Suggestion about post counts

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=67261

DIABLO

26-07-2007 11:28:30

My suggestion is that you don't have posts in the brag bag count towards a user's post count. I seen a ton of people that post "Nice" in every single thread there is, and they have 600+ posts and less than 50 real posts. In my opinion, it makes them look like they've been on here forever and wouldn't ever scam anybody, but somebody with 50 posts and 2-3 TR wouldn't have that kind of trust, but once that post count goes up to a few hundred they get a lot of trust that they shouldn't be getting, because it just makes newbs think they can trust them when they really shouldn't trust them that much. I'm not going to mention names, but if you want some PM me. Please reply with feedback and your opinions on this.

jeagle82

26-07-2007 11:30:42

I actually fully agree with Diablo here. I see this happening almost every hour on the hour! It artificially inflates members' Post Counts.

Margot530

26-07-2007 19:31:17

I'm on the fence here, as the people that make the original post, are doing the rest of us a service...I do post occasionally there, but not that often to make me feel at all guilty, and generally try to make some kind of constructive comment, but not always.

It feels good to congratulate people for their efforts, but here I agree with you...the simple replies that happen over and over by the same people...great, congrats, nice, etc...do make me feel a bit bad for getting credit for. And seeing people pete and repeat that, yeah seems like they are just out for the post counts but, even many, but not all of them are so active anyway...

For sure those that post the original should get the count.

Margot wink

laurelwm

27-07-2007 06:17:50

Actually, I agree here. Now that the Trading Post doesn't count, this seems to be the biggest way some people are inflating their post count.

Mods, what do you think????

tylerc

27-07-2007 06:50:24

Nice! Congrats.

moviemadnessman

27-07-2007 06:51:46

I thought I had seen a thread about this before ... and then I also found the reason why they still count. Enjoy!

http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?p=627005#627005

gator1002

27-07-2007 09:48:06

Leave it to MMM to find all the old posts. Good job. I guess that clears it up for us all. (Fred)

DIABLO

27-07-2007 11:25:39

[quote9ca1de4024="Admin"]in my mind brag bag is a "discussion" forum and post count is (theoretically) a liveryli rough indicator of how much somebody contributes to discussions. as you're not really even allowed to have discussions in the trading post, it was sensible to have them not count.[/quote9ca1de4024]

That's the answer? Well if they were having discussions that would be different. Somebody posting "Congrats" or "Cool" 500 times isn't really contributing to the forum, it's just giving them false creditbility.

Tylerc - lmao

dmorris68

27-07-2007 11:49:37

DIABLO, the problem is we aren't going to go and code something that analyzes the post content and determines based on word count or dictionary lookup what constitutes a post worthy of counting or not. Legitimate discussion occurs in the Brag Bag, so there's no point in not recognizing that just because some idiots are inflating their PC. IF we have to start enforcing it like we did with friendly bumps and PM spam, then we'll do so. We can't code for every possible scenario guys -- our forum is already bursting at the seams with custom mods as it is, not to mention we have more important work lined up to do already. Sometimes it's easier to handle things the old fashioned way.

sandra habina

27-07-2007 18:04:28

I thought that the brag bag was just that - a place to tell us what prize you received and by whom. This gives other traders a chance to know which sites are working fast and well for us. I thought it was a friendly gesture to congratulate these hard working traders, I did not know that we needed to discuss the whole deal?
And I thought that TR was a good way to judge a traders' creditability along with their Karma points. I personally always check TR first not posts. Ok guys, I will contribute more to the posts than just a congratulations on their brag. Sorry

CollidgeGraduit

27-07-2007 19:35:59

The solution is to not put much stock in post count, not expect some complex forum mods to decide which posts/forums should count towards post count.

babetran

31-07-2007 12:34:49

[quotef7f20ae369="DIABLO"][quotef7f20ae369="Admin"]in my mind brag bag is a "discussion" forum and post count is (theoretically) a liveryli rough indicator of how much somebody contributes to discussions. as you're not really even allowed to have discussions in the trading post, it was sensible to have them not count.[/quotef7f20ae369]

That's the answer? Well if they were having discussions that would be different. Somebody posting "Congrats" or "Cool" 500 times isn't really contributing to the forum, it's just giving them false creditbility.

Tylerc - lmao[/quotef7f20ae369]

Well, wut else r we suppose to say in the Brag Bag. IT is made for pplz to congrat one another. roll

DIABLO

31-07-2007 12:39:40

[quote04adafafff="babetran"][quote04adafafff="DIABLO"][quote04adafafff="Admin"]in my mind brag bag is a "discussion" forum and post count is (theoretically) a liveryli rough indicator of how much somebody contributes to discussions. as you're not really even allowed to have discussions in the trading post, it was sensible to have them not count.[/quote04adafafff]

Tylerc - lmao[/quote04adafafff]

Well, wut else r we suppose to say in the Brag Bag. IT is made for pplz to congrat one another. roll[/quote04adafafff]

Well yeah, but we don't need people posting "congrats" in every single thread, it makes them look like they're more trustworthy than they really are.

Margot530

31-07-2007 12:48:09

[quote3b97f0ed0b]Well, wut else r we suppose to say in the Brag Bag. IT is made for pplz to congrat one another.[/quote3b97f0ed0b]

Yes, but not [b3b97f0ed0b]just[/b3b97f0ed0b] that...we can promote the sites that pay us well, show others which sites are paying out, either well, or slow, (please make note of the people who say Finally) what prizes they have, and even get trades due to the way we phrase our post.

It is a discussion if we use it properly. Have had many people ask questions or make constructive comments, and do reply to them. Make use of it in a positive manner, and you will see your efforts pay off! wink

Margot D

ldybug1752

31-07-2007 12:48:49

When I visit the Brag Bag I congratulate friends and people I've traded with before, and I'll congratulate the posts with 0 congrats in them. Just because I congratulate a lot of people on their hard work doesn't mean I'm less trustworthy than I appear. I lol'd on this one..

Margot530

31-07-2007 12:55:55

[quotee641bbd4df="ldybug1752"]When I visit the Brag Bag I congratulate friends and people I've traded with before, and I'll congratulate the posts with 0 congrats in them. Just because I congratulate a lot of people on their hard work doesn't mean I'm less trustworthy than I appear. I lol'd on this one..[/quotee641bbd4df]

I agree there too Brenon, as I know you are trustworthy.

I have a tendency to check peoples posts if they have many, and see where they are [be641bbd4df]mostly[/colore641bbd4df] [/be641bbd4df]coming from, if it looks as though they have been here awhile, but can't do anything but post in Off Topic or Brag Bag, and are rarely helpful, not to mention a real low TR, then it makes me question them.

Margot D