Paypal Debit, credit cards, and bank debit cards.

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=70780

Chocolate Lab

28-10-2007 14:36:18

Hi everyone, I have searched all the newbie threads before posting this question ...

I have ordered and am awaiting my Paypal debit card.

Since we are paid directly to our Paypal account, can I use my Paypal debit card to pay for the offers I sign up for?

In other words, I had originally intended to use my bank debit card or credit card for charges, while taking payments into Paypal. Wouldn't it be easier to use my Paypal for all debits and credits?

Thanks for listening.
Susan

8)

[id077405090]btw, I loaded my avatar, but it isn't showing up on the left side of the page. Does it take time to update before it shows?[/id077405090]

jwwws

28-10-2007 15:25:29

Yes, you can use your PayPal debit card for anything as long as the merchant accepts MasterCard.

laurelwm

29-10-2007 05:35:37

What I have done all along is use my PayPal Debit Card for all of my offers. I have intentionally NOT backed up my debit card with any alternate funding. I am careful to always have enough balance for legitimate charges, but since I don't maintain a large balance, the couple of times that companies have attempted to charge me for unauthorized amounts, it was denied. Easier than fighting with a CC company to reverse charges, and if they do get one through on PayPal, I have had success with the PayPal dispute process.

Works for me.

Laurel

samz465

29-10-2007 12:18:12

Is that even possible?
I thought it requires you to have some sort of backup funding.
Maybe I'm wrong.

jwwws

29-10-2007 12:48:23

[quote7e74e5fe0a="samz465"]Is that even possible?
I thought it requires you to have some sort of backup funding.
Maybe I'm wrong.[/quote7e74e5fe0a]
Yeah, I thought I needed to have a backup funding source when I received my Premier PayPal Debit MasterCard.

dmorris68

29-10-2007 13:52:25

No, backup funding is not required. You can enable/disable backup funding at will in your PayPal profile.

However intentionally not providing backup funding could be considered tantamount to terms violation according to some sites and/or sponsor terms that forbid giftcards, because it's no different than a fixed-value giftcard at that point. If you don't have enough funds there to allow for "illegitimate" charges, how do you have enough to cover those offers you should be keeping? Promoting such use of the PayPal debit card is liable to get its use banned just like giftcards have been banned at some sites/networks/affiliates.

Credit cards remain the optimum method for offer completion. If your PayPal or bank account IS debited fraudulently, you're out REAL MONEY unless/until a dispute is settled in your favor. With a CC, you're not out anything for a fraudulent charge.

Chocolate Lab

29-10-2007 13:56:00

My Paypal account is associated with my bank account. I added funds from bank to Paypal when I first set it up.
Then I thought, why not just apply all debits and credits to just the Paypal account?

My intention was simply to make the process easier for me.
So, as long as I am backed up into my bank account, this will not be considered a violation of the terms, I hope?

Susan

CollidgeGraduit

29-10-2007 14:01:12

If you're really lithatli poor, I wouldn't recommend pursuing freebie sites, especially as an income. If you're poor, then you obvious aren't legitimately trying out new services (or if you are, I'd have to question your money management). If you're doing offers just to make money, you're not legitimately interested in them, and that's considered fraud. Just something to think about...

Chocolate Lab

29-10-2007 14:21:34

This is why I tried to read all of the rules posts before asking this question. I wanted to make sure that not only was I not breaking any rules, but I also was not giving the perception of anything shady.

Thanks for the feedback as always.

Susan

manOFice

29-10-2007 14:52:54

Gosh that dog is cute =P

laurelwm

30-10-2007 16:21:54

[quote776e7c22ee="dmorris68"]No, backup funding is not required. You can enable/disable backup funding at will in your PayPal profile.

However intentionally not providing backup funding could be considered tantamount to terms violation according to some sites and/or sponsor terms that forbid giftcards, because it's no different than a fixed-value giftcard at that point. If you don't have enough funds there to allow for "illegitimate" charges, how do you have enough to cover those offers you should be keeping? Promoting such use of the PayPal debit card is liable to get its use banned just like giftcards have been banned at some sites/networks/affiliates.
[/quote776e7c22ee]

How would that be different than my bank Debit card being overdrawn or my CC being maxed out?? I am very careful to keep an adequate amount of $$ in my PayPal to cover all legitimate charges, but a few months ago I had TWO different companies trying to take hundreds of $$ after I had canceled products I was very unhappy with, and using my PayPal card prevented them from getting my money. Even if your credit card eventually credits you for it, your available credit is tied up in the meantime.

Just my opinion........
Laurel

dmorris68

30-10-2007 18:18:12

[quoteee4a68516e="laurelwm"][quoteee4a68516e="dmorris68"]No, backup funding is not required. You can enable/disable backup funding at will in your PayPal profile.

[/quoteee4a68516e]

How would that be different than my bank Debit card being overdrawn or my CC being maxed out?? I am very careful to keep an adequate amount of $$ in my PayPal to cover all legitimate charges, but a few months ago I had TWO different companies trying to take hundreds of $$ after I had canceled products I was very unhappy with, and using my PayPal card prevented them from getting my money. Even if your credit card eventually credits you for it, your available credit is tied up in the meantime.

Just my opinion........
Laurel[/quoteee4a68516e]
It's not different, really -- but if your bank account is overdrawn or your CC is maxed, then you really have no business doing these offers in the first place. You should be managing your money better and using it more wisely. Completing offers when you know you don't have funds to cover future charges, and taking advantage of that fact, is no less fraudulent than those who use nickel & dime giftcards to complete offers. So your argument doesn't hold water.

As we've tried to reiterate to newbies who think this freebie stuff is something to make a quick buck when you're broke and down on your luck... don't do it. This isn't a risk-free game, and if you aren't in a position to accept the minimal amount of risk involved, then you shouldn't be playing. It's akin to a poverty stricken single mom who can't pay the bills yet pays $20 a week for lottery tickets in the hope of a windfall. Dumb.

Bottom line is, using any sort of payment method that would deprive sponsors of legitimate future charges -- regardless of the [iee4a68516e]possibility[/iee4a68516e] of a fraudulent charge -- is considered fraud. You can thank the countless number of offer scammers and lazy freeloaders who abused giftcards for that very purpose -- after all, it's easier to use a GC with just enough funds to cover the trial costs, and then forget about the hassle of canceling or putting forth any other effort.

cashssw

02-11-2007 19:30:20

No, But I must agree with laurelwm. Just now I completed the Yahoo Success Offer and it says it charges me 1.95.

Wrong. When I checked my account online, it says..11 dollars. Rip off. This is exactly why I think pre paid should not be banned.

Yesterday, I tried to make purchases with a card for google, quickbook or whatever it is called. It said payment declined...BUT still charged me. I lost 27 dollars. What can you say to that? I used a card linked to my account but now I better go back to the bank and inform them of what happened. Especially the 27 dollars. I lost 37 in just two days after trying to be fair. But if thee scamming cheaters will not be honest and rip off people, it is obvious why people would want to use pre paid gift cards.

As companies that value its customers, maybe they should just consider that. I am not happy when I am paying 37 dollars for something that should have cost maybe 8 or 9 dollars.

Just my two cents.

skepticalcynic

04-11-2007 19:58:19

Prepaid is banned for 2 reasons

1 - If you default on your agreement to the company you're purchasing from, there is no way to track you down and make you pay your debt.

2 - When you sign up for an offer, you are signing a legal contract. You cannot legally sign a contract if you cannot provide proof of your identity and legal right to enter into a contract. Prepaid allows for no such verification, which means that even a 10-year old could complete an offer and the companies would never know it. And in a case where the person signing is not legally allowed to enter contracts, the company loses money and can't do anything about it.

[How would you feel if you sold someone your car and signed a contract that the person would take the car and come pay for it next week, only to find out the following week that the person was 17-years old and didn't have to pay you or give your car back?]

I would bet my life savings that on offers requiring an outright purchase, the companies would be more than happy to take a prepaid card (if the site would allow it) because they'd have your money and wouldn't need to bother about you after they ship the product.

Blink182=Gone

06-11-2007 15:36:53

lets all be honest, the primary reason most companies want credit cards is so that you will hopefully forget about your "trial" and they can charge you. Many other companies (especially the ones that don't accept prepaid giftcards) are the ones that are usually dishonest.

There have been multiple times where I have completed an offer that is to charge me $3 and the credit card fraud department calls me seconds later to verify two $40 charges in addition to the $3 charge. And no, they were not "temporary" charges, that was my first question I asked the agent. The freebie scene is becoming more and more fraudulent nowadays, if you haven't noticed. x

Persephone

06-11-2007 19:52:25

I have been here for quite sometime now, however, this is my first post...

I have been into this whole freebies scene since latter end of Sept. and I have had happen to me, more that once, gotten charged for orders that I have indeed canceled! (

I was overdrawn almost $70 at the end of last months cycle, I am on SSI and for those of you who don't know what that is, it is Supplemental Security Income, I am disabled and unable to hold down what would be called a 'conventional' job.

Now, with that said, I am, and STILL, looking for lihonestli work from home, needless to say, been at it for about 3 years now, and, well, trust me, IT'S HARD TO COME BY!!! I'm STILL waiting.....and waiting....and waiting... evil

I wanted to see if I could make a go of this, I started out as doing offers for others, in my zeal to make some much-needed cash...I did offer after offer after offer, till now, I have done just about ALL of them.

So, I get charged and charged and charged, and had to cancel and cancel and cancel..... twisted

Anyway, I learned a valuable lesson, well several, but the most valuable, to me was 1.) take your time, don't do offers till there is no more to do and, 2.) IF you have a PayPal Debit card----DO NOT LINK IT TO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT!!!! I am getting ready to do THAT right now,,.,,,

And, I agree whole-heartedly that the prepaid cards should have NEVER, EVER been banned.....think of the overdrafts and such and the general headaches this could have saved ALL of us.. !

But, they no longer allow them, so, so be it...

I am now 100% into the Paying for Refs deal now, alas, I am having to payout ON APPROVAL as I do not have enough $$$$ in my PP account to pay out just when someone goes Green, I have tried this on one other site, needless to say, it IS NOT going over very well.....

When you see others paying out $75 and up to 67% of their profit to you to go green for them, how are we newbies "supposed" to compete with "that"?!!??!?! x

I have been offering to pay $10 on green, but that is such small fry to folks that they just move on....

Oh, one last rant 'fore I go...

Has anybody ever noticed that when YOU are the one DOIN the Offers that you usually end up spending out WAAAYYYYY more than ya make!??!?!?

Just some thoughts...

Persy...