IP addresses: In rural areas; Resolution?; Avoidance?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=69958

skepticalcynic

02-10-2007 06:07:24

Please don't shoot me! I did look through all the IP address topics I could find before starting this thread. None of them cover this particular info...

I live in a very rural area of North Florida. I have DSL through the phone company. I just found out that the IP addresses in my area all originate in the closest urban area, which happens to be about 50 miles away in Alachua. Based on that information, I would guess that all the rural areas in a radius of at least 50 miles have IP addresses from Alachua. Plus you have Gainesville right there, too, home of the University of Florida.

Given that, I can see where I would have a duplicate IP address problem with Primo. I have submitted a support ticket asking if the situation can be cleared up by submitting proof of identity and address, but I'm not sure they will respond.

So.... What can be done? Is it possible to get a static IP address without using a proxy? Is there anything I can do to resolve these kinds of problems when they occur? Or do I just cross my fingers and hope it doesn't happen again?

I thought I knew how to avoid IP address issues, but I was clearly wrong...

manOFice

02-10-2007 06:27:34

[quote9c175fdcdd="skepticalcynic"]Please don't shoot me! I did look through all the IP address topics I could find before starting this thread. None of them cover this particular info...

I live in a very rural area of North Florida. I have DSL through the phone company. I just found out that the IP addresses in my area all originate in the closest urban area, which happens to be about 50 miles away in Alachua. Based on that information, I would guess that all the rural areas in a radius of at least 50 miles have IP addresses from Alachua. Plus you have Gainesville right there, too, home of the University of Florida.

Given that, I can see where I would have a duplicate IP address problem with Primo. I have submitted a support ticket asking if the situation can be cleared up by submitting proof of identity and address, but I'm not sure they will respond.

So.... What can be done? Is it possible to get a static IP address without using a proxy? Is there anything I can do to resolve these kinds of problems when they occur? Or do I just cross my fingers and hope it doesn't happen again?

I thought I knew how to avoid IP address issues, but I was clearly wrong...[/quote9c175fdcdd]

So someone put you on hold for dupe ip addresses? Something doesn't sound right... do they know who you are?

dmorris68

02-10-2007 06:30:39

I don't understand the concern? This is the case with virtually every residential ISP. Everywhere. Most ISP IP's will geolocate to the nearest major urban area. That's always been the case. Getting a static IP won't change that either, unless you just happen to luck out with a static IP that geolocates to your city -- but that isn't guaranteed to remain consistent, because IP's are shuffled and re-registered all the time.

My former DSL ISP was headquartered out of Arkansas, which is like 3-4 states west of me. Sometimes my IP would geolocate to Little Rock, sometimes to my city, and sometimes to a neighboring city about 30 miles south of here.

Dynamic IP's have always run the risk of being duplicated with freebie sites, particularly as freebie sites become more and more accepted and popular amongst the general public. That's why I've always stressed that IP alone is not a reliable indicator of fraud, and most site owners (I hope) and anti-fraud scripts understand that. Fraud detection is a lot more complex than just comparing IP's. Duplicate IP's should be nothing more than a filter to draw additional scrutiny to those accounts, and some basic analysis will usually make it obvious whether the dupe is due to fraud or just IP reassignment.

EDIT I just saw your problem with PrimoDinero putting you on hold for duplicate IP. At least now I understand why you're asking. Given their reputation lately, I'd probably have to call bunk -- it sounds like an excuse to pay out as little as they can. But then again, I'm not privy to what other information they might have (if any) to go along with the IP to support their claim. If they're just looking at IP alone and not investigating both accounts further, then they're not being diligent.

skepticalcynic

02-10-2007 09:21:33

Now you can see why I'm frustrated. And no, I've never had any problems with any other freebie sites. Included in the information Primodinero gave me was the date of the duplication 5-25-07. My first thought was why are they waiting until now - convenient timing.

So how could I go about resolving the issue?

[quote8a8153a4ad="manOFice"]Something doesn't sound right... do they know who you are?[/quote8a8153a4ad]
They know I'm a customer to whom they owe $450.

David - I appreciate your insight. It's reassuring to know that I'm not going to randomly go on hold for this issue on most reputable sites.

DIABLO

02-10-2007 12:47:33

Some genius noob that came in started telling people that multiple IPs for one person is bad, and there are a lot of not so computer literate people on here running sites that think it is bad, even though it happens to almost everybody. There's absolutley no reason for it, I know a few other noob-run sites do this too, with Primo I'm not sure if it's because they got the wrong info or just don't want to pay out. It's totally stupid to put somebody on hold for something that is completely out of their control, and it's not even a sign of anything bad, but thanks to some genius that decided to say it was, it's in the TOS of most of the new sites coming up. Hopefully the admins can ban him from here if he doesn't take you off of hold, it's like DQing somebody for logging into the site too many times, it just doesn't make sense and it's just a way for the site to scam money out of clueless users that can't control it.

skepticalcynic

02-10-2007 13:09:19

Well, considering he's supposedly no longer visiting the forums and claims to have no more use for referral traders, I don't think a ban would do much good at this point.

I'm just SO frustrated about all this!!

skepticalcynic

05-10-2007 06:44:01

Well, I got a reply to my support ticket. Here's the pasted version of the "conversation"...

[quote8c283aba64]Support Ticket question
I looked up the IP addresses you provided and the one I'm using now and it seems they all show a location of Alachua, which is probably the closest urban area to where I live. So I can understand now how that could happen. My question is, is there any way to rectify the situation? For example, myself and the other user provided both proof of identity and proof of address.
10-02-2007 726 AM

Reply from email==support@primodinero.comsupport@primodinero.com=support@primodinero.comsupport@primodinero.com/email
We did want to respond to you in a timely manner, however, we have not made a decision on what we are going to do about this situation. We do like your idea, but that does not eliminate the IP address issue.
10-03-2007 504 PM[/quote8c283aba64]

At least they're communicating with me. There's a whole lot to be said for that...

manOFice

05-10-2007 07:28:46

[quote243669f292="skepticalcynic"]Well, I got a reply to my support ticket. Here's the pasted version of the "conversation"...

[quote243669f292]Support Ticket question
I looked up the IP addresses you provided and the one I'm using now and it seems they all show a location of Alachua, which is probably the closest urban area to where I live. So I can understand now how that could happen. My question is, is there any way to rectify the situation? For example, myself and the other user provided both proof of identity and proof of address.
10-02-2007 726 AM

Reply from email==support@primodinero.comsupport@primodinero.com=support@primodinero.comsupport@primodinero.com/email
We did want to respond to you in a timely manner, however, we have not made a decision on what we are going to do about this situation. We do like your idea, but that does not eliminate the IP address issue.
10-03-2007 504 PM[/quote243669f292]

At least they're communicating with me. There's a whole lot to be said for that...[/quote243669f292]

Stall tactics...

Taurus-Matt

12-10-2007 12:54:27

Stall tactics is right...!! ... 8)

theman2005

12-10-2007 14:28:17

They have different tactics alright..................

They did that to me but I was able to argue my case.

Comes in all flavors
The ip conflict stall, the supposed offer fraud stall, the "get your attention" stall, the "we have no money" stall, the "we now have to wait 15+ days because of a held up check" stall, the "you'll be paid next month" stall, the "you look suspicous" (with no supporting evidence) stall........ the list goes on.....

sandra habina

14-10-2007 18:11:11

Would getting statements from the other networks you have done help to prove your honestly and integrity? - Skepticalcynic
Just a thought dear.

I would think the proper id would be enough information for them to remove the hold. I do hope this goes in your favor.