Being Cut Off At 5 PM's

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=76307

ryanhn

27-06-2008 22:50:29

Hello,

I understand about the 8 outgoing pm's limit for newbies, but I've yet to actually get that many. I keep getting cut off after only 5. It's just the outgoing pm's that are limited to 8 right? Or am I misunderstanding that?

dmorris68

28-06-2008 10:00:29

It's 8 PM's per 24 hours, and it's been tested and verified far too many times. Every single time someone has complained that they're getting cut off before 8, it has been due to their misunderstanding one of two things

1. The limitation is per 24 hours, not per calendar day. As soon as your 8th prior PM rolls off the 24 hour period, you can send another.

2. The big yellow warning notice is always displayed whether you're at the limit or not. Some think that when they see the notice they can't send more. Not so. The notice is always displayed until your restriction is removed.

When you're truly limited, you will get an error message after attempting to send your 9th PM in 24 hours. I have yet to reproduce an instance where someone is truly blocked before 8 PM's are sent. If you feel certain that you are being blocked prematurely, then PM me and I'll look into it further.

a_wils2010

29-06-2008 21:17:50

I just tried to send my fifth PM ever, and a box appeared at the top of the page that read...

Sorry!

Unfortunately, your PM restrictions prevent you from sending this PM at this time.
Please try your message again later.

I tried sending it again and the same thing happened. I waited 15 minutes and tried again... nothing. I don't know what happened but unless the 8 PM limit includes PMs that you receive, I should not have reached my limit yet. Please look into it.

dmorris68

01-07-2008 18:38:39

[quotee7e0f3cb8f="a_wils2010"]I just tried to send my fifth PM ever, and a box appeared at the top of the page that read...

Sorry!

Unfortunately, your PM restrictions prevent you from sending this PM at this time.

I tried sending it again and the same thing happened. I waited 15 minutes and tried again... nothing. I don't know what happened but unless the 8 PM limit includes PMs that you receive, I should not have reached my limit yet. Please look into it.[/quotee7e0f3cb8f]
Thanks, I did look into it, and finally was able to find a bug that was the most likely culprit. I'm at the beach on vacation this week and just happened to check in and saw this. I made a quick fix that I think should take care of it. However I can't properly test it. Hopefully I didn't make it worse. Let me know (post in this thread if your PM's are broken/blocked) if I broke something or otherwise didn't fix it, and when I get back this weekend I'll try again.

TravMan162

01-07-2008 19:53:13

[quote4a1eee6cdd="dmorris68"][quote4a1eee6cdd="a_wils2010"]I just tried to send my fifth PM ever, and a box appeared at the top of the page that read...

Sorry!

I tried sending it again and the same thing happened. I waited 15 minutes and tried again... nothing. I don't know what happened but unless the 8 PM limit includes PMs that you receive, I should not have reached my limit yet. Please look into it.[/quote4a1eee6cdd]
Thanks, I did look into it, and finally was able to find a bug that was the most likely culprit. I'm at the beach on vacation this week and just happened to check in and saw this. I made a quick fix that I think should take care of it. However I can't properly test it. Hopefully I didn't make it worse. Let me know (post in this thread if your PM's are broken/blocked) if I broke something or otherwise didn't fix it, and when I get back this weekend I'll try again.[/quote4a1eee6cdd]

DMo, do me a favor. Unplug the battery from your laptop, put it in your bag and forget about us till you get back. You work too hard, enjoy the vacation and stop being so responsible for once. You deserve a break. Happy 4th though, be safe D

MrRogersKnowsAll

30-01-2009 21:06:51

Im assuming that the reason behind the PM limit is to avoid spamming. Am I correct in that theory?

dmorris68

31-01-2009 10:26:50

[quoteaa8f00ebc6="MrRogersKnowsAll"]Im assuming that the reason behind the PM limit is to avoid spamming. Am I correct in that theory?[/quoteaa8f00ebc6]
Yes. New members were joining and spamming other members for trades. It became a serious problem last year when were swamped with new PPD members -- our veteran members were inundated with PM's, so the staff decided to implement the restriction.

We don't allow unsolicited trade requests via PM. You can respond via PM to someone's request in their trading thread, but you can't just PM people who haven't explicitly expressed interest in trading.

The restriction will lift automatically based on your activity in the forum. We don't post specifics because some clever members might figure out a way to subvert it. It doesn't take that much really, just post and trade a bit. Even if you don't do that much, the restriction will drop off eventually, it'll just take longer.