What to do after being scammed?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=68334

cubbieco

18-08-2007 12:28:32

Has anybody gotten anywhere with a scammer after they are banned from here? In the past I've been lucky enough to be scammed early that they weren't disappearing yet so I've been refunded. Not this time. Paypal is useless. Unless I send a subpoena they won't release any personal information. I'm not going to go to the police and say I've been scammed out of $20 will you please spend $500+ in salary and wasted time trying to get me justice? A small claims proceeding would cost me $50 to initiate, then I could get a subpoena, but I'd need to refile in their jurisdiction which would mean paying for a trip to wherever. The paypal resolution system is useless when there is nothing tangable involved.

Of course I have their email, but that won't do much except create one more message for them to delete.

I did use a credit card to send the paypal, but I'm worried that paypal will fight a chargeback if I issue one.

Anybody have any experience? I would like to hear what did work as well as what didn't work for you.

Thanks.

JayKanish

18-08-2007 14:59:43

Open a paypal claim. Explain the situation. A lot of people have been refunded by paypal before for stuff like this. If they don't refund it then fight it through your charge card. That way paypal has to prove that the payment was legit and your claim wasn't.

biochem411

22-08-2007 15:11:53

I've had a lot of luck with the PayPal claims system. Basically you just have to say that you didn't receive what you paid for. You can also send PayPal "money requests" to whatever email addresses you have of theirs.

gmario

23-08-2007 11:51:52

[quoteb5dbcd5949="JayKanish"]Open a paypal claim. Explain the situation. A lot of people have been refunded by paypal before for stuff like this. If they don't refund it then fight it through your charge card. That way paypal has to prove that the payment was legit and your claim wasn't.[/quoteb5dbcd5949]

Usually opening to many claims can get paypal to look into your account an then freeze it. cry

dmorris68

23-08-2007 11:54:44

[quote62a236dc79="gmario"][quote62a236dc79="JayKanish"]Open a paypal claim. Explain the situation. A lot of people have been refunded by paypal before for stuff like this. If they don't refund it then fight it through your charge card. That way paypal has to prove that the payment was legit and your claim wasn't.[/quote62a236dc79]

Usually opening to many claims can get paypal to look into your account an then freeze it. cry[/quote62a236dc79]
Not only that, but disputing with your CC to override a PayPal denial of claim will ALSO very likely lead to a frozen/revoked PayPal account. They warn of that in their terms, where they state that by opening an account, you agree to abide by their dispute decisions.

kelbypayday

24-08-2007 11:01:05

This doesnt sound to promising. Are you saying you can only open a few claims or else paypal will freeze your account?

dmorris68

24-08-2007 11:04:36

[quote3eb6bb2061="kelbypayday"]This doesnt sound to promising. Are you saying you can only open a few claims or else paypal will freeze your account?[/quote3eb6bb2061]
There isn't a hard limit, but if abused or done to excess I'm sure they would take action, especially for this same type of transaction over and over. PayPal already gives the freebie industry a hard time as it is.

sandra habina

30-08-2007 19:51:27

I have opened a few claims and have always won the decision - problem is -these scammers pull the money out fast - so you win but you do not get refunded most of the time.

And I would be careful about disputing Paypal and the credit card charge back. Follow their rules - they can be funky.