need help with pm (admin)

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=76190

IndianKKing

18-06-2008 20:27:14

hey guys i was just asnwring back to people who sent me message but
now i get this message
---------------------------------------------------
As a newer member, you are currently subject to temporary PM restrictions that limit the number of Private Messages you can send to non-staff members to no more than 8 per 24 HOUR period. You may wish to conserve your outgoing PMs during this time.
This restriction will lift automatically after a period of time, at which time this message will no longer appear.
===========================
and i cant even pm any one
its been like that seens 2 days
please help
sorry if this is wrong section to post

doylnea

18-06-2008 20:49:37

http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=74730

bez420

18-06-2008 23:33:29

Yeah sucks don't it. I feel like I've been benched. Hopefully they'll let us play again soon! I think that the more of the forum you participate in, leaving posts, might increase the chance of the restriction being lifted.

I see that you've got a trade record and are still a newbie. I'm wondering how long you have to be a newbie or what you need to do to not be a newbie. Mainly, what it takes to not have a limited amount of pms. I've completed over 20 trades in an other forum (not that it matters). But i've never got into the instant messager thing. So this rule, that wasn't listed with the other rules, has really hurt me.

IndianKKing

19-06-2008 05:25:48

[quote03a05fdd21="bez420"]Yeah sucks don't it. I feel like I've been benched. Hopefully they'll let us play again soon! I think that the more of the forum you participate in, leaving posts, might increase the chance of the restriction being lifted.

I see that you've got a trade record and are still a newbie. I'm wondering how long you have to be a newbie or what you need to do to not be a newbie. Mainly, what it takes to not have a limited amount of pms. I've completed over 20 trades in an other forum (not that it matters). But i've never got into the instant messager thing. So this rule, that wasn't listed with the other rules, has really hurt me.[/quote03a05fdd21]
bez420 i know you from FLR
you got about 19to20 itrader points i guess
i dont know but if you know my user name is IndianKKing ova der
my problem is
its saying that in 24 hrs you will able to send pms
but its been 3 days
and its not working
i am getting offers from people but too bad cuz i cant replay them
i hope admin can look in to this
i am not laying its been more then 24hrs for my pm blocked

dmorris68

19-06-2008 10:06:57

I'm not going to rehash here the reasons for the restrictions and how they work, that is well covered in the topic doylnea linked to above. We had our reasons, which was in the best of everyone rather than a few, and the restriction will stand until we feel it is no longer needed or it needs to be modified.

[quotef2a15930c0="bez420"]I see that you've got a trade record and are still a newbie. I'm wondering how long you have to be a newbie or what you need to do to not be a newbie. Mainly, what it takes to not have a limited amount of pms. I've completed over 20 trades in an other forum (not that it matters). But i've never got into the instant messager thing. So this rule, that wasn't listed with the other rules, has really hurt me.[/quotef2a15930c0]
The "Newbie" title is just something the forum software uses to classify members and is based solely on post count. It has nothing whatsoever to do with TR, length of membership, PM restrictions, or other status on the forum, and is not considered in any decisions regarding access or restrictions. It's just a descriptive title to indicate how much you've posted. As you reach certain postcount thresholds, that title will change automatically. It's really meaningless, but virtually all forums have them.

Regarding this being in the rules...lisighli....again, as discussed on the linked page, this isn't a rule, it's a specific forum functionality. You're plainly notified of the restriction the first time you go to send a PM. We don't list forum functionality in a list of rules, that would be silly. You don't need to be told ahead of time about something that you're notified of the first time you send a PM. It's not like you were surprised only after sending 8 PM's -- the large, obnoxious yellow warning box advising you of this restriction is impossible to miss and was there all along.

[quotef2a15930c0="IndianKKing"]my problem is
but its been 3 days
and its not working
i am not laying its been more then 24hrs for my pm blocked[/quotef2a15930c0]
Nobody else is having this problem. Are you sure you're blocked? Your last PM was from 6/14, and when I run the same query run by the restriction logic, it tells me you have 0 PM's in the last 24 hours (and thus would not be blocked from sending a PM).

Have you actually tried to send a PM today, and it still gave you an error? Or are you just seeing the big yellow notice? The notice doesn't mean you can't send a PM, it's always displayed as a reminder until you're no longer restricted, and then it goes away. You only get an error once you've exceeded the 24 hour PM count (currently eight). Otherwise the PM goes through normally.

I have repeatedly tested this functionality and cannot find any holes in the logic. Every time someone claims it doesn't work, I can't reproduce it and neither can they, and then we find out they were just misunderstanding how it works. I'm virtually certain that's the case here as well, but if you're really getting an error saying you cannot send another PM, let me know. I may have to login with your account and try it for myself to see what's going on, because none of my test accounts have the problem. BTW you can PM me or any other staff members without restriction, those don't count towards your limit.

IndianKKing

19-06-2008 10:21:55

[quoted70727c657="dmorris68"][quoted70727c657="IndianKKing"]my problem is
but its been 3 days
and its not working
i am not laying its been more then 24hrs for my pm blocked[/quoted70727c657]
Nobody else is having this problem. Are you sure you're blocked? Your last PM was from 6/14, and when I run the same query run by the restriction logic, it tells me you have 0 PM's in the last 24 hours (and thus would not be blocked from sending a PM).

Have you actually tried to send a PM today, and it still gave you an error? Or are you just seeing the big yellow notice? The notice doesn't mean you can't send a PM, it's always displayed as a reminder until you're no longer restricted, and then it goes away. You only get an error once you've exceeded the 24 hour PM count (currently eight). Otherwise the PM goes through normally.

I have repeatedly tested this functionality and cannot find any holes in the logic. Every time someone claims it doesn't work, I can't reproduce it and neither can they, and then we find out they were just misunderstanding how it works. I'm virtually certain that's the case here as well, but if you're really getting an error saying you cannot send another PM, let me know. I may have to login with your account and try it for myself to see what's going on, because none of my test accounts have the problem. BTW you can PM me or any other staff members without restriction, those don't count towards your limit.[/quoted70727c657]

hey thanks lot
i misunderstood when i saw the yellow box i was like i cant pm anyone
so i didnt
but its working thanks you can lock or delete this thread if you want
thanks again for your help

bez420

19-06-2008 15:38:37

Well damn it I guess its my fault for not sending out pms the last couple of days. I just thought that I was still not able to send pms because I saw the big yellow banner. Never actually tried to send one out. Thanks for describing it in better detail!