Newbie with computer problems.

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=63447

tmfoster35

31-05-2007 08:08:38

Ever since I have started doing any of this, I have had nothing but computer trouble. JUst trying to post this question took me 5 tries. My computer worked great before this. I am constantly getting page can not be displayed, and I have to try about 4 or 5 times to get it to work, and like now, when I submit this, instead of it going through to submit, I get the page can not be displayed error. Sometimes a window even pops up that states can not open search window, and when I click ok, it brings me to it some times. Also, when I type in a web address, most of the time it throws me to a google search page. Has anyone ever run into any problems like this when started, and if so, how did you fix it.
I have deleted files, cookies, cleared history, defraged the computer, checked for processes running on the computer, ran ad-aware.
Not sure what to do next, and if my computer is hosed, it makes me weary about getting it fixed and trying this again.
Thanks for your help......

gambit00x

31-05-2007 10:47:34

I would check my internet connection. Sounds like you're having connectivity issues for one thing. Also sounds like some of your browser settings were changed. I know it is recommended that you shut down your firewall to do offers, but have you put it back on? Or I should ask do you have one? If not I recommend zone alarm.
But mainly it sounds like your connection's giving problems and I don't see how trading would affect that. Check your modem connections and call your ISP if you need to.

gambit00x

31-05-2007 10:51:39

Also recommend a program called hijack this. It finds stuff that adaware doesn't

Tholek

31-05-2007 11:43:08

One must be careful with hijackthis. It doesn't identify anything, just shows you what other things may not. You may find yourself removing something critical in belief that it's spyware.

gambit00x

31-05-2007 11:59:45

That's true, I'm assuming a certain level of computer expertise

TFOAF

31-05-2007 14:15:59

It could be connectivity problems like what gambit00x said.

cubbieco

31-05-2007 17:09:00

You may also try downloading firefox. You might just have one of those Internet Explorer "enhancements" that some third parties give you to make your browsing experience miserable.

tmfoster35

01-06-2007 07:41:46

Thanks you guys, for your help and your input. I do have a firewall that I do put back on after I do offers. I think I am going to call Bright house to have them come and check it out, since I have road runner.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

jy3

01-06-2007 08:43:43

i would do a virus scan and scan for adware. you may also want to reduce the programs that u have running in the background.

dmorris68

01-06-2007 08:49:28

I keep seeing people mentioning disabling of firewalls to complete freebie sites or offers.

This should liNEVER NEVER NEVERli be necessary! If you have a firewall that includes pop-up, cookie, or ad blockers, then turn those individual features off, but never disable the firewall completely. Outside of those blocker features, there is nothing about a firewall itself that will interfere with offer completions, and you open yourself up to all sorts of nasties if you turn it off -- [i97fe477750]especially[/i97fe477750] if you're on dial-up or directly connected through a broadband modem without NAT functionality.

If you have a router between the PC and the modem connection then you're protected from incoming connections but you still lose the outgoing protection that software firewalls give you (an exception being the WinXP Firewall, which doesn't protect you from rogue outgoing traffic anyway).

Margot530

01-06-2007 13:31:38

[quotec18d49fc3d="dmorris68"]I keep seeing people mentioning disabling of firewalls to complete freebie sites or offers.

This should liNEVER NEVER NEVERli be necessary! If you have a firewall that includes pop-up, cookie, or ad blockers, then turn those individual features off, but never disable the firewall completely. Outside of those blocker features, there is nothing about a firewall itself that will interfere with offer completions, and you open yourself up to all sorts of nasties if you turn it off -- [ic18d49fc3d]especially[/ic18d49fc3d] if you're on dial-up or directly connected through a broadband modem without NAT functionality.

If you have a router between the PC and the modem connection then you're protected from incoming connections but you still lose the outgoing protection that software firewalls give you (an exception being the WinXP Firewall, which doesn't protect you from rogue outgoing traffic anyway).[/quotec18d49fc3d]

Thank you so much for saying that! I can't imagine anyone letting down their firewall to complete offers! Only as you state, disable the individual pop up blocker and enable cookie features...wow what a mess of trouble you would be inviting into you computer! shock

Margot wink

sandra habina

07-06-2007 08:35:03

This is very good information and I am bumping it up so more new traders can see it. I do not even know how to block a firewall. Margot - I will get with you on that issue soon. Thankyou all.