New IP address? Help!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=66944

missalicia

20-07-2007 13:58:34

My computer crashed last week. I now have a new hardd rive/operating system but the same computer. Has my ip address changed? And if so, how do I log onto the sites I have lready been working on?

Margot530

20-07-2007 14:08:42

[quotec20cbf488d="missalicia"]My computer crashed last week. I now have a new hardd rive/operating system but the same computer. Has my ip address changed? And if so, how do I log onto the sites I have lready been working on?[/quotec20cbf488d]

I had the same issue, and no hun, your IP address will not change due to a new hard drive...you are fine, just log on normally.

Margot D

Big War Bird

20-07-2007 14:42:03

Your IP will change from time to time anyway.

manOFice

20-07-2007 14:44:44

It could have changed but you will be fine.

moneybonanzas

21-07-2007 03:43:04

Your IP address should only change when you change your internet provider. Any changes to the computer hardware shouldn't affect your IP address. However, even if your IP does change, it's not a big deal, as your IP can change periodically anyway.

The only problem is when your IP matches someone else's. A changed IP shouldn't cause any problems.

Hope this helped!

dmorris68

21-07-2007 08:28:00

[quote9cf5d723af="moneybonanzas"]Your IP address should only change when you change your internet provider.[/quote9cf5d723af]

Just for clarification and to avoid confusion, that is not true at all. DHCP addresses change all the time. Unless you have (and usually pay extra for) a static IP, DHCP leases expire and must be renewed periodically, anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. Usually, if the renewal request happens quickly enough, you'll keep the same IP, at least for awhile. Maybe several months at most. But eventually it WILL change, and some folks (like with my old DSL account) it will change every couple of weeks. Also, if you power off your cable/DSL modem regularly, or if you suffer a length power outage, when it powers up it will very often get a new IP because max lease time expires before the connection is re-established.

moneybonanzas

21-07-2007 10:32:22

[quote91028d1984="dmorris68"][quote91028d1984="moneybonanzas"]Your IP address should only change when you change your internet provider.[/quote91028d1984]

Just for clarification and to avoid confusion, that is not true at all. DHCP addresses change all the time. Unless you have (and usually pay extra for) a static IP, DHCP leases expire and must be renewed periodically, anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. Usually, if the renewal request happens quickly enough, you'll keep the same IP, at least for awhile. Maybe several months at most. But eventually it WILL change, and some folks (like with my old DSL account) it will change every couple of weeks. Also, if you power off your cable/DSL modem regularly, or if you suffer a length power outage, when it powers up it will very often get a new IP because max lease time expires before the connection is re-established.[/quote91028d1984]

Yup! That's why I said later in my post that IP addresses change periodically anyways.