How long should I wait to escalate my Paypal dispute to a cl

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=73241

level99

25-01-2008 14:05:30

I was scammed out of $50 and I just filed a dispute with Paypal. I Just did it within the past hour, so the scammer has not responded yet. I am given the option to discontinue communication with the scammer and escalate the dispute to a claim. How long should I wait before I escalate it? The last time this happened, I guess I waited too long because even though I won the claim, the guy emptied his Paypal account before I could be refunded. I really don't want this to happen again as $50 is a pretty big loss for me.

laurelwm

26-01-2008 10:27:04

I believe PayPal requires you to wait a certain number of days before you can escalate, so as to give the other party a chance to respond. But I would recommend staying on top of it.

level99

26-01-2008 14:17:15

[quote685d5c105e="laurelwm"]I believe PayPal requires you to wait a certain number of days before you can escalate, so as to give the other party a chance to respond. But I would recommend staying on top of it.[/quote685d5c105e]

Thanks! Yea, I am checking up on it constantly. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens.

cerivas

26-01-2008 14:39:40

you can escalate the claim at any time. Just click on END COMMUNICATION (or something similar to that) add the reason and the case will be escalated

level99

26-01-2008 14:42:58

I just logged into Paypal and I can escalate it at any time, they just recommend giving the other party a chance to respond and make good. If I escalate it, Paypal decides weather I should be refunded or not. Should I wait for him to respond even though he was banned from here for being a scammer? Or would it be better to escalate it right away and hope Paypal takes my side?

level99

26-01-2008 14:44:35

[quote76d56cc460="cerivas"]you can escalate the claim at any time. Just click on END COMMUNICATION (or something similar to that) add the reason and the case will be escalated[/quote76d56cc460]

Thanks, I was typing as you responded. Do you think I should escalate it right away?

cerivas

27-01-2008 16:40:41

yeah, do it as soon as you can, if he/she was banned for being a scammer then what is the probability that he/she will refund your money?

tucker1003

01-02-2008 19:17:39

I haven't had to escalate a claim yet, but I've been scammed (who hasn't). Does anyone else add some thing like this in the notes section of the paypal transaction? THis is my Paypal policy which is copied in every transaction. I don't see how Paypal can't side with me if I escalate.

SITE
YOUR EMAIL USED
YOUR USERNAME on FORUM
PAYPAL REFUND POLICY!
This payment is in advance or for you turning green on the given site. If for some reason you turn RED on the site this payment is forfeited and will require a refund. I’m not responsible for any reason why you may turn RED that is solely upon the sites administrators. Refund must be made within 14 days of first notice otherwise you will be reported to the forum and paypal will be contacted. After I pay you on green I wait a few days and then I verify with the site your status.

biochem411

04-02-2008 16:49:00

I escalate to a claim right away because very few of these people actually respond. Even if you do win the claim, PayPal lets them take their money out of their account in the meantime and you get nothing x