn't indicate which school he goes to either, so who knows, he and his roommates might have their own public IP's after all...

gafdpc

07-09-2007 19:07:38

Yea you are right on just about everything there. I don't know about other schools giving out unique public IPs, but a lot of schools seem to have large IP ranges. I'm too lazy to find definitive proof, but a quick search yields this.

http//www.library.yale.edu/NERLpublic/AFFIP.html[]http//www.library.yale.edu/NERLpublic/AFFIP.html

I have no idea what the purpose of this list is for (something to do with library affiliates), and have no idea on the accuracy or completeness of this list, but it shows a decent amount of schools with full class B public blocks (or multiple).

Psyc

08-09-2007 07:03:33

Wow.

I did go to whatismyip before posting this and that's why I made this thread, because we have different IPs. My school is pretty huge (about 30,000 people on campus) so maybe we do have unique public IPs?

dmorris68

08-09-2007 08:43:29

[quoteb6032dd3ba="Psyc"]Wow.

I did go to whatismyip before posting this and that's why I made this thread, because we have different IPs. My school is pretty huge (about 30,000 people on campus) so maybe we do have unique public IPs?[/quoteb6032dd3ba]
What school? With 30K students, you'd be LESS likely to each have unique IP's, but if you say so...

Man, no wonder we're at a shortage of IP's. A school like Princeton with almost certainly less than 10K people total counting all students and staff, and even allowing for 1000 more IP's for various servers, and you're around 10K-11K IP's needed... and they own over 130K IP's? That makes no sense.

Well, IP issue aside, you still have the household issue I mentioned previously.

gafdpc

08-09-2007 13:14:41

Yea I was wondering that myself. I would say 10-12K for all students, grad students and staff. Plus servers is no more than 15K. I guess its because people have multiple computers. For instance I have two public IPs (laptop, and server/desktop), plus I dip into the pool for wireless quite often.
Plus VPN has its own public pool. I'm sure there are other things I can't think of.

gugi

09-09-2007 01:18:36

My school is 20K and yes they have more than enough blocks of PUBLIC IP to assign to each computer. And they do. So does MIT but it's 10K students, which is smaller.
Of course many research groups have chosen to have their private networks behind one or several IP addresses.
I would assume it depends on the IT departments, resources and may be to some extent on history - those who were early in the game (and not accidentally they also happen to be rich) have secured plenty of public ip's.